Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,001,064 times

Advertisements

Id like to put this question to rest right here and now. There are a lot of people asking "Is Phelps the best athlete ever?" and I say hell no!! Hey may be the best swimmer but he is a long shot of being the best ahtlete ever.

I go swimming (surfing and/or bodyboarding) every week so its no big deal. When he wins the decathlon, pentathlon, play pro football, baseball and basketball (Jim Thorpe) then he should be mentioned in the category of the greats.

When he wins Olympic gold in boxing as well as face Joe Frazier three times, beat George Forman, Ernie Shavers, and become the most beloved sports figure in American history (Muhammad Ali) then maybe he'll be mentioned among the greats.

When he wins the Tour de France 7 years in a row after beating cancer (Lance Armstrong) then we'll talk.

So, lets not say anything about him being the Greatest American Athlete ever okay? He's be best swimmer ever but not the greatest athlete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,987,988 times
I wouldn't say he's the athlete ever either. I don't many people think that. It's just NBC trying to hype up coverage.

It does appear that he is the most dominant swimmer ever though.

I wouldn't call the swimming he does "no big deal" though. I'm sure his 50 mile training weeks put to shame your 10 laps at the "Y."

Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 PM

743 posts, read 2,071,753 times
They are going by number of gold medals. He is expected to sweep in all his events.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,644,814 times
Best swimmer? Sure. Best athlete overall? Nah. Thats not even a good question overall. Its kinda like asking could the Hulk beat up Superman.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,001,064 times
The TV announcers should not even say anthing about "greatest athlete ever" they should be sure to include the "Olympic Swimmer" as the modifier just so there wont be any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Best swimmer? Sure. Best athlete overall? Nah. Thats not even a good question overall. Its kinda like asking could the Hulk beat up Superman.
Yeah. But who would win in a fight between Superman and Jesus? That would be a good battle.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:53 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,974,827 times
probably the best swimmer....but not overall athlete. Bbut, you have to remember that all the different strokes do take a long time to master .

oh yeah....and Jesus would win that battle, superman's superpowers can't overcome Jesus' sheer awesomeness

Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,438,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Id like to put this question to rest right here and now. There are a lot of people asking "Is Phelps the best athlete ever?" and I say hell no!! Hey may be the best swimmer but he is a long shot of being the best ahtlete ever.

I go swimming (surfing and/or bodyboarding) every week so its no big deal. When he wins the decathlon, pentathlon, play pro football, baseball and basketball (Jim Thorpe) then he should be mentioned in the category of the greats.

When he wins Olympic gold in boxing as well as face Joe Frazier three times, beat George Forman, Ernie Shavers, and become the most beloved sports figure in American history (Muhammad Ali) then maybe he'll be mentioned among the greats.

When he wins the Tour de France 7 years in a row after beating cancer (Lance Armstrong) then we'll talk.

So, lets not say anything about him being the Greatest American Athlete ever okay? He's be best swimmer ever but not the greatest athlete.
He's a good athlete and swimmer, but I don't think he is the best ever.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,524,626 times
He is a great athlete that has been blessed with some good genetics that happen to be exactly what is needed to excel the way he does at swimming.

As for "greatest athelete". No.

He's great at swimming. There is no denying that fact.

He deserves to be recognized for what he has accomplished in his chosen sport.

Michael Phelps has not found a cure for cancer or stop century long wars, but he can kick the living daylights out of anyone in a pool.

Sports broadcasters start to make my ears bleed. As a female, it is very enjoyable to watch him swim

Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,299,039 times
it really is hard to say there is one great overall athlete because what everyone does is different. While Jordan may be the best basketball player, Phleps would beat him in swimming. I think you need to stick with in the sport and have who is the best (insert sport) debate.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,462,636 times
Wow did anyone see his last race, wow, how close was it, probaly one of the closest finishes you can have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports