Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,520,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Just in case anyone missed it: The final design selections for the arch grounds (shown in today's Post-Dispatch) all propose capping the depressed portion of I-70. The depictions all feature a seamless connection between the riverfront, arch grounds, and the rest of downtown--unimpeded by interstate traffic flowing beneath.
I was wondering if there going to cap it, were they going to improve the road at the same time? I am hoping they would if they cap it decide on at the very least add the shoulders and emergency lanes that modern highways have. Of course you would have to build under the two roads on either side but it would be better to do it all at once then to cap it and having to rebuild the now underground highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,985 times
Quote:
Just in case anyone missed it: The final design selections for the arch grounds (shown in today's Post-Dispatch) all propose capping the depressed portion of I-70. The depictions all feature a seamless connection between the riverfront, arch grounds, and the rest of downtown--unimpeded by interstate traffic flowing beneath.

Just in case anyone missed it: 4 of the 5 teams recommend the removal of interstate 70.

Most Arch design teams: Remove I-70 downtown - St. Louis Business Journal

from the article:
The Arch grounds designers didn’t include the highway removal in their renderings unveiled this week because the winning project must be completed by 2015, which doesn’t allow enough time to cut out I-70, said Nate Forst, a member of the City to River steering committee. But all of the teams, except the one comprised of PWP Landscape Architecture, Foster + Partners, and Civitas, said in their proposals that they support removing I-70 from downtown or that their design proposals complement such a plan.
“The benefits of removing the highway altogether are clear,” said the MVVA team, which is led by New York-based Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates.

And below is a list of all the organizations on board with the highway removal

Chivvis Development, developers of Chouteau’s Landing, just south of the Arch
Citizens for Modern Transit, local transit advocacy organization
Coldwell Banker Commercial, area commercial real estate firm
Drury Hotels
Environmental Operations, developers of former St. Louis Centre mall and One City Centre office tower
Gentry’s Landing, high-rise riverfront apartment community
Hilliker Corp., area commercial real estate firm
Laclede’s Landing Merchant’s Association
Laclede’s Landing Redevelopment Corp., organization representing Laclede’s Landing property owners
Landmarks Association of St. Louis, historic preservation organization
Lodging Hospitality Management, owner/operator of Ballpark Hilton
LoftWorks and Craig Heller, developers of Syndicate Trust, The 411, City Gourmet and several other downtown buildings
Mansion House, high-rise riverfront apartment community
Mayor’s Vanguard Cabinet, planning and land use committee
North Riverside Holdings, led by Tim Tucker and Mark Schulte, owners of Cotton Belt building on North Riverfront
Open Space Council, which is committed to conserving, protecting and sustaining land and water resources throughout the St. Louis region
Spinnaker St. Louis and Amos Harris, developers of Laurel project in the former downtown Dillard’s building
St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission
St. Louis Chapter of American Institute of Architects
William Kerr Foundation, which is committed to projects designed to improve education, enrich the environment and promote health and accessibility with offices on North Riverfront
Source: City to River

Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The issue is that trips locally would be significantly long, example someone in Lemay or South City going to the Airport and vise-versa. (This is worse if its a truck) One issue is just the lack of North-South routes in the metro area, if everyone has to take the same one route congestion is an issue. The areas that an I-70 would be really effected are areas in direction from downtown are South along I-55 and West along I-70 where going from one end to the other then would all be forced to take I-270 no other alternates exist. (This really legthens times for if either point is within 270) The biggest issue is that most of the highways in the St. Louis area tend East-West while options going to places North-South are limited. (on the Missouri side only 270 and the 55-70 corridor in the city go North/South)

Do you guys not understand there will still be a boulevard there. No one is proposing removal of 70 and memorial drive. There is no reason someone from Lemay can't still take the EXACT SAME ROUTE they take now. We're only talking 1.4 miles and maybe 5 additional minutes MAX.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Do you guys not understand there will still be a boulevard there. No one is proposing removal of 70 and memorial drive. There is no reason someone from Lemay can't still take the EXACT SAME ROUTE they take now. We're only talking 1.4 miles and maybe 5 additional minutes MAX.
It isn't so much cars using it but do you want to see a large number of 18 wheelers and various trucks use it? Such a scenario would involve some serious safety issues and the potential for high numbers of pedistrians being hit and/or crashes.

My guess is any boulevard proposal having the highway underground will be rejected by either MODOT, the State government, or even the Federal government for some reason. If such a proposal of removing the highway did happen expect plans to resurface on the cancelled highway proposals of either the Downtown West connector or 170 thorough South County.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,572,969 times
moorlander, please take a good look at your two previous posts. In the earlier one, you state "4 out of the 5 teams recommended removal of interstate 70." In the following post you say "no one is proposing removal of 70" (my highlights for emphasis). These statements completely contradict each other. Would you try to explain what you actually intended to say?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
moorlander, please take a good look at your two previous posts. In the earlier one, you state "4 out of the 5 teams recommended removal of interstate 70." In the following post you say "no one is proposing removal of 70" (my highlights for emphasis). These statements completely contradict each other. Would you try to explain what you actually intended to say?
Wow you took that out of context. To make it a little more clear I guess I should have said "no one is proposing removing BOTH 70 AND memorial drive and leaving no N-S route."

Technically both would be removed and redone as a boulevard. Whether it is renamed or still called memorial drive is inconsequential.

Last edited by moorlander; 08-18-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,021,618 times
Almost everyone know that Interstates were the death of many small. What many people don't know that many urban areas were the victims of poor planning. Neighborhoods were divided, access to rivers and other recreation areas were shut down or made more difficult. Some cities realized this many years ago and made changes to correct these mistakes. Saint Louis has that opportunity know with the Arch grounds being remodeled

Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM

^ well put D. / applause

Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,891,441 times
Best DP post...ever? My thoughts exactly - 70 needs to go.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Best DP post...ever? My thoughts exactly - 70 needs to go.
I just don't think it can go, but putting it underground would have all of the benefits of removing it without the downside of actually doing it. I do think the capping the depressed section is inevitable and will happen, it is just what to do with the elevated section just North of it is another question. I am thinking a cut and cover method of rebuilding that section is possible once the new bridge is done. (part of the cost could be offset by having the land above the road up for sale)

I am hoping any covering of the depressed section also involves improving that section of highway as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis