Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I agree but ain't soccer making a rapid rise in USA?
soccer has been sustaining a rapid rise in the US since at least the 70's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 08:50 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
soccer has been sustaining a rapid rise in the US since at least the 70's
Yeah I remember now that pele played for New York in the 70s

Old 07-23-2016, 09:36 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post

That article changed our Sundays! We have a DVR, and we record the games we care about. We fast forward through everything that's irrelevant to the game outcome. We watch a typical football game in about half an hour (and that's because sometimes we have to rewind since we fast-forwarded too far).
I'd hate to watch a football game that way. Might as well as just watch highlights. One of the great things about football IMO is the built in breaks. It lets the fan take the game in more, especially strategy wise. My heart races fast enough watching at the pace with timeouts and commercials, I'd have a heart attack trying to watch a game in 30 minutes.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
I wonder how much of that rise also has to do with the rise of Hispanics in the US.

I don't think Soccer will ever overtake Football or Basketball in the US. And it has to be at least a good 15 years out probably from competing with Baseball or even Hockey and even that is a huge stretch.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:46 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I wonder how much of that rise also has to do with the rise of Hispanics in the US.

I don't think Soccer will ever overtake Football or Basketball in the US. And it has to be at least a good 15 years out probably from competing with Baseball or even Hockey and even that is a huge stretch.
Yeah I don't in a million years think it would match them at all if honest. ( sorry if my post implied that )

Old 07-23-2016, 10:50 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengis View Post
soccer has been sustaining a rapid rise in the us since at least the 70's
lol

Old 07-23-2016, 10:51 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:

I personally think Soccer can catch Hockey. Now baseball is another story.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
There was an article in the Wall Street Journal that timed all the real "action" in typical NFL games. It's about 11 minutes. That's right, of the 60-minute "playing time," and the three-hour "broadcast time," 11 minutes is the real game.

Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ
"So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour. As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps. In the four broadcasts The Journal studied, injured players got six more seconds of camera time than celebrating players. While the network announcers showed up on screen for just 30 seconds, shots of the head coaches and referees took up about 7% of the average show."

That article changed our Sundays! We have a DVR, and we record the games we care about. We fast forward through everything that's irrelevant to the game outcome. We watch a typical football game in about half an hour (and that's because sometimes we have to rewind since we fast-forwarded too far).

I don't know how to quote two posts in one reply, but to whoever said most American football players would have a heart attack if they played soccer -- you're probably right! Most of them probably couldn't last a full rugby game, either.
Quote:
I'd hate to watch a football game that way. Might as well as just watch highlights. One of the great things about football IMO is the built in breaks. It lets the fan take the game in more, especially strategy wise. My heart races fast enough watching at the pace with timeouts and commercials, I'd have a heart attack trying to watch a game in 30 minutes.
I used to watch NFL Films Game Of The Week that way the Saturday after the game. The narration and music made a great show. It went so far that as a boy I thought the most honored and important work a man could do with his life was become a NFL running back. That half hour along with the companion highlight show which covered the entire weekend is how we kept up with the league before the sports channels and the ability to pull in any game broadcast anywhere.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:14 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
It probably seems that way in the UK because American soccer is the most popular American sport in the UK ie we know about the Seattle Sounders a lot more than an equivalent NFL or baseball team, we can name American soccer players but don't now any NFL or baseball players. Its probable that football (soccer) is not so big 'over there'.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
^ wow. i cant name any usa soccor players (thats sad on my part).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports