Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 59,498 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to St. Louis, and I am looking to join some young professional organizations or looking for events that cater to singles. It seems to be very difficult to date here because everyone my age is married! Help!! I am not opting for dating websites either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
Are you a college graduate? See if your alma mater has an alumni club in the area. Some are more active than others.
If you're into the bar scene, I always found that the Central West End was filled with young professional single people.
Check out some of the athletic leauges in town. Even if you're not particularly athletic...joining a goofy kickball team can be a great time.
Of course, you can always just join a group that is focused on something you like. Volunteering, religious organization, book club, whatever.

When I was single, I pretty much dated people I was introduced to through friends, or met while out at bars with friends.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,362 times
mkallen, I have the same problem as you. It's tough finding a date in this city it seems. I never had this much trouble in other cities I've lived in. Like you said, everyone around my age seems to be married.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,652 times
How old are you? Metropolis St. Louis is a fun organization focusing young professionals in the city. There is also meetup.com which has a ton of St. Louis area groups, including a couple young professional singles groups. I've met some fun people through events hosted by yelp.com.

These things are full of transplants and well travelled locals, so it's easy to meet people you have common interests with. I also see that you moved to Compton Heights...excellent choice! That neighborhood is awesome.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
Where are you guys hanging out that everyone is married? How old are you, 35? I just don't find meeting new people or finding dates to be difficult.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Wondering the same as moorlander. Are you living in the suburbs or do you work with an older crowd? I think the real issue is more that St. Louis isn't full of transplants as as such a lot of the people who live there now hang out with the same crowd they did in high school or college.

That's not to say St. Louis is cliquish, because I really don't see much evidence that that is true (Chicago was MUCh more imo)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM

I am 24. Recently moved here from Memphis, TN. It doesn't exactly look wonderful being a single female in a bar by herself, you know? I hang out in Soulard, CWE, and local hole in the walls in Tower Grove near my neighborhood.

Also, being a nanny doesn't exactly give me the best opportunity to meet people either. So the most social discourse I get out of my day is watching a 3 and 4 year old.... I moved to St. Louis cold turkey with no family or friends here. I honestly do not know a soul in this city.

I didn't know about meetup.com, and I did come across Metropolis last night where I signed up for the newsletter.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:14 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
How would you describe yourself? Are you outgoing? Driven? Cute? Free spirit?

Have you met any of your neighbors? Once you make a few friendships the friendship ball will start to snowball.

How did you find the nanny job? Does your employer have any suggs or single friends?

Try one of these to meet new people
Joining a workout/yoga/spin class
Alumni Club
Softball/Kickball/running/cycling/volleyball/walking team or club
Do you have a college degree? Find a group in that focus. I attend Yellow-Tie International Business Development Association — Yellow-Tie The last event had 100's in attendence
Parties in the Park - Parties in the Park is this wednesday. They also have one downtown that is fun.

Check the rft/stltoday/metromix etc for events and festivals going on. Grab a wingman/wingwoman and go. It's VERY easy to meet people after they've had one or two.

Attend any of the bars surrounding the stadium on gameday. Very easy to meet people there.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,652 times
I understand. I don't go to bars by myself even when there's a good chance I will run into someone I know there. It sounds like you hang out in the right areas if you are looking to meet a guy about your age with a good job, educated, and stable. I think your best bet is to go to Metropolis events, meetup events, and maybe take a stab at online dating.

But don't go into that kind of stuff looking for dates, but instead looking for friends who will have single friends that you can get to know. I tend to agree that St. Louis, like many mid-sized metro areas and cities in the midwest, has too many "Let's get married and have kids ASAP" types. We did get on the lousy Forbes magazine best place to be single though, like #23 or something like that. So it's not that bad, but I think you will have to be a bit more persistant & patient than if you were in a larger city like Chicago or NYC.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by mkallen24; 08-10-2010 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis