Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 10:43 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,060,856 times

Advertisements

Bob Uecker calling Brewers games is the best ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 11:20 AM

2,585 posts, read 2,085,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I agree with you here. I actually really enjoy the Michaels/Collinsworth combo on SNF.
Michaels has always been solid, regardless of sport. Collinsworth adds a lot, but I really like that he is one (of the few?) who will actually call out a blown call by an official and also openly question some of the rules.

No flash, no antics, no goofy jargon, no manufactured drama with those two. Sometimes a bit too much adoration for a particular player, but it is like you are invited into a conversation about the game with people who are interested in the game, not themselves or the hype/drama that the NFL seems to think is marketing.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,937,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth
Dick Stockton
Troy Aikman (I do happen to like Joe Buck and I know I'm in the minority)
Kenny Albert
Sam Rosen

I thought Daryl Johnston does an outstanding job on color.

I miss Pat Summerall and John Madden. You knew it was a big game when those two were calling it.
yeah, i miss summerall and madden as well. speaking of teams i miss, how about keith jackson, howard cosell, and don meredith, or frank giffords, howard cosell, and don meredith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Michaels has always been solid, regardless of sport. Collinsworth adds a lot, but I really like that he is one (of the few?) who will actually call out a blown call by an official and also openly question some of the rules.

No flash, no antics, no goofy jargon, no manufactured drama with those two. Sometimes a bit too much adoration for a particular player, but it is like you are invited into a conversation about the game with people who are interested in the game, not themselves or the hype/drama that the NFL seems to think is marketing.
well said.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,413,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jim Hughson, Paul Romanuk, Mike Lange and Bob Cole for hockey.

Dan Shulman, Dave Van Horne and natch, Vin Scully for baseball.

Chuck Swirsky and Matt Devlin for basketball. Marv Albert's ok too.

Don't watch football enough to form an opinion.
Sadly Vin Scully has retired. It is the end of an era. 67 seasons with my Dodgers. He was there my entire life. Went to a bunch of games with him telling it like it is.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:40 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,387,995 times
The Boston Red Sox have pretty much always had very strong television play-by-play guys. Don Orsillo who was fired last winter and is now with San Diego. Sean McDonough who then went to ESPN. Ned Martin did it forever before that. That's 55 years.

My personal favorite has always been the Howard Cosell-era MNF team with Frank Gifford and Don Meredith. Most people hated Cosell but MNF from the 1970's through the mid-80's was larger than life.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:45 PM

26,702 posts, read 41,840,290 times
Gus Johnson is my favorite. Paul Allen who does the Vikings games is cool too.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:51 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,566,946 times
Quote:
Dick Stockton
Kenny Albert
Sam Rosen

I miss Pat Summerall and John Madden. You knew it was a big game when those two were calling it.

I really like Aikman and Buck when they work together. Seems like they had a natural chemistry in the booth.

Also a big fan of Sumerall/Madden combo.

I also liked Dick Enberg pretty well.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:03 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,630,609 times
Quote:
Dick Stockton
Kenny Albert
Sam Rosen

Never understood why people hate on Joe Buck. Never a decent explanation other than he annoys them (?).

In my opinion, Buck (and Schmolz) called the World Series very professionally and knowledgeably. He is also very good in the NFL booth with Aikman.

I've always appreciated Al Michaels. Daryl Moose Johnston is excellent. Chris Collinsworth does his homework.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:09 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,199,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
MLB: I enjoyed John Smoltz throughout the World Series. I am neutral on Joe Buck, and don't hate him quite like most people seem to.

NFL: I like the Al Michaels/Chris Collinsworth combo.

NHL: I live in an area that gets CBC. I really like Bob Cole, there is just something classic about his delivery. I also think Jim Hughson does a good job.
They are all corporate shills... nothing more.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:44 PM

42,007 posts, read 75,408,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Never understood why people hate on Joe Buck. Never a decent explanation other than he annoys them (?).
He talks a lot, but says very little about the game going on in front of him. Mostly he talks about himself, when he's not giving the sparest description possible of the play of the game. If I wanted to hear about his life, I'd ask him out on a date.

He adds nothing to the enjoyment of the game, whichever game it may be.

And he's annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports