Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 PM

44 posts, read 50,031 times

Advertisements

Football (Soccer), Cricket, Ice/Field Hockey and Rugby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM

32,266 posts, read 35,063,849 times
Basketball is the "best," imo, because it has the most versatility.

If you have a goal in your backyard, you can just shoot around by yourself and practice free throws. You could go to the park and do the same thing. I find it to be one of the most relaxing things on earth.

If you don't have a goal, you can just dribble around in your bedroom or outside. I used to dribble all the way to the bus stop in high school and sometimes dribble two balls. I've seen some guys who can dribble as many as three balls simultaneously.

You can play one-on-one. You can play two against one. You can play three-on-two. You can play 21. You can play All Man. You can play make-it-take. All Day. Around the World. HORSE. The number of games you can play is endless. My cousins and I had a game where we would try to drive past each other on a driveway. If you went off the driveway, it was considered a turnover, and you lost your turn. It was a good way to improve our handles.

To my knowledge, there's no one-on-one in soccer. Definitely can't do it in football, rugby, or cricket.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Basketball also has one other thing going for it: the fact that you can make the game very personal. Because you're required to "stick" a guy, the trash talking opportunities are limitless. And there's nothing quite as gratifying as slamming a guy's face off (maybe beating a guy down in the boxing ring or delivering a Ray Lewis/Bryan Urlacher-type sack).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjH4MCFjysw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvp1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPmJM5-HSi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grXws5m11SA

Old 03-27-2011, 01:15 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,449,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
To my knowledge, there's no one-on-one in soccer. Definitely can't do it in football, rugby, or cricket.
No one one on one in soccer??? Are you joking????

Basketball is riddled with flaws. Mainly because scoring is so frequent it takes the mystique out of it. Scoring is supposed to be a big deal, and it happens like 115 plus times in a basketball game by both sides that it really becomes not that big of a deal. And, don't get me started when it comes to the zillions of arbitrary little fouls that are called for barely making contact with an opponent. But, that's just my insignificant opinion.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,462,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Of course muscle strength has value in basketball! Are you kidding me?
this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsx-0ndnrWA

Old 03-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
No one one on one in soccer??? Are you joking????
No, I'm not joking. I'd be very interested in seeing a video of a 1 on 1 soccer game. I'm sure it's nothing like 1 on 1 basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Basketball is riddled with flaws. Mainly because scoring is so frequent it takes the mystique out of it. Scoring is supposed to be a big deal, and it happens like 115 plus times in a basketball game by both sides that it really becomes not that big of a deal. And, don't get me started when it comes to the zillions of arbitrary little fouls that are called for barely making contact with an opponent. But, that's just my insignificant opinion.
How is frequent scoring a flaw? That's just the way the game is. There are plenty of things to look forward to in a game such as ankle-breaking crossovers, no look passes, alleyoops, and monster dunks.* I mean, soccer fans go wild after an offensive player makes a move, even if he doesn't score. And soccer players do all kinds of acting when trying to draw a yellow card.

*Nothing in soccer comes close to Lebron dunking on someone.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,026,419 times
Boy, what an unbiased thread, huh....?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,429,213 times
I have to say lacrosse, even though I am a latecomer to the sport. Why?

It is way faster than football and baseball.
It is way more physical than soccer or basketball.
It is way more strategic that hockey and soccer.
It is has way more dimensions to it than rugby or basketball.

In short, it's an ideal combination of speed, endurance, strategy, and physicality. I've gotten hooked on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports