Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone linked this yet or not, but here is the STL Transplants Group, good place to start: St. Louis TransPlants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
From the St. Louis Transplant Website:

"Since your arrival, you have probably been wondering…Where is it that I go to find the people who don’t care where I went to high school? Where do I find the people without a core group of friends they’ve known since seventh grade? Where do I meet someone outside of work or the St. Louisan I married? How do I find the restaurants and neighborhoods I don’t know to look for? How do I find the people and places that would make me feel at home…more reminiscent of Chicago, Atlanta, New York, LA, San Francisco, Washington DC or the big city mentality from which I just moved away? Where are the people like me?...The people that like NEW people and new places? Where are the other interesting, dynamic, cosmopolitan and sophisticated residents who’ve actually lived outside the Midwest or even the United States?"

says a lot about the established locals

Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM

^ Get a life, seriously, why don't you do something else besides hang on a forum for a city you no longer reside?
Lets see, the website also says:
In fact - We LOVE this city! It has so much to offer – and even though we have traveled and lived all across the globe - we wouldn’t be anywhere else.

We are convinced you’ll feel the same. We want people like you (TransPlants) in our life. We need you here. And like all cities, attracting and retaining quality people to St. Louis is good for everyone. The more great people stay - the more we will attract.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Or it was written by someone like you.

And fwiw, big cities are the exact same way. I lived in Chicago for two years and because I was working in the suburbs with an older crowd, I struggled to make friends. There's only two people I still talk to from there, and i probably only really hung out with each of them half a dozen times.

It sucks. A lot. So OP I totally know how you feel. It's HARD to be a transplant, but please try not to be convinced that this is some sort of endemic problem with St. Louis when it's clearly not.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Face the facts its very tough for Transplants in St. Louis.

I really tried. Made some local friends, but most were transplants like myself with the same gripes.

I already know of 4 families that have since moved back to Washington State, California, New York and Connecticut

Old 08-13-2010, 03:48 PM

^
Trust me, it was much harder to meet people when I lived in Florida. I have had absolutely no problem in STL. Probably because I happen to be outgoing, friendly and open. If you are half as condescending and rude in real life as you are on this board, I can see why you have no friends. Look at yourself, you are living in CA, loving your life out there, but spend your time trolling a STL forum spouting off hateful things, this can't be good for your psyche.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 PM

only letting transplants or potential transplants know what they may be getting into.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 59,517 times
This is my thought -- I am going to give the transplants idea a try b/c clearly that a step in a direction I have been looking for, and it sounds like a great idea to me. So thank you for that idea!! I look forward to seeing what it is about.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkallen24 View Post
This is my thought -- I am going to give the transplants idea a try b/c clearly that a step in a direction I have been looking for, and it sounds like a great idea to me. So thank you for that idea!! I look forward to seeing what it is about.
mkallen and I have met in person and she is a great gal to hang out with. If you're looking for an outgoing woman who will get straight to the point and open with you about pretty much everything, then you will enjoy hanging out with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis