Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:07 PM

145 posts, read 160,351 times

Advertisements

The thing with soccer is it goes against our desire to have "badass" athletes. It's a pure finesse sport. I think it'll get to 2nd place in the pacific northwest, but I can't imagine your average American liking a sport that is soooo skill based and doesn't have an established base already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:08 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap_Shot View Post
Yeah we know you blokes love your football, mate.

As far as here in the USA, we have a saying about soccer in America: "Soccer is the sport of the future. And it always will be."

It has gained in popularity over the past several years, but I don't think it will ever crack the Top Four of NFL; MLB; NBA; and NHL. The MSL will remain forever a distant 5th. And if you add NASCAR into the mix, make it a distant 6th. Right down there with the WNBA.

The quality of the MSL is still dismal, when compared with, say, the EPL; La Liga, or Bundesliga. The EPL is of course the best in the world. If you can play there you can play anywhere.

Oh, by the way, I'm an Arsenal fan.

Go Gunners! LOL.

Every time I turn on an MLS game the ball is going out of bounds. WTF? These knobs can't even keep the ball in play half the time. We tried to ramp up some popularity for soccer over here with the whole Beckham thing in LA a few years ago, but that experiment failed miserably. No man in the history of sports ever got easier money than did Becks from that fiasco.

It will always be NFL football over here. And baseball and basketball, in that order. I think soccer is at its height right now in our country, and if anything will decline. Americans demand excitement in sports, along with scoring, and we just cannot fathom sitting for 90 minutes to see a 1-1 tie. Oh, I myself see some of the nuances and the beauty in soccer, the flow, the subtle strategy, but even then it bores me a good deal of the time. And most Americans are simply unwilling to invest the time to learn the intricacies of the sport, which is required in order to render it more interesting.
Great post mate

Yep I'm a gooner as well LOL

I remember the last World Cup in Brazil and " team USA " had a match and the bbc pundit spoke to a few of the fans and not one of them knew any of the players LOL ( but have to admire their patriotism ).

I think beckham as a brand was possibly great for them but the 2 Wright- Phillips bros????

If I ever make it over there I would like to check out an nfl/nba/mlb game as I think it will beat going to Chelsea/West Ham away and getting my head kicked in

Nice to meet you mate and thank you to everyone else that has taken the time and posted

Old 10-30-2015, 04:48 PM

73 posts, read 85,122 times
^^^^^^^

you're welcome, cowboy.

say, you might not have to come across the pond for a nfl game. Ya know that they're playing games over there now, right? How hard are those tickets to get? do they sell out? do you think the nfl will ever have a team in London? Of course there are logistical problems with this, big ones. But I guess what I'm asking you is do you think there are enough NFL fans in England to support a nfl franchise over there?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap_Shot View Post
^^^^^^^

you're welcome, cowboy.

say, you might not have to come across the pond for a nfl game. Ya know that they're playing games over there now, right? How hard are those tickets to get? do they sell out? do you think the nfl will ever have a team in London? Of course there are logistical problems with this, big ones. But I guess what I'm asking you is do you think there are enough NFL fans in England to support a nfl franchise over there?
Well apart from a wonderful night out with a group of ladies in nfl shirts a while ago I haven't come across any other fans to be honest.

Me personally I'd much rather watch one in America as I think in its natural habitat it would add to the occasion, like watching Muay Thai in Thailand is much better than here.

There's lots of advertising for it even on regents street there's big banners so it might be possible but we have a basketball team here and Idk any player or when they play mate.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
another reason why football is less of a sport is because e.g. tom brady is sitting on the bench for half the game.

real sports have offense as well as defense.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:25 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
It's the NFL and it's not close. The ratings, the value of teams, the popularity of fantasy football. The Cowboys are the most valuable team in the world and they are worth more than an entire pro league (UFC)

Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
It's the NFL and it's not close. The ratings, the value of teams, the popularity of fantasy football. The Cowboys are the most valuable team in the world and they are worth more than an entire pro league (UFC)
Yes I've read they have just taken over from Real Madrid

Old 07-21-2016, 10:54 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
another reason why football is less of a sport is because e.g. tom brady is sitting on the bench for half the game.

real sports have offense as well as defense.
On one hand the sport being optimized for television viewing on the upper end, surplanted baseball when TVs replaced radios in the average home.

On the lower end the school level the platoon organization allows for the maximum number of students to actively participate.
And all 22 kids are actually involved in every play with the teamwork being taught which is the justification for a school having a program . Not just a pitcher and batter while 16 others stood waiting in baseball or only 10 on a basketball court.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
Right now, the NFL is a NO BRAINER! Though it may not be the same thing 50 years down the road, like it wasn't 50 years ago! Football/soccer's grip on the global consciousness far surpasses the NFL's grip on the American consciousness!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Right now, the NFL is a NO BRAINER! Though it may not be the same thing 50 years down the road, like it wasn't 50 years ago! Football/soccer's grip on the global consciousness far surpasses the NFL's grip on the American consciousness!
I agree but ain't soccer making a rapid rise in USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports