Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The really sad part is that there's a picture saying Springfield MISSOURI. lol. I guess us Missourians are never gonna get a positive reputation. Maybe that could have balanced out the fact that Jones is from Cape Girardeau. Cape has an Islamic center and I'm surprised that it hasn't been targeted recently.
Be thankful. It keeps the riff raff away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Comments in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
While I agree with you from a personal point of view, having been involved in law enforcement, the police do have a duty to protect everyone - even the jerks. If they didn't, they could take a convicted child rapist out of the courtroom and throw him to the angry mob.

Actually, no, the court decisions and case law do not back up your claim of "police have a duty to protect". Police have no duty to protect a woman who has a restraining order against a violent husband, boyfriend, stalker. Thus, restraining orders are worth no more than the paper they are written upon.

I would agree that this will regrettably get a lot more press than a small Baptist church being burnt down by some redneck kid - because the press know the hyper sensitivity of the matter to those of the Muslim faith and how easily they will be inflamed by it. We can say we don't care, and that these people are fanatical - but while they are killing each other during these protests, they are also strapping bombs to their chests and walking into places where our soldiers are stationed. To on one hand say we support our troops, while on the other hand we say inflaming the 'radicals' overseas is not somehow our responsibility .....

How can you or I be responsible for the reaction of others? Simple, we cannot. Though, the media could stop giving it so much attention. How can we be responsible for the actions of criminals who deface private property? Again, we cannot.

I see where you are coming from - but I think because of the way things are, whether I agree or disagree with them, this kind of stupidity needs to be stopped - and while we have soldiers living amongst the 'radicals', as you refer to them, we really shouldn't be intentionally ticking them off.
Our soldiers are in harm's way regardless of the actions of jerks who deface houses of worship. While of course it is not adviseable to stir a hornets nest I'd suggest dhimification via political correctness is much, much worse. YMMV.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually, no, the court decisions and case law do not back up your claim of "police have a duty to protect". Police have no duty to protect a woman who has a restraining order against a violent husband, boyfriend, stalker. Thus, restraining orders are worth no more than the paper they are written upon.
I stated the police have a duty to 'protect' .... I did not say the police have a duty to 'run guard duty for every person in potential trouble'.

If the police in Gainesville are working personal security for this preacher, then the citizens of that community have a right to be upset. If they are parked outside the church during services, or patrolling the area heavier than normal, it is more likely an attempt to insure no situation arises by scaring off trouble thru 'preventive enforcement'.

Preventive enforcement is crime prevention without having to do much more than being visible. If you ever took your foot off the gas because you saw a cop on the road, you proved preventive enforcement works.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
I stated the police have a duty to 'protect' .... I did not say the police have a duty to 'run guard duty for every person in potential trouble'.

If the police in Gainesville are working personal security for this preacher, then the citizens of that community have a right to be upset. If they are parked outside the church during services, or patrolling the area heavier than normal, it is more likely an attempt to insure no situation arises by scaring off trouble thru 'preventive enforcement'.

Preventive enforcement is crime prevention without having to do much more than being visible. If you ever took your foot off the gas because you saw a cop on the road, you proved preventive enforcement works.
The police in Gainesville have increased patrols, no one is working personal security on the taxpayer dime.
Now, why hasnt Mogal enlightened us as to what "YMMV" means?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The police in Gainesville have increased patrols, no one is working personal security on the taxpayer dime.
Now, why hasnt Mogal enlightened us as to what "YMMV" means?

Your
Mileage
May
Vary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area