Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM

37 posts, read 99,953 times

Advertisements

I remember reading several months ago about a stimulus package that would fund high-speed trains which would run from STL to Chicago. Any word on the progress? Are there currently trains running this route, or is car/plane the only way to travel between these two cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
There's already a train. It runs from Chicago Union Station to the Amtrak station in downtown St Louis near the Civic Center MetroLink stop, with several stops in between.

Besides train, car, and plane, there's also the bus (I prefer Megabus). It picks up at St Louis Union Station, and drops off at Chicago Union Station. I kind of prefer the bus, because of the possibility of long delays with the trains (they share the track with freight trains, which have priority on the track from my understanding).

I know there's plans for the high speed rail, and it'll shave about 90 minutes off the commute. I know that IL received federal funding, but I don't even know if construction has commenced.

Last edited by billiken; 07-19-2010 at 08:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 PM

76 posts, read 235,623 times
I cant give you a status update regarding the high speed rail progress. I can tell you that Amtrak provides service from St. Louis to Chicago and vice-versa. It runs from Union Station in St. Louis, which is off Market St. in between 18th and 14th streets, to Union Station in Chicago, on Canal St. in the Loop. I have taken it several times. It usually takes around 5.5 hours from station to station. When you take into consideration the time it takes to fly (driving to the airport, security, inevitable hour long wait, getting baggage, then taking the Orang line into the city; Amtrak is not a bad option. I like the fact that I can show up a few minutes before departure, sit in a large seat with an A/C outlet and my laptop/heaphones out as long as I want, get up whenever I want, then not wait for baggage when it arrives. Not to mention you will almost never see a train cancelled or significantly delayed. Further, you can get very cheap tickets. Finally, it picks you up and drops you off downtown...whereas Lambert, Midway, and O'Hare are located 20 or more miles away from the business districts.
And, before you ask, I don't work for Amtrak! I just think its an underrated means of travel to and from Chicago.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM

^The train doesn't leave from Union Station in St Louis...there's nothing really transit related in that building. Amtrak has it's own station that's essentially next to the Civic Center MetroLink stop. They recently expanded/updated the station.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Ah, yes, it is now called Gateway Station. Nice pick up. It is located pretty close to Union Station (now a mall).

Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keethler View Post
Ah, yes, it is now called Gateway Station. Nice pick up. It is located pretty close to Union Station (now a mall).

And for those of us in the county, the Kirkwood Amtrak station is very nice! A genuine historic throwback of an old train station in downtown Kirkwood.

inahandbasket

Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 PM

I really like downtown Kirkwood + Amtrak station. There's also a stop in Alton for those in the Metro East, but I've never stepped out to check it out.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,207 times
I've taken the train a number of times from StL to Chicago. It's a great time!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM

St. Louis-Chicago high-speed rail project to start - St. Louis Business Journal

Here is the latest on the "higher" speed rail. If the trip is reduced to under four hours, I won't ever fly to Chicago again. Door to door, even when cutting it close, takes at least four hours.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM

37 posts, read 99,953 times
Thx for the update and comments. This would truly be a more convenient and cheaper way of travel compared to a flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis