Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 11:00 PM

11,008 posts, read 4,449,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Well I was right that Iga Swiatek won! Now if I’m right about Alcaraz tomorrow, I’m going to start making bets on this next year!
Wow, nobody expected Iga Swiatek to win she's only ranked #1 and dominating 2022 with 6 titles....
Whereas I think Ruud will win the men's final, and that would go against popular belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 11:27 PM

3,547 posts, read 1,461,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Wow, nobody expected Iga Swiatek to win she's only ranked #1 and dominating 2022 with 6 titles....
Whereas I think Ruud will win the men's final, and that would go against popular belief.
I don’t know, man! There was a pretty big crowd at the stadium rooting for Ons. So plenty of people out there felt she was going to win.

And Alcaraz is ranked higher than Ruud. You really think ranking numbers mean squat on who is going to win a particular match, particularly for these inconsistent WTA players? I go by who is performing best in the tournaments. I, personally, felt Swiatek and Alcaraz had the best chance of losing in their SF matches, but they trekked through them. So that’s why I predicted they were going to win their finals. But like I said before, I could be wrong. I just don’t think I am.

Last edited by TheWiseShopper; 09-10-2022 at 11:36 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I don’t know, man! There was a pretty big crowd at the stadium rooting for Ons. So plenty of people out there felt she was going to win.

And Alcaraz is ranked higher than Ruud. You really think ranking numbers mean squat on who is going to win a particular match, particularly for these inconsistent WTA players? I go by who is performing best in the tournaments. I, personally, felt Swiatek and Alcaraz had the best chance of losing in their SF matches, but they trekked through them. So that’s why I predicted they were going to win their finals. But like I said before, I could be wrong. I just don’t think I am.
But you do know Swiatek was the clear favorite according to media, fans and betting agencies, right?
Her numbers mean a lot, because she's so overwhelmingly consistent compared to everyone else (apart from on grass, because she and almost everyone else is inexperienced on grass).

The crowd roots for who they want to win, not who will win, and often they root for the underdog.
They all knew Swiatek was the favorite.
And the same applies to Alcaraz, he's the media darling and the betting favorite.
The only difference is, I think Ruud will win.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
But you do know Swiatek was the clear favorite according to media, fans and betting agencies, right?
Her numbers mean a lot, because she's so overwhelmingly consistent compared to everyone else (apart from on grass, because she and almost everyone else is inexperienced on grass).

The crowd roots for who they want to win, not who will win, and often they root for the underdog.
They all knew Swiatek was the favorite.
And the same applies to Alcaraz, he's the media darling and the betting favorite.
The only difference is, I think Ruud will win.
But #1 doesn’t necessarily mean they will win. Barty never was able to win the US Open. In fact, I thought Sabalenka had the best shot to win this year as she was playing tremendously but somehow, she let herself get defeated in the SF. So once Sabalenka was wiped out, I knew it was game over for Ons.

And same goes for Alcaraz. Tiafoe has been an absolute beast the entire tournament and really thought he had a good chance to win this year. I was amazed Alcaraz pulled it off and beat him!

Old 09-11-2022, 03:17 PM

I stand corrected. Looks like Ruud is going to win this indeed…

Old 09-11-2022, 06:53 PM

Well this thread suddenly got dead! So what did y'all think of the final match?

Old 09-11-2022, 10:01 PM

3,608 posts, read 1,677,910 times
Quote:
Well this thread suddenly got dead! So what did y'all think of the final match?
Carlos Alcaraz looks unstoppable for a very long time...congrats to him winning the US Open and achieving the number one rank in the world at only 19 years old!

Old 09-11-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Carlos Alcaraz looks unstoppable for a very long time...congrats to him winning the US Open and achieving the number one rank in the world at only 19 years old!
I admit, I was nervous for a while. Ruud was really on a role during the second set and Alcaraz was starting to make some really bad errors. So I thought things weren’t looking good for Alcaraz for a while. But he somehow bounced back, regained his confidence and started playing extremely aggressively. He really is amazing! This guy will become a real legend! Djokovic, look out!

Old 09-12-2022, 07:11 AM

Ruud was essentially one point away from winning the title, Set Points to win the 3rd Set 7-5..... but what Alcaraz lacks in stature he makes up for in clutchness, whereas Ruud still has a ways to go mentally. Very close match, Alcaraz only won 5 more points than Ruud in the entire match.
Anyway, the real #1 is back-

Old 09-12-2022, 01:48 PM

42,055 posts, read 75,524,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Pretty impressive for a 19 year old. I was stunned to hear how young his is.

Quote:
I don’t know, man! There was a pretty big crowd at the stadium rooting for Ons.
The ESPN announcers were doing a pretty good job of rooting for Jabeur as well, until Swiatek won the match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports