Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 PM

163 posts, read 617,092 times

Advertisements

I will be passing through Springfield and might spend a day exploring the place. What are the must see's in Springfield that might entice me to move to the area? I understand that one day is very short but that's all I got. What would impress me to come back and and investigate the area a little more? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,564,613 times
Not trying to entice you to move to SW MO, but if you're visiting for one day, I recommend:

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield

Dickerson Park Zoo

Springfield Art Museum

After a day of enjoying Springfield, I hope you'll drive carefully back to your home.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 PM

Where is the nightlife? Best place to shop (which usually gives me a feel for a place), good restaurants? Or is everything spread out?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,564,613 times
Oh, of course, you're a big-city person, so shopping is more important to you than Civil War history, zoology or art (because you're so smart and sophisticated being from the big city).

For shopping, go to the Battlefield Mall (instead of the National Battlefield).

Lots of good restaurants, and there is a thread devoted to that already, so go take a look at it.

Yes, Springfield is spread out.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 PM

914 posts, read 2,209,472 times
Springfield has no special "shopping area" to speak of. The Battlefield Mall is just another suburban mall with all the usual chain stores. There are many locally operated retail businesses which offer a more unique shopping experience (the Rusty Moose and Surplus City both leap to mind), but they exist in various odd out-of-the-way locations. Once upon a time everyone would have sent you to the Bass Pro Shops, but they have locations all over the country now, so even that is not all that special; however Springfield is the "mother" store.

Night life? The restaurants empty out here after 7:00 pm. We go home, watch a bit of tv, and go to bed. There is a large bar scene downtown, largely driven by the college crowd. Downtown is easy to find and easy to navigate. For more information on live music check the Springfield News-Leader website: News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader | Springfield news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Springfield, Missouri . I think they have locations and times of whatever is happening, but it may appear only on certain days, I am not sure. Does Cartoons still have live music on weekends? Anyone know?

I cannot really think of how to survey Springfield in a day and "find" it. If it is a nice day, try Phelps Grove Park and Sequiota Park or maybe the Nature Center. Watch what the people are doing. Go to Dillons, Price Cutter, and Harter House supermarkets and see what is - and isn't - for sale. Take a look at Missouri State University, Evangel College, and Drury College. Get a sandwich at McSalty's, an order of three tacos at Mexican Villa (National at Bennett location, please!), or a milkshake and whatever at Steak and Shake (either the S. Glenstone or St. Louis st. locations) - and sit a while and observe.

Sorry, I can't really think of any better suggestions.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Springfield has no special "shopping area" to speak of. The Battlefield Mall is just another suburban mall with all the usual chain stores. There are many locally operated retail businesses which offer a more unique shopping experience (the Rusty Moose and Surplus City both leap to mind), but they exist in various odd out-of-the-way locations. Once upon a time everyone would have sent you to the Bass Pro Shops, but they have locations all over the country now, so even that is not all that special; however Springfield is the "mother" store.

Night life? The restaurants empty out here after 7:00 pm. We go home, watch a bit of tv, and go to bed. There is a large bar scene downtown, largely driven by the college crowd. Downtown is easy to find and easy to navigate. For more information on live music check the Springfield News-Leader website: News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader | Springfield news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Springfield, Missouri . I think they have locations and times of whatever is happening, but it may appear only on certain days, I am not sure. Does Cartoons still have live music on weekends? Anyone know?

I cannot really think of how to survey Springfield in a day and "find" it. If it is a nice day, try Phelps Grove Park and Sequiota Park or maybe the Nature Center. Watch what the people are doing. Go to Dillons, Price Cutter, and Harter House supermarkets and see what is - and isn't - for sale. Take a look at Missouri State University, Evangel College, and Drury College. Get a sandwich at McSalty's, an order of three tacos at Mexican Villa (National at Bennett location, please!), or a milkshake and whatever at Steak and Shake (either the S. Glenstone or St. Louis st. locations) - and sit a while and observe.

Sorry, I can't really think of any better suggestions.
Thanks Arrby, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I have no idea why the previous poster was so upset that I could not visit the Battlefield or Zoo in the limited hours that I will be in Springfield, as that would not be the determining factor to move to the area. Seeing how the locals act and react in their natural environment would be.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,105,187 times
I recently discovered the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden in Nathanael Greene Park (2400 South Scenic) and found it charming. I believe it costs a couple of bucks to get in.
I recently posted a thread about boat tours of a cave in Springfield. I haven't had a chance to try it yet; I think they are doing it through mid-October. If you will be in town on a Sunday I would check it out.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/sprin...park-cave.html
There is also a nice, large cave just north of Springfield on Hwy. 13 that is open daily (I believe) for tours. You won't miss it; they advertise heavily with billboards.
I really like Dickerson Park Zoo. It's a good sized zoo, not so large as to take all day but not so small that you're out of there in an hour. Just right for an afternoon of fun.
I would check the restaurant thread for recommendations. The best restaurants, in my experience, tend to be the harder to find ones.
I have not found any shopping area of particular interest in Springfield. Almost all your standard stores are there, as well as many mom & pop shops. Couldn't tell you about the nightlife either; I mostly visit during the day.
When I was exploring areas to see how people acted, just sitting in a small, local restaurant (even a McDonald's) often proved insightful.
Springfield is easy to navigate, you really can't get lost and there are no neighborhoods that you'd be afraid to drive through. Have fun exploring and enjoy your visit.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I recently discovered the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden in Nathanael Greene Park (2400 South Scenic) and found it charming. I believe it costs a couple of bucks to get in.
I recently posted a thread about boat tours of a cave in Springfield. I haven't had a chance to try it yet; I think they are doing it through mid-October. If you will be in town on a Sunday I would check it out.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/sprin...park-cave.html
There is also a nice, large cave just north of Springfield on Hwy. 13 that is open daily (I believe) for tours. You won't miss it; they advertise heavily with billboards.
I really like Dickerson Park Zoo. It's a good sized zoo, not so large as to take all day but not so small that you're out of there in an hour. Just right for an afternoon of fun.
I would check the restaurant thread for recommendations. The best restaurants, in my experience, tend to be the harder to find ones.
I have not found any shopping area of particular interest in Springfield. Almost all your standard stores are there, as well as many mom & pop shops. Couldn't tell you about the nightlife either; I mostly visit during the day.
When I was exploring areas to see how people acted, just sitting in a small, local restaurant (even a McDonald's) often proved insightful.
Springfield is easy to navigate, you really can't get lost and there are no neighborhoods that you'd be afraid to drive through. Have fun exploring and enjoy your visit.
Thanks Christina. I will be visiting on a Sunday. I hope to get to the Zoo, Battlefields (one of my hobbies) etc. at another time. It's good to know that Springfield is easy to navigate as that was a concern.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,198,546 times
I enjoy going here

Just For Him
1334 E Battlefield St,

Its a Gift Shop but has nice stuff for Men.

Might go to a Springfield Cardinals Game if here durring the season.

Boogie Cafe on South St.

hillman

Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,850 times
Although it's not currently open to the public (due to a snafu with the City of Springfield), the Pythian Castle is worth driving out to see.

Pythian Castle - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area