Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 09:27 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times

Advertisements

Growing up, if you gravitate towards golf and you have a skill for it, your probably not thinking of the money. Thinking of the money you can make, wont help you improve your skill. You play it because you like the game, the competition. Why do you think Tiger is still playing, not for the money, he likes the competition. You win you make good money, great. You get to play on some of the great courses like Augusta. In LIV golf, you make good money up front, and a chance for a huge purse. Even last place gets $120,000. PGA no up front money, you miss the cut, you get nothing. You have a sense to do your best, practice. In LIV golf, is there as much a need to practice. Sit back, count you money and be an also played. For Mickelson this is a godsend with the money he was paid. I doubt he would of ever won again on the PGA tour. Money and greed can ruin most things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 06:17 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Nightmare scenario for the R&A.
LIV player wins the Open.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:17 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
DJ has the clubhouse lead. So the LIV is doing well. That said, Rory is 3 shots back and just hit his 1st tee shot of his 2nd round.

Meanwhile, Tiger just chipped up close on 18 to maybe go to +8. Wished he did better at the home of golf. And hope Colin can do what Fitz did and fire a 66 to get back into contention.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,715,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Nightmare scenario for the R&A.
LIV player wins the Open.
I'd love to see it.

I had never heard of the R&A before this year and had no idea even what the "R" and "A" stood for. Went to their web site and found precious little else besides a tidal wave of wokeness. What kind of golf organization needs a "Modern Slavery Statement"in 2022? The kind that exists for no other purpose but to out-woke the PGA, evidently.

Turned on TV coverage of the British Open this morning and lost interest within minutes. It would be different if Tiger were still in it, but sadly he's not. I'll be pulling for DJ, but won't be watching anything close to full-time. Won't be doing that until Bedminster, and will be looking forward to that.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:41 AM

R&A CEO was asked about a LIV player winning. His reply was that he would be at 18 to meet and congratulate the winner as he always has = to basically avoid the question.
100% I believe he didn't think a LIV player would win.
Also the CEO of the R&A spoke of new qualification processes for future opens. I can't see how they can ban a former winner. Sad day in golf if they do when a former champion should earn a lifetime exemption.

Sunday will be a treat if Johnson (LIV first to join) and Rory (most public opinions about LIV than any other player) are in the last pairing.
------
Several top LPGA players are eager to hear of and join a LIV Women's Tour.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:34 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Hell of a final round.

Was really pulling for Rory. Those putts never falling in were agonizing. But damn, what a round by Joe Dirt. You thought he may falter on 17 after that bad approach. But that was a clutch as hell up and down.... Tiger-esque, I would say. After Young's boss as hell eagle, I was really hoping Smith would just par 18 to extend it to a "Cameron" playoff (and maybe even bring Rory into it as he wouldn't have needed to go for eagle himself).

But one of the best finished at the home of golf in quite awhile.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:19 AM

Rory knew going in that 2 under on the day would not beat Hovland much less others and he had no control over a player who was able to throw a 64 at him. Hopefully he wins a major soon to end the drought.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Rory knew going in that 2 under on the day would not beat Hovland much less others and he had no control over a player who was able to throw a 64 at him. Hopefully he wins a major soon to end the drought.
? But it did beat Hovland....Whovland? Nobody, but nobody....can count on repeating 66s day after day after day.

I was really pulling for Rory. I respect that he has his reasons for his LIV commentary and has a very different perspective, having played the tour for years. Rory has certainly paid his dues and seems to be a good guy.

As for Smith, just another in the now seemingly endless chain of near unknowns, having done little-to-nothing of note, who somehow put together one or two miracle tournaments and then disappear. Ok, he hasn't disappeared yet, but the vast majority do. That's just the way golf is now sans Tiger and, of course, the many big names that came before him, many of whom played competitively for decades.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:40 PM

I was referring to before the fact. He could not possibly have expected to win finishing at 18 under. Unless bad weather was in order.
More LIV defections it seems, check the news as they are changing hourly.
Phil has not broken par (?) in his last 8 rounds

Old 07-18-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I was referring to before the fact. He could not possibly have expected to win finishing at 18 under. Unless bad weather was in order.
More LIV defections it seems, check the news as they are changing hourly.
Phil has not broken par (?) in his last 8 rounds
Your logic escapes me Howard. Do you know how many times The Open has been won at St Andrews with a lower score than -18?

Once....by Tiger in 2000.

Of course -18 could have won it. And it would have yesterday, but for two miracle rounds of 64 and 65 by the two Camerons that we'll likely not see again from them in a major any time soon. Fact is Rory won that Tourney, but for two flashes in the pan. -18 would win most majors historically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports