Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,318,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Really bummed Jordan did not take that last putt seriously yesterday. Would have really stuck it to all the Tiger fanboys if he would have broke his record.

That was my only real grievance with yesterday. Jordan is literally going to win many, many more majors - it appears he's America's
"answer" (as so many people were searching for) to Rory.
I don't think it had anything to do with him not taking it seriously. He certainly lost his concentration there. But I think it has more to do with him starting to let the enormity of what he's done sink in. That stroke just looked awkward - simply fanned it. But hey, that was all he needed.

Seems a bit petty to get upset over it (especially if it was to spite Tiger fans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
the only thing I can post is that you don't know what the hell you[re writing about. No more time wasted on you when you post that Mickelsen is hated.
Unless you're on tour (or close to it), nobody really knows the real deal. But the "rumor" certainly points to the fact that he's not exactly mr. congeniality. The stories of "FIGJAM" is very well known. Just as his other nickname "Shooter". There's also no shortage of interviews on Golf Digest where many also hint at that. Rory Sabitini is one that I recall where he flat out said that Phil's public persona and his non-public persona are very different.

That said, you also have to take into account that these people live extremely different lives. Everything they do is scrutinized. Have a bad day and miss giving an autograph to a wide-eyed kid, you're now labeled an A-hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,126,794 times
I am NOT a Phil fan AT ALL. I think he is one of the biggest jerks on the tour but that "boy next door face" has won over many fans. If you read any articles where they interview him, he is not what he seems. I've seen how he acts during practice rounds and such and no thanks.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,938,895 times
Funny how it's ok to hate on Tiger but god forbid anyone has anything against someone like Phil... it's forbidden!!! lol...

Old 04-14-2015, 06:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,516,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I am NOT a Phil fan AT ALL. I think he is one of the biggest jerks on the tour but that "boy next door face" has won over many fans. If you read any articles where they interview him, he is not what he seems. I've seen how he acts during practice rounds and such and no thanks.
I've followed him practice rounds, regular rounds - read articles and haven't come across any reason to not like him. He actually acknowledges, smile, nods to fans - unlike TW.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Tiger above Lefty, Johnson, and a dozen others I can think of is stupid.
Odds don't always reflect reality - odds are established by dumb bettors.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,625,064 times
Quote:
Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
I'm not a golf enthusiast, but it does surprise me that there isn't one!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,393,768 times
I'm not sold on Mickelson being this classy-act dude. FWIW. I could see him being a real pr-ck in real life - that would not surprise me.

That said, I usually find myself rooting for him, for whatever reason. Maybe I just like his game, the fact that he's a southpaw, or whatever. But no, it would not surprise me to find that he's a real-life David Simms type of dude.

I think the whole Watson-RC debacle shined a little light on Lefty's real persona.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,888,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City
Should City-Data Forums have a golf forum in the sports forum?
Yes we should!!!

I love watching GOLF!!!!! (I didnt used to but when THE GOLF CHANNEL started some years back,i really got liking it!!)

Its very relaxing!

Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 AM

This is about the time on the PGA golf schedule where I start to mosey away from actively watching the game. In my opinion the season is way too long - longer than most other professional sports. Oct 2014 to Sep 2015. Completely dilutes the tournaments importance.

I'll pay attention to the WGCs, the majors, Jack's tourney, then the Tour Championship and Pres Cup.

Sorry CVS Health Charity Classic. You may be a classic, but I ain't watchig.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:32 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,318,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This is about the time on the PGA golf schedule where I start to mosey away from actively watching the game. In my opinion the season is way too long - longer than most other professional sports. Oct 2014 to Sep 2015. Completely dilutes the tournaments importance.

I'll pay attention to the WGCs, the majors, Jack's tourney, then the Tour Championship and Pres Cup.

Sorry CVS Health Charity Classic. You may be a classic, but I ain't watchig.
For me - The PGA season is pretty much those two and also the Players, Bayhill (Arnold), Muirfield (Jack), and to an extent, Tigers tournament since it's local (MD/VA). I'll also pop in at the familiar courses like Riviera, Scottsdale, and Pebble.

Otherwise, It'll depend on what the leaderboard looks like. I stuck around and watched the Valspar this year.

I'm more inclined to watch the LPGA these days. It's a bit easier to relate to 260yd drives and 155yd 8 irons than 330yd drives and 175yd 8 irons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports