Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,419,455 times

Advertisements

Okay. Basketball is a sport most of us watch. But gymnastics? Diving? Swimming? That bit where the woman dances around on a mat and twirls a stick around her head with a ribbon attached? Heck, we can't even muster a decent audience for track and field 3 years and 11 months at a time.

Yet, suddenly, we all have to sit in front of a television and breathlessly watch some 14-year-old on the parallel bars. Not because we were ever interested in gymnastics. But we watch the Olympics because they're the Olympics.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 PM

549 posts, read 1,935,863 times
You don't find it ironic that not only did this event cause you to discuss the matter, it even deserved it's own thread?

If you don't care about the olympics, that's fine. There's plenty on the news right now. To name the top headlines I noticed: some war may be starting with Russia and Georgia, the Presidential candidates, and the main event - Edwards' affair .

But to each his own.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:50 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,311,274 times
I love the Olympics. I am proud of everyone of these athletes suiting up in the name of our country. I am in the military so I think anytime you can do good for your country it is something to be proud of. I watched the ceremony tonight and was proud to see the US flag and the athletes come in waving the flag and representing their country. even guys like Kobe and Lebron who have millions and dont need to do it dedicate a year or two to play for this country and play their butts off to win a gold. I will watch as much as I can and sheer our men and women on. GO USA

Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,369,145 times
a good reason to watch this olympics is

because there is definitely gonna be some beef between Georgia and Russia, maybe something interesting will unfold

the Judo, boxing, wrestling, tkd and fencing are actually quite fun to watch

all the women's field hockey athletes are babes

basketball should not be an olympic sport

Volleyball is also fun to watch

soccer should definitely not be there

they should make rugby an olympic sport

Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 PM

34,379 posts, read 20,646,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. Basketball is a sport most of us watch. But gymnastics? Diving? Swimming? That bit where the woman dances around on a mat and twirls a stick around her head with a ribbon attached? Heck, we can't even muster a decent audience for track and field 3 years and 11 months at a time.

Yet, suddenly, we all have to sit in front of a television and breathlessly watch some 14-year-old on the parallel bars. Not because we were ever interested in gymnastics. But we watch the Olympics because they're the Olympics.

Why?
Because historically, it is a gathering of the best athletes in the world? (and its nice to see the american dream team get their butts and their egos kicked!) Because international competition is something many athletes train for years and strive to have their moment in history? Human interest! It reminds us that beyond all the idiotic politics and retarded terrorist threats, we are still one human family?

And then there is the agony of defeat when the 4 man bobsled team goes wrong... terribly wrong!

Anyone ever going to match Jim Thorpe's accomplishment?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,655,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Anyone ever going to match Jim Thorpe's accomplishment?
IMO as far as olympic accomplishments go, nothing beats Jesse Owens. When and where he swept those track and field sprints (and long jump) was amazing!!! Suck it Hitler!!!

I know some have more gold medals and overall Jim Thorpe was a better athlete (not to mention he's from the greatest state in the union).

The Olympics are Jesse Owens.

I want to see some political protests like '68 Mexico!!

Last edited by nevergoingback; 08-08-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,419,455 times
Yep. Nothing like that synchronized swimming. Yeah boy.

Oh, and the opening ceremonies that are basically nothing more than an impressive propaganda prop for a brutal fascist regime. Kind of like 1936, if you think about it.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:03 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,655,123 times
Quote:
Oh, and the opening ceremonies that are basically nothing more than an impressive propaganda prop for a brutal fascist regime. Kind of like 1936, if you think about it.
I agree, thats why Jesse Owens is the ****!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,260,014 times
All I can say personally speaking is no I don't ever watch the Olympics.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM

549 posts, read 1,935,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Because historically, it is a gathering of the best athletes in the world? (and its nice to see the american dream team get their butts and their egos kicked!) Because international competition is something many athletes train for years and strive to have their moment in history? Human interest! It reminds us that beyond all the idiotic politics and retarded terrorist threats, we are still one human family?
Dream team? I'm pretty sure the NBC commentators had a different name for them

Quote:
You know, I'm a big fan of Washington Redskins and so I regularly check their official message board. They have a rule there that's ironclad. Politics stay out of the Stadium (the sub-forum that's strictly about the Redskins).

I'm not suggesting that should be enforced here (actually, I feel the mods here are pretty low-key, which is fine) but it'd be nice if people could be aware of what section they're posting in.

Though, since you brought it up... I'll bring up a point that someone else mentioned. You support the athletes that worked their butts off training for this one chance to be the best in the world. You support these athletes because they represent every one of their countrymen. You support your country for raising these athletes and allowing them to become a part of this competition. You do not denounce the Olympics because you disagree with the Olympics' host. The Olympics doesn't represent China and China doesn't represent the Olympics. If you want to ***** about China and their "fascism", take it to the politics sub-forum.

Some may see the opening ceremonies as propaganda. I saw it as art that the performers and the audience can take pride in. "Impressive" as you said? That's one thing I'll agree with you on.

Last edited by endersshadow; 08-08-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports