Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 04:49 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,411,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Gus Johnson is my favorite. Paul Allen who does the Vikings games is cool too.
I like Gus Johnson too. He's very good, IMO. I also, I really enjoy listening to Bob Uecker, Brewers radio announcer, as well as Wayne Larrivee and Larry McCarren, Packers Radio Network. I also like Hawk Harrelson, White Sox TV announcer. John Sterling of the Yankees gets annoying pretty easy. I'm not a huge fan of Daryl Johnston but I'd rather listen to him than Aikman. I like most of CBS announcers, especially Nantz. I don't like Simms. He isn't funny and what ticks me off about him is he refuses to say "Redskins". I know a lot of people don't like them but I like Dierdorf and Dick Vitale. Dierdorf was pretty good with Greg Gumbel. I like Gumbel as well. My favorite all time football announcer is Al Michaels. He obviously does his homework. I also like John Smoltz, Ron Darling, Keith Hernandez, Gary Cohen, and Gary Thorne for baseball. IMO the Pirates have one of the best announcers with the Brewers being the other, especially Uecker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 04:51 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,632,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
He talks a lot, but says very little about the game going on in front of him. Mostly he talks about himself, when he's not giving the sparest description possible of the play of the game. If I wanted to hear about his life, I'd ask him out on a date.

He adds nothing to the enjoyment of the game, whichever game it may be.

And he's annoying.
We're definitely watching neither the same guy, nor the same game(s).

Old 11-04-2016, 05:48 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,949,710 times
I gotta' go with Michaels and Collingsworth. They call a good game as a team.

Hate Simms. Besides acting like a primadonna over the REDSKINS, he seems to not be paying attention to the games he calls. More often than not, he'll call action totally backwards until replay proves him wrong. Then he talks circles around it.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:26 PM

151 posts, read 194,540 times
Marv Albert and Ken "Hawk" Harrelson.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:09 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,958,918 times
I seem to notice a lot of hate towards announcers and I also seem to wonder if anyone actually likes any announcer. I generally don't hate any of them (though Tessitore's "Texas is back" exclamation was absurd). I also don't care for Mack Brown in the booth as he speaks in cliches though I like him in the studio.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,958,918 times
Also don't care for Gus Johnson simply because he yells way too much. Any Big 12 game is a constant "AND HE'S RUNNING DOWN THE FIELD to the 35 yard line."

Old 11-05-2016, 07:15 AM

12,898 posts, read 9,155,404 times
Once you listen to British announcers calling a soccer match, you'll understand why. I can't stand most American announcers. The SCREAM THE ENTIRE GAME OVER EVERYTHING; they talk constantly; and the manufacture drama from somewhere all the time. And especially when it comes to college games, they obviously pull favorites, and if they don't have a favorite in that game, they spend the whole game comparing players, coaches, teams, and schools to their favorite. Just can't stand listening to them. In contrast British announcers just call the match and let events on the pitch speak for themselves. Little screaming, no fake drama calls. Much more like you are sitting there with a buddy watching the game.

Bottom line, American announcers consider themselves the star of the show.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:47 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,870,441 times
American announcers definitely talk too much. Let the game talk for itself. Buck is terrible at this, that and fake calls you can tell he spent hours practicing before a mirror. He and the bad ones have to become part the action/star with some inane catch-phrase that ruins the moment.

Al Michaels is the best at the moment. He's always been solid.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:12 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,411,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I gotta' go with Michaels and Collingsworth. They call a good game as a team.

Hate Simms. Besides acting like a primadonna over the REDSKINS, he seems to not be paying attention to the games he calls. More often than not, he'll call action totally backwards until replay proves him wrong. Then he talks circles around it.
I totally agree. Michaels and Collinsworth are great together. Michaels obviously knows what he's talking about. Simms, forget it. He's annoying to me.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:45 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,381,393 times
One of my personal favorites is Larry Andersen -- color commentator for the Philadelphia Phillies. Mr. Andersen is a former relief pitcher -- well-versed in understanding and explaining the changes in strategy which have characterized the game in recent years; also has a "homespun" style with which a lot of us can identify.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Andersen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports