Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2022, 11:06 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,763,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Nice deflection.
I just gave you an example of McEnroe who was worse than Serena in every way as a player but got less criticism than she does and you ignore it completely
If you read McEnroe's book, he was encouraged to act up to bring more fans into the tennis stadium, it's not the same thing as being a nasty person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM

63 posts, read 70,992 times
Okay, McEnroe screamed at the ump (whom he did not threaten) and whacked his racquet at the fake plants. He repeatedly acknowledged the skill of opponents even though you could see it pained him to do so. Serena, on the other hand, threatened to shove tennis balls down the throat of the umpire at the 2018 US Open, where she played poorly. She made the threats with vulgar and highly profane language. If you are an actual tennis fan instead of just a Serena gawker who doesn’t follow the sport or understand the rules of the game, you would know that she never credits opponents in the way that true professionals do (including her sister Venus). You would know that among her recent self-serving antics was her utterly disgraceful conduct at Wimbledon 2022, where she refused to appear for the Centennial because she was denied a fleet of cars after she lost, in accord with the rules that applied to everybody. She asked for but was denied preferential treatment, which resulted in her throwing yet another tantrum. Her sister Venus gracefully attended the Centennial, as did other tennis greats, including 84-year-old Rod Laver, who managed to make the trip from Australia.

If you are looking for a black tennis player to honor, don’t waste your time with Serena. There are many to choose from. Look into Althea Gibson (ever heard of her?), who won Wimbledon twice, overcoming overwhelming odds to do so. She won tournaments that were the precursors to the modern day French and US Open, and even won tournaments at arenas that were not open to black players when they were not being used for competition. She had no resources and almost no support, and came into the sport at an unusually late age. Her accomplishments are really something. Serena is an insult to Gibson and to her fellow players. She is a disgraceful, boorish individual who happens to be black, just as there are disgraceful, brutish boors who happen to be white.

I am overjoyed that this beautiful, refined sport is finally rid of her. I hope Venus can find the will to continue playing. She is worthy of respect, unlike her sister.

Old 09-04-2022, 02:47 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,462,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
Okay, McEnroe screamed at the ump (whom he did not threaten) and whacked his racquet at the fake plants. He repeatedly acknowledged the skill of opponents even though you could see it pained him to do so. Serena, on the other hand, threatened to shove tennis balls down the throat of the umpire at the 2018 US Open, where she played poorly. She made the threats with vulgar and highly profane language. If you are an actual tennis fan instead of just a Serena gawker who doesn’t follow the sport or understand the rules of the game, you would know that she never credits opponents in the way that true professionals do (including her sister Venus). You would know that among her recent self-serving antics was her utterly disgraceful conduct at Wimbledon 2022, where she refused to appear for the Centennial because she was denied a fleet of cars after she lost, in accord with the rules that applied to everybody. She asked for but was denied preferential treatment, which resulted in her throwing yet another tantrum. Her sister Venus gracefully attended the Centennial, as did other tennis greats, including 84-year-old Rod Laver, who managed to make the trip from Australia.

If you are looking for a black tennis player to honor, don’t waste your time with Serena. There are many to choose from. Look into Althea Gibson (ever heard of her?), who won Wimbledon twice, overcoming overwhelming odds to do so. She won tournaments that were the precursors to the modern day French and US Open, and even won tournaments at arenas that were not open to black players when they were not being used for competition. She had no resources and almost no support, and came into the sport at an unusually late age. Her accomplishments are really something. Serena is an insult to Gibson and to her fellow players. She is a disgraceful, boorish individual who happens to be black, just as there are disgraceful, brutish boors who happen to be white.

I am overjoyed that this beautiful, refined sport is finally rid of her. I hope Venus can find the will to continue playing. She is worthy of respect, unlike her sister.
Respectfully, you are either just too young and was unaware of McEnroe's heyday, or you are not being entirely honest when it comes to McEnroe.

He repeatedly acknowledged the skill of opponents even though you could see it pained him to do so.

Hmm, ask Ivan Lendl about that one. McEnroe once said that he had more talent in his pinky than Lendl had in his entire body. Feel free to look it up.

Okay, McEnroe screamed at the ump (whom he did not threaten) and whacked his racquet at the fake plants.

Lol really??? McEnroe had numerous incidents with umpires, hurling insults at some look up his behavior in Stockholm, 1984 as just one example. He also went after tournament officials too. Dude got suspended/fined several times over his career because of it. Most people remember the "You cannot be serious" one, but there are many, many more. Put it to you this way, the media gave him the nickname "Superbrat". Tells you all you need to know really.

I'm certainly not excusing any of Serena's behavior. She let herself down on that end far too many times, and that needs to be mentioned in any discussion of her legacy/career. But I see a very clear double standard in certain people wishing she were gone etc yet trying to minimize the similar actions of a white player or just turn a blind eye to it altogether.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:43 PM

158 posts, read 44,212 times
Quote:
Nice deflection.
I just gave you an example of McEnroe who was worse than Serena in every way as a player but got less criticism than she does and you ignore it completely
you do not need to reflect anything only few players gave her tribute on twitter and she only thanked her sister for existing. it is like her goal is to be walking headline every time she open her mouth

Old 09-05-2022, 08:35 AM

382 posts, read 173,589 times
McEnroe played in an era without Hawkeye technology, it was totally different and other players acted similar like Ilie Nastase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilie_N%C4%83stase

During the US Open in 1979, Năstase was defaulted from his match against John McEnroe. The umpire previously docked Năstase a point in third set and then a game in the fourth for arguing and stalling. A near-riot followed as the crowd disagreed with the umpire's decision, throwing beer cans and cups on court. The match was restarted, with the umpire being replaced, before McEnroe won.[22][23][24][25]

In 1994 Năstase, Davis Cup captain of his country, was banned for an away match against Great Britain, for "'audible obscenities and constant abuse and intimidation of officials'" in a tie against South Africa.[26]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

people bringing up John McEnroe to excuse Serena don't know much about the history of the game.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:03 AM

It’s been fascinating to see the lengths some of you will go to justify the double standards applied so Serena vs white players. In this thread alone, I’ve heard white players given a pass due to a lack of Hawkeye, someone upthread said McEnroe was asked to act like a dbag to bring in more fans…so it was a marketing strategy. Well I’ve heard it all now. Smh.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odjebi View Post
you do not need to reflect anything only few players gave her tribute on twitter and she only thanked her sister for existing. it is like her goal is to be walking headline every time she open her mouth
Bring a great player does not mean you are are likeable. Serena isn’t the first one to not be liked by her peers. Look at MJ. Plenty of his peers hate his guts till this day(Isiah Thomas for example). MJs hall of fame speech will go down in history as probably one of the biggest “I’m an insufferable ahole” moments in sports history.

Not everyone is going to be Tom Brady. Some of the all time greats aren’t that great outside the sport. Same with politicians, billionaires etc. So I don’t see why Serena gets singled out.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:14 AM

158 posts, read 44,212 times
Quote:
Bring a great player does not mean you are are likeable. Serena isn’t the first one to not be liked by her peers. Look at MJ. Plenty of his peers hate his guts till this day(Isiah Thomas for example). MJs hall of fame speech will go down in history as probably one of the biggest “I’m an insufferable ahole” moments in sports history.

Not everyone is going to be Tom Brady. Some of the all time greats aren’t that great outside the sport. Same with politicians, billionaires etc. So I don’t see why Serena gets singled out.
every top player is liked. messi ronaldo mj serena is not because media makes her more then she is and she elevates her self even more for no reason. and i have eurosport channel and there is not even one storyabout serena GOAT or greatness .and espn is all the time

Last edited by odjebi; 09-05-2022 at 12:43 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 11:53 AM

7,050 posts, read 11,361,335 times
John McEnroe is STILL known 35-40 years after he played winning tennis because of what a huge jerk he was. I am not sure I would bring him up as example of white players getting a pass for bad behavior. He was a very good player who won many majors and is an exceptional commentator......but he is still mostly known for his big fat mouth.

In this thread you have fans calling out

McEnroe - white American
Novak - white Serb
Kyriagos - Greek/Asian - Aussie
Serena - black American

Maybe Serena gets it worse, I don't know. That isn't how I have read the posts. Most tennis fans, myself included, despise the whining regardless of who it comes from. I can put up with it from players who mostly play exceptional tennis and sometimes show their temper, like Serena, or in McEnroe's case, he was a Grade A troll, the #### he said was normally pretty biting, so still not a good look, but you do get away with more if your antics are entertaining. To be blunt, Serena (nor Novak's FWIW) are entertaining when they get mouthy, it's annoying and not befitting players of that magnitude.

The lack of respect for other players would seem to be sincere. It's been the Williams sister show for a long time, and yes Serena loses sometimes, but when she is on there isn't a woman capable of beating her. At 40 and in marginal shape she can go out there and beat any woman in the world on any given day. It's earned ego.

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-05-2022 at 12:54 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 03:41 PM

10,863 posts, read 4,394,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
John McEnroe is STILL known 35-40 years after he played winning tennis because of what a huge jerk he was. I am not sure I would bring him up as example of white players getting a pass for bad behavior. He was a very good player who won many majors and is an exceptional commentator......but he is still mostly known for his big fat mouth.

In this thread you have fans calling out

McEnroe - white American
Novak - white Serb
Kyriagos - Greek/Asian - Aussie
Serena - black American

Maybe Serena gets it worse, I don't know. That isn't how I have read the posts. Most tennis fans, myself included, despise the whining regardless of who it comes from. I can put up with it from players who mostly play exceptional tennis and sometimes show their temper, like Serena, or in McEnroe's case, he was a Grade A troll, the #### he said was normally pretty biting, so still not a good look, but you do get away with more if your antics are entertaining. To be blunt, Serena (nor Novak's FWIW) are entertaining when they get mouthy, it's annoying and not befitting players of that magnitude.

The lack of respect for other players would seem to be sincere. It's been the Williams sister show for a long time, and yes Serena loses sometimes, but when she is on there isn't a woman capable of beating her. At 40 and in marginal shape she can go out there and beat any woman in the world on any given day. It's earned ego.
But she's no longer athletic enough to beat any woman on any given day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports