Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Olympics: China,

Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,103,875 times

Advertisements

Just having received an e-mail from friends that live in Chengdu, China (yes, the home of that horrible earthquake in May), I am reminded once again that, despite all of the hype surrounding the Olympics, we must remember the poor souls that live there that are terribly and ferociously persecuted just for having an opinion of their own.

An example would be the two elderly women (79 years old +) that were detained and sent to a "re-education camp" for holding up signs in the Olympic area somewhere that said something to the effect of "Free Tibet". I don't have the link, but, I am sure that it can be found on a news website somewhere.

Now, this is not a political statement, but, a humane one. C'mon, people, what are the chances that these elderly women pose a real threat against the Chinese regime? Regardless of people's opinions on whether or not Tibet should be freed or any of othe zillion other Chinese policies concerning the treatment of their citizens, the REAL issue is what that government does to the people that actually have an opinion and try to express it. I am just asking that everyone take a moment while you are watching the Olympics and say a prayer for these people. Because once the world's eye off this country, I am sure that things will become a LOT worse for them. And, that is very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,240,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Just having received an e-mail from friends that live in Chengdu, China (yes, the home of that horrible earthquake in May), I am reminded once again that, despite all of the hype surrounding the Olympics, we must remember the poor souls that live there that are terribly and ferociously persecuted just for having an opinion of their own.

An example would be the two elderly women (79 years old +) that were detained and sent to a "re-education camp" for holding up signs in the Olympic area somewhere that said something to the effect of "Free Tibet". I don't have the link, but, I am sure that it can be found on a news website somewhere.

Now, this is not a political statement, but, a humane one. C'mon, people, what are the chances that these elderly women pose a real threat against the Chinese regime? Regardless of people's opinions on whether or not Tibet should be freed or any of othe zillion other Chinese policies concerning the treatment of their citizens, the REAL issue is what that government does to the people that actually have an opinion and try to express it. I am just asking that everyone take a moment while you are watching the Olympics and say a prayer for these people. Because once the world's eye off this country, I am sure that things will become a LOT worse for them. And, that is very sad.
Chicago..

This is not very close to the facts. Some might argue two old ladies, 79, China = Evil. But if you are going to blame someone for doing something bad, you need to be able to back it up. Pretty soon the story will evolve into something bigger and bigger after the next guy bends it a little more.

Two elderly women sentenced to year's labour over Olympics protest | Sport | guardian.co.uk

As you read the article, please try to ask yourself if the story as told by the ladies' relatives is plausible.

BTW, I don't think you intentionally misstated the facts. I don't know your posts that well. However, if you research it a bit you will find the facts, as reported, are very different from what you recited. As such, you might want to reconsider what else "you know" as facts.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,103,875 times
Well, Bob, I may not have known the whole story regarding these particular ladies, but, I do know real time stories about countless others that are persecuted daily for nothing more than their belief system. I was merely using the ladies as an example. Human rights issues are common knowledge about China and my post was to try to keep people focused on those rather than the hype concerning the Olympics.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,240,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, Bob, I may not have known the whole story regarding these particular ladies, but, I do know real time stories about countless others that are persecuted daily for nothing more than their belief system. I was merely using the ladies as an example. Human rights issues are common knowledge about China and my post was to try to keep people focused on those rather than the hype concerning the Olympics.
Can we please discuss them?

There are lots of these things people know and are common knowledge that people seem to just accept as fact that seem to come out of thin air.

I heard horrible story yesterday about "
two elderly women (79 years old +) that were detained and sent to a "re-education camp" for holding up signs in the Olympic area somewhere that said something to the effect of "Free Tibet"." Damn those Commie Chinese. Everyone knows they are just not to be trusted. It is common knowledge that they do this thing all the time.

It has been my experience in life that people, regardless of their station in life can and will just make stuff up to justify a position.

My post here is not meant to insult you. I am using it to demonstrate the unfairness of just accepting stories from people who already have a bias by people who have the same bias and perpetuate the story until it is substituted for fact.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-26-2008 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,312,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post

My post here is not meant to insult you. I am using it to demonstrate the unfairness of just accepting stories from people who already have a bias by people who have the same bias and perpetuate the story until it is substituted for fact.
Here are the links to the story about the women being arrested. One is from the United States the other is from the UK so there isnt an American slant to it.

Tulsa World: Women ordered to work camp

Elderly Chinese women ordered into re-education for daring to protest - Times Online

Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,611,648 times
Is China really the place for the Paralympics?

""The scene got me thinking, and prompted me to ask a question I thought the hospital director would avoid: what happens if you find that the baby may be physically disabled?""
To my surprise, she was only to happy to spell it out for me.
“If we find the baby will be missing an arm or a leg, that’s a serious deformity,” she said.
“We terminate the pregnancy. We don’t let them have the baby. If they have it, it’s a burden to the family, to society and to the country. We want healthy babies, because they make families happy and our society happy too. We are working to improve the quality of the population.”

Five News with Natasha Kaplinsky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports