Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,192,581 times

Advertisements

Tour De France time

Interesting stage 1, a few crashes, fairly flat with that big climb at the end.

Good start for my man, Cadel ~ got some luck, and excellent work from his team. Hopefully not riding the Giro this year will pay off! 2nd overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:39 AM

no tour fans?

Another good team effort for BMC. Especially having such an early lead on Schleck & Contador...

Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,874,768 times
I am trying to stay off the grid for tour news, so when I watch the evening recap with Bobke, Phil and Paul, I don't stumble over any spoilers.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM

ah, yes its quite difficult in Aus, when the start time is about 11pm..
Always playing catch up..

Stage 4: I'm very happy with the result

Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
ah, yes its quite difficult in Aus, when the start time is about 11pm..
Always playing catch up..

Stage 4: I'm very happy with the result
I was very happy with Cadell Evans, been watching him for years. Even better was Contador raising his arm in victory a little too early. HAHA

Did anyone see what was painted on the road? "Just say no Contador!"

Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I was very happy with Cadell Evans, been watching him for years. Even better was Contador raising his arm in victory a little too early. HAHA

Did anyone see what was painted on the road? "Just say no Contador!"
heheh I did see his little arm raise ha ha!

not looking good for him, and I must say I don't feel to bad for him either.

cadel is a great, fair rider. placed nicely at this point of the race, don't need yellow just yet...

Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,980,081 times
I was quite shocked by yesterday's race: that France 2 car simply crashing into a group of cylists, flooring Flecha and throwing the poor Hoogerland right into a barbed wire. They should sue the idiot that was driving the car . Incredible.

For Belgian fans it was especially sore to see Jurgen Van Den Broeck crash and subsequently have to quit. He ended fifth last year and should have been able to go for the top-3 this year. Too bad .

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,529,764 times
My wife and I watched about 45 minutes of stage 9 I think. It was pretty cool, but we had some pretty noob-ish questions after watching.

Does each team have a devoted car? We saw a couple guys switch bikes.

I get that its a team competition to a point, but I cannot understand the dynamic between individual time and team time.

What is an average time for a "stage?" Do these things take 8 hours, or 3? or more?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I was quite shocked by yesterday's race: that France 2 car simply crashing into a group of cylists, flooring Flecha and throwing the poor Hoogerland right into a barbed wire. They should sue the idiot that was driving the car . Incredible.

For Belgian fans it was especially sore to see Jurgen Van Den Broeck crash and subsequently have to quit. He ended fifth last year and should have been able to go for the top-3 this year. Too bad .
That was quite simply, astounding.

That car was told to slow down & let the team car pass... what a absolute shocking move.

I would have been in tears on the podium too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
My wife and I watched about 45 minutes of stage 9 I think. It was pretty cool, but we had some pretty noob-ish questions after watching.

Does each team have a devoted car? We saw a couple guys switch bikes.

I get that its a team competition to a point, but I cannot understand the dynamic between individual time and team time.

What is an average time for a "stage?" Do these things take 8 hours, or 3? or more?
Yes, there are cars devoted to each team carrying spare bikes, drinks, medic etc.

There are different roles within the team, each team has GC (general classification) rider, and then there are other roles... sprinters, domestique (these guys do a lot of the grunt work, for their team/leader)... so the aim is to get a GC rider near the top, working with his team...

the average stage takes a few hours, I think the longest stage this year is about 240km -

Anyone feel free to correct me ...

Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
That was quite simply, astounding.

That car was told to slow down & let the team car pass... what a absolute shocking move.

I would have been in tears on the podium too.

Yes, there are cars devoted to each team carrying spare bikes, drinks, medic etc.

There are different roles within the team, each team has GC (general classification) rider, and then there are other roles... sprinters, domestique (these guys do a lot of the grunt work, for their team/leader)... so the aim is to get a GC rider near the top, working with his team...

the average stage takes a few hours, I think the longest stage this year is about 240km -

Anyone feel free to correct me ...
This video is of the end of stage 7. HTC is leading the peloton with Cavendish behind his team. They are wearing the white with yellow jerseys. The leadouts sprint ahead and seccessively pull out to deliver Cavendish for his final sprint. The replay shows it from above and it is really easy to see how the team gets Cavendish into position for the final sprint to the finishline, or as Phil and Paul call it, the finishing line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports