Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times

Advertisements

How many people lost their lives in demonstrations when the idiot in Florida burnt one Quran a few weeks ago? Now Springfield, Missouri??

Springfield faith leader decries threat targeting Muslims

USA Today picked up the story today so it isn't going unnoticed. I always enjoy reading the comments to controversial topics, and seeing what the scarier parts of society think. This story had a comment that ended "When you get a jet that crashes into your Mosque, call us so we can get the Govt to fund a BIG CHRISTIAN Church to build VERY close... OH, BTW, Don't go blaming Christians if something like that happens, because Christianity is a religion of....PEACE."

And there you have the words of wisdom from gruntled1933.

There really needs to be a smiley face on here for "laughing so hard my spleen just ruptured". Reference the comment, not the story topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Why are they surprised? There has been Marches and Get togethers showing how everyone in Springfield is one Big Happy Family.

They forget that at one time Springfield had a Large Black Population then because of one incident most left then for years you didn't see a Black in the city.

Now they can say what they like but feelings have not changed down deep how people in Springfield and surrounding area feel about outsiders.

brushrunner

Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 PM

150 posts, read 244,010 times
Would you really expect anything less? One of the nice things about Springfield is the free comedic entertainment. All you have to do is wait for one of locals to start talking. Always good for hours of laughs.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Have they had to ratchet up security for that idiot?
Everyone I know in Gainesville is screaming because their tax $ are going to increased patrols for the local village idiot aka Pastor Jones.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Have they had to ratchet up security for that idiot?
Everyone I know in Gainesville is screaming because their tax $ are going to increased patrols for the local village idiot aka Pastor Jones.
The police have no duty to protect. FL has CCW; if the outspoken Qu'ran buring pastor thinks he needs security detail he should pay out of his own pocket; or let his church, who must condone his activities, pay for it. No reason in the world the taxpayers should foot that bill in FL. Same should hold true anywhere.

Hate crimes happen everywhere regardless of what religion or place of worship is the target. None should be treated any differently than the other. One cannot control what radicals overseas choose to do and thus this incident in Springfield should be given no further publicity than were it a Christian church or Synagogue defaced, IMO. The OP's MMV.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The police have no duty to protect. FL has CCW; if the outspoken Qu'ran buring pastor thinks he needs security detail he should pay out of his own pocket; or let his church, who must condone his activities, pay for it. No reason in the world the taxpayers should foot that bill in FL. Same should hold true anywhere.
Well, duh.....
You can say that all you wish, but the fact of the matter is they have increased patrols in the area of Gainesville where the church is.
Did you really think I was not aware that Fl has CCW?
I'm married to a Marine, for crying out loud.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The OP's MMV.
I see you have used this on the forum before - and it doesn't appear to be used toward people you agree with.

Since the internet has no record of such an abbreviation beyond "mileage may vary", could you enlighten us on your intended meaning?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
While I agree with you from a personal point of view, having been involved in law enforcement, the police do have a duty to protect everyone - even the jerks. If they didn't, they could take a convicted child rapist out of the courtroom and throw him to the angry mob.

Quote:
Hate crimes happen everywhere regardless of what religion or place of worship is the target. None should be treated any differently than the other. One cannot control what radicals overseas choose to do and thus this incident in Springfield should be given no further publicity than were it a Christian church or Synagogue defaced, IMO. The OP's MMV.
I would agree that this will regrettably get a lot more press than a small Baptist church being burnt down by some redneck kid - because the press know the hyper sensitivity of the matter to those of the Muslim faith and how easily they will be inflamed by it. We can say we don't care, and that these people are fanatical - but while they are killing each other during these protests, they are also strapping bombs to their chests and walking into places where our soldiers are stationed. To on one hand say we support our troops, while on the other hand we say inflaming the 'radicals' overseas is not somehow our responsibility .....

I see where you are coming from - but I think because of the way things are, whether I agree or disagree with them, this kind of stupidity needs to be stopped - and while we have soldiers living amongst the 'radicals', as you refer to them, we really shouldn't be intentionally ticking them off.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 PM

And we are back OFF the map.

According to this Muslim site, city and religious leaders are being cast in a favorable light condemning this hate crime.

But if you read the article closely - they have the WRONG Springfield!!

US City United Against Anti-Islam Threats - Americas - News - OnIslam.net

First they take the Simpsons - now they want our Una-scribbler.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:18 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
And we are back OFF the map.

According to this Muslim site, city and religious leaders are being cast in a favorable light condemning this hate crime.

But if you read the article closely - they have the WRONG Springfield!!

US City United Against Anti-Islam Threats - Americas - News - OnIslam.net

First they take the Simpsons - now they want our Una-scribbler.

The really sad part is that there's a picture saying Springfield MISSOURI. lol. I guess us Missourians are never gonna get a positive reputation. Maybe that could have balanced out the fact that Jones is from Cape Girardeau. Cape has an Islamic center and I'm surprised that it hasn't been targeted recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area