Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20 though - right?

He certainly pulled of one of the best performances at the Masters (and arguably on tour recently). Wire to wire, best scores at 36 and 54 holes, and the only person to reach -19.

I'll say I wasn't ready to hand him the jacket when he was leading after Thursday. But he certainly put that thought to rest.

Congrats to an awesome performance.
Absolutely.
With 1 win and 2 seconds in his last three events we did not think he could continue that with the strong Augusta field. Several major winners pushed the top of the leader board and Jordan performed like a veteran. Tiger played alot better than many analysts expected, so the U.S. Open and PGA could be very entertaining dog fights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Really bummed Jordan did not take that last putt seriously yesterday. Would have really stuck it to all the Tiger fanboys if he would have broke his record.

That was my only real grievance with yesterday. Jordan is literally going to win many, many more majors - it appears he's America's
"answer" (as so many people were searching for) to Rory.

Last edited by Govie; 04-13-2015 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Really bummed Philly Mick isn't in the last group tomorrow. Would have been bloody fantastic had the Old Guard playing along the New Guard in the final group. That would have been epic Palmer-Hoganesque.
More like Nicklaus/Hogan at the 1960 U.S. Open at Cherry Hills near Denver, where past (Hogan), present (Palmer, who won the event), and future (Nicklaus) intersected in a way that really has never quite happened before or since. (Hogan and Nicklaus were paired together for the final two rounds in that tournament; back then in the Blue Laws-influenced days the 3rd and 4th rounds were played on the same day and the same pairings were used for both rounds.)

Jordan Spieth had a hell of a tournament and was a very deserving Masters winner. The most encouraging thing about this Masters is that it strengthens my belief (and probably many other people's beliefs) that we may be seeing the early stages of a generation of golfers that will have many great players, in some ways not unlike what occurred in late 1960s and 1970s as a result of Arnold Palmer (and then in Europe in the late 1970s as the result of Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, and Tony Jacklin). Though I've never liked Tiger Woods, the young guns on the tour today, led by Rory McIlroy, are primarily the result of Woods growing people's and kids' interest in golf IMO. (FWIW, I think we're going to see the same thing in tennis, especially men's tennis, in the near future as the result of Roger Federer.) That may end up being Woods' greatest positive legacy to golf.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
More like Nicklaus/Hogan at the 1960 U.S. Open at Cherry Hills near Denver, where past (Hogan), present (Palmer, who won the event), and future (Nicklaus) intersected in a way that really has never quite happened before or since. (Hogan and Nicklaus were paired together for the final two rounds in that tournament; back then in the Blue Laws-influenced days the 3rd and 4th rounds were played on the same day and the same pairings were used for both rounds.)

Jordan Spieth had a hell of a tournament and was a very deserving Masters winner. The most encouraging thing about this Masters is that it strengthens my belief (and probably many other people's beliefs) that we may be seeing the early stages of a generation of golfers that will have many great players, in some ways not unlike what occurred in late 1960s and 1970s as a result of Arnold Palmer (and then in Europe in the late 1970s as the result of Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, and Tony Jacklin). Though I've never liked Tiger Woods, the young guns on the tour today, led by Rory McIlroy, are primarily the result of Woods growing people's and kids' interest in golf IMO. (FWIW, I think we're going to see the same thing in tennis, especially men's tennis, in the near future as the result of Roger Federer.) That may end up being Woods' greatest positive legacy to golf.
That's the tournament I was referring to...and forgot about some of the specifics you posted.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:06 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Please stop!!
Mickelson is one of the most hated guys on tour. Arnold was no angel in his personal life.
Tiger is not the greatest guy in the world, but he is not worse than the vast majority of guys on the PGA tour.
FWIW, I don't care how any golfer behaves. That is their business. What they do has no bearing on my life and I don't judge.
the only thing I can post is that you don't know what the hell you[re writing about. No more time wasted on you when you post that Mickelsen is hated.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:08 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Really bummed Jordan did not take that last putt seriously yesterday. Would have really stuck it to all the Tiger fanboys if he would have broke his record.
How would him breaking the scoring record "Stuck it to Tiger fan boys"? Records are meant to be broken....

Old 04-13-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
How would him breaking the scoring record "Stuck it to Tiger fan boys"? Records are meant to be broken....
Believe me he's many people's God...and there are disingenuous reasons for that. It would have been nice if Spieth would have broke his Masters record for that reason alone.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:29 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
U.S. Open favorites:

Rory 1 to 7.
Jordan 1 to 8.5.
Tiger 1 to 15.
A. Scott 1 to 20.
D. Johnson 1 to 20.
Mickelson 1 to 25.

After that it gets ugly for the others as low as 1 to 2000.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 PM

Tiger above Lefty, Johnson, and a dozen others I can think of is stupid.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:47 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Lol, he has one good tournament and all of the sudden he's a top 5 favorite above guys who have proven themselves already this year? I'd put up DJ against Tiger anywhere any time and always put my money on DJ.

Edit: So I just checked and the odds I'm finding don't match those at all. Where did you get that from? Here's a snoop of what I found on 2 different sites:

Rory McIlroy 7/1
Jordan Spieth 8/1
Bubba Watson 10/1
Dustin Johnson 12/1
Jason Day 12/1
Jimmy Walker 18/1
Phil Mickelson 18/1
Tiger Woods 18/1
Adam Scott 20/1
Henrik Stenson 20/1
Patrick Reed 25/1
Matt Kuchar 30

Last edited by OverTaxedInNY; 04-13-2015 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports