Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 07:24 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,739,423 times

Advertisements

18 ahead of Tiger and only one I'd call a "name" - but not a big name. Big names are memories of Golf's great history.

Jack's Masters win in 1963 was against a field that included Tony Lema, Julios Boros, Sam Snead, Gary Player, Don January, Arnold Palmer, Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Billy Casper, Gene Littler, Homero Blancas, Charles Coody, Gay Brewer, Ken Venturi, Bruce Crampton, and Chi-Chi Rodriguez.

Now THAT was a major championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 11:32 AM

14,501 posts, read 20,702,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Jack's Masters win in 1963 was against a field that included Tony Lema, Julios Boros, Sam Snead, Gary Player, Don January, Arnold Palmer, Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Billy Casper, Gene Littler, Homero Blancas, Charles Coody, Gay Brewer, Ken Venturi, Bruce Crampton, and Chi-Chi Rodriguez.
I have color slides of many of those great names from the 1970 Kemper Open.

If July 24 arrives and no Spieth victory then he will have won 1 event in 5 years (July 24-July 23)

Old 04-09-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have color slides of many of those great names from the 1970 Kemper Open.

If July 24 arrives and no Spieth victory then he will have won 1 event in 5 years (July 24-July 23)
Now there's a topic in and of itself - color slides. I haven't seen one in about as many years, but remember how popular they were, for very good reason.

I know you'll always treasure those.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:03 PM

Yet another PGA tournament with so little reason to keep watching.

Many of us began to feel that way as the era of Jack entered its twilight. Then Tiger burst onto the scene and brought pro golf back to life for a few of the most exciting years we've seen.

It was great to see Tiger back for this Masters and this weekend. But now that he is almost surely out of contention, does anyone really care how it ends? I sure don't.

We're back to who will be the newest flash - or flicker - in the pan this week? Gone are the consistently great players and great rivalries that lasted decades. Yawn..............

Old 04-09-2022, 06:53 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,529,756 times
Never followed Tiger, so missed the glory years. Gotta say, even a beat-up, old Tiger can more than hold his own among the youngsters. Looked like walking was fairly painful today. Still an impressive showing for someone so impaired. Talk about indomitable will.

So far, this is Scheffler's to lose it would appear.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Never followed Tiger, so missed the glory years. Gotta say, even a beat-up, old Tiger can more than hold his own among the youngsters. Looked like walking was fairly painful today. Still an impressive showing for someone so impaired. Talk about indomitable will.

So far, this is Scheffler's to lose it would appear.
Well put.

No one but Tiger could do it. Before his bad luck and/or personal demons started to get in the way, Tiger was a talent of a kind no one had ever seen before on a golf course. Not even Jack could match it and it is unlikely anyone will....ever. As I said before, take away Tiger's personal setbacks and he's a 25 major winner - maybe more.

I suppose I'll watch again today, out of respects more than anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9e8uUswLvY

Old 04-10-2022, 12:45 PM

Just tuned in. Wow, how did Tiger go from +4 finish yesterday to +11 so far today? What is it about Sunday? I've seen a couple players lose on Sunday, after finishing Saturday with a very respectable lead.

Also, is Cameron Smith the dark horse here? Only three strokes behind and closing...he could very easily pull it off.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Just tuned in. Wow, how did Tiger go from +4 finish yesterday to +11 so far today? What is it about Sunday? I've seen a couple players lose on Sunday, after finishing Saturday with a very respectable lead.

Also, is Cameron Smith the dark horse here? Only three strokes behind and closing...he could very easily pull it off.
Though he started well, with a rare for him par at one and a birdie at 2, he had another tough day. Clearly, he was struggling physically on the course - you could see it in his walk - and I'm guessing he was in a lot of pain. Golf is next to impossible to play well for mortal men in top form and in his physical condition it was a miracle that he could even make the cut and finish at all.

I had to go to the store this morning after his good start, hoping that it would look even better when I returned. But sadly, he had bogeyed 4,5, and 6. Later, he bogeyed 11, 14, and doubled 17. Really tough day.

On the bright side, I see that Rory shot an 8-under 64 today. I'm pullin' for him to come out on top....as he is a nice young man who has paid his dues and deserves it. At least from what I know of him.

Scheffler may well turn out to be long-term legit, but I never heard of him 'til this weekend. Most sudden, quick flashes fade fast.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Though he started well, with a rare for him par at one and a birdie at 2, he had another tough day. Clearly, he was struggling physically on the course - you could see it in his walk - and I'm guessing he was in a lot of pain. Golf is next to impossible to play well for mortal men in top form and in his physical condition it was a miracle that he could even make the cut and finish at all.

I had to go to the store this morning after his good start, hoping that it would look even better when I returned. But sadly, he had bogeyed 4,5, and 6. Later, he bogeyed 11, 14, and doubled 17. Really tough day.

On the bright side, I see that Rory shot an 8-under 64 today. I'm pullin' for him to come out on top....as he is a nice young man who has paid his dues and deserves it. At least from what I know of him.

Scheffler may well turn out to be long-term legit, but I never heard of him 'til this weekend. Most sudden, quick flashes fade fast.
They change hole positions each day, am I right on that? Plus, Tiger had to be really feeling it today. He was probably glad he just finished.

Rory placed second - slow and steady. Good, I like Rory. His and Morikawa's eagles on 18 were hilarious. Nice way to end the tournament.

Well, Cameron Smith at least got himself together sufficiently to share third place with Lowry.

How is prize money divvied up when there are ties? Think I looked into this last year. Iirc, third and fourth place prize money is combined with Lowry/Smith sharing equally. And so on and so forth on down the board.

Do I have that right?

Old 04-10-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
They change hole positions each day, am I right on that? Plus, Tiger had to be really feeling it today. He was probably glad he just finished.

Rory placed second - slow and steady. Good, I like Rory. His and Morikawa's eagles on 18 were hilarious. Nice way to end the tournament.

Well, Cameron Smith at least got himself together sufficiently to share third place with Lowry.

How is prize money divvied up when there are ties? Think I looked into this last year. Iirc, third and fourth place prize money is combined with Lowry/Smith sharing equally. And so on and so forth on down the board.

Do I have that right?
Yeah, I didn't even know about Rory's 18 eagle until I saw the reply a few minutes ago. That was terrific....and great to see. Rory's Masters day is coming, I'm quite sure. I think the winds of luck are the main reason it wasn't today.

Yes, I believe they normally change hole positions each day, but I don't know if there's any hard and fast rule about it. And I think you're right about the prize money, too.

Here's hoping Tiger will be ready for the PGA at Southern Hills, where he won in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports