Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,171 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,

I am 23 year old male originally from Blacksburg, VA and now moving to St. Louis. I will be working in Maryland Heights. I NEED YOUR HELP with finding an apartment with following constraints :

1. Rent : 700 $ / month

2. Safe area ( most important ) I NEED YOUR OPINION HERE

3. Locality with lots of young/ single people and near good night life/ lots of things to do.

4.20 min from Maryland heights.

I've shortlisted following apartments with their area codes, please tell me your opinion regarding the best one with respect to the above constraints :

1. TGM Cedar Trace ( Maryland Heights ) 63043

2. Whisper hollow apartments ( Maryland heights ) 63043

3. Maryland park apartments ( Maryland heights ) 63043

4. Pavilion apartments ( Maryland heights ) 63043

5. San Rafael place ( Endicott park ) 63114

6. Imperial gardens appartments ( near airport ) 63074

7. Camden Cross creek apartments ( Camden Cross Creek drive) 63141

8. Villages of Wyncrest ( near University City ) 63132

9. West Pointe appartments ( Maryland heights ) 63146

10.Oak tree appartments (Cedar Glen drive ) 63114

11. Covington place ( Covington manor lane, Mehville ) 63125

12. Kirkwood Bluffs ( Timerbrook Rd.) 63122

13. Hampton gardens ( Suson pl ) 63139

14. Waterford manor ( Manchester) 63021

15.Marlborough trails ( Afton ) 63123

16. Park 44 appartments ( West Pine Boulevard ) 63108

17. Whitehall appartments ( Concord ) 63128

18.Monte Carlo appartment ( Crestwood ) 63126

19. Ellisworth appartmnets ( West Pine boulevard) 63108

20. Halfmoon village ( Maryland heights ) 63114
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,895,034 times
Hmm that's a tough one. Most of those apartments do not meet #3 as they are in suburban areas full of families. Hampton Gardens is good and I used to live really close to there but you're looking at a 30 minute or so commute to Maryland Heights. I'd keep looking somewhere around U.City and the Loop. Good nightlife and singles scene and you will have a relatively short commute to work. You should find something around $700 in that area.

And don't limit yourself to large complexes...the city and inner county are full of small managed duplexes that are often a better deal in terms of cost and quality.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,678,767 times
If proximity to other people your age and good nightlife you'll probably die of boredom in the areas your're looking at. A friend of mine moved from an apartment right off the loop in U City to a place in Maryland Heights to be closer to his job, and he has hated it (and is looking to move either back to the city or out of the area entirely now)

I second boom's suggestion to look at the University City area. Definitely check out Craigslist.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM

321 posts, read 1,005,695 times
There are actually quite a few younger adults living in Maryland Heights off Bennington there (your #1, #2, #3 and #4) and that area is definitely extremely safe, but as other mentioned the "nightlife" is a very suburban kind of nightlife. Many younger adults love it there but many others prefer to live closer to where there is more activity. A lot depends on your definition of "good night life / lots of things to do" and if you would be happy with the more suburban night life of someplace like Maryland Heights. Of course many of the younger folks who live there just drive into the city or mid-county areas a few times a week and hang out in the suburbs the rest of the time. There is nothing wrong with that kind of lifestyle! However, if you are someone who prefers to be able to walk or take a quick drive to interesting places to eat or visit more than once or twice a week, Maryland Heights may not be the best place for you to live.

A good trade off for your commute, desire for safety, but being close to fun activities would be... well, U. City first came to mind to me too. Are we all starting to sound like a broken record?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,171 times
Thanks a lot guys ! I'll look for a place near University City. It is close to both my work place and downtown,.....

Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,696,763 times
If you're looking in U-City, I'd keep in mind that the southern part is more desirable than the northern part. I'm not familiar enough with the northern part, but I think people generally think of Olive Blvd as the dividing line.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM

506 posts, read 1,013,385 times
I'd just like to repeat what others have said--almost all of the areas you've mentioned don't fit #3 at all. U-City would definitely be one of the better choices on that list, but as someone else mentioned, it's pretty big and you definitely want to be in the southern part (near Delmar) if possible. U-City doesn't say "singles and night life" quite as loudly as Wash Ave. or Central West End, but it's more affordable and closer to where you'll be working. Personally of the places you've mentioned, I would recommend #16 and #19, which are both in Central West End. Having lived both near U-City and in CWE I can say as a guy in his early 20s that I enjoyed living in CWE much, much more.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,605,418 times
In my opinion Maryland Heights is a great place to raise a family but not a fun place for young single adults. Stear your search toward Clayton, the Cental West End, Downtown, Soulard, Dogtown and the Tower Grove Park area.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,678,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I'd just like to repeat what others have said--almost all of the areas you've mentioned don't fit #3 at all. U-City would definitely be one of the better choices on that list, but as someone else mentioned, it's pretty big and you definitely want to be in the southern part (near Delmar) if possible. U-City doesn't say "singles and night life" quite as loudly as Wash Ave. or Central West End, but it's more affordable and closer to where you'll be working. Personally of the places you've mentioned, I would recommend #16 and #19, which are both in Central West End. Having lived both near U-City and in CWE I can say as a guy in his early 20s that I enjoyed living in CWE much, much more.
Oops, I gave up around 10. Either of those would be worth considering -- though they'd exceed your commute time somewhat.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,931,587 times
I would scrap all those options and live downtown. Meets 1-3. 4 may be tough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis