Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,537,725 times

Advertisements

I am a baseball fan myself, but I grew up with it, so I am biased towards it. Overall, I have to say the best sport is soccer. The sport is the easiest to set up, a ball is all you basically need. It also requires speed, strength, eye-feet coordination, and an amazing amount of teamwork (the lack of coach interference amounts to my assessment here). Also, scoring a goal might be one of the most difficult things in all sports. Soccer is fun to watch if you are able to go pass the lack of scoring, and if you are able to enjoy the nuances of the game (somewhat like baseball in a sense). The game is international, so diversity wise, there’s no contender. The game is seen like a vehicle out of poverty in many developing countries, and in contrast, it has two of the most richest teams in all sports, Real Madrid, and Manchester United. It is not popular in the US, but there is a steady growing following in the states, and the MLS might surpass the NHL in the near future, and even if it never becomes extremely popular here, it really won’t matter. The sport has an almost religious following everywhere in the world. Of course the game has its negatives, specially its officiating, this last world cup was awful, but it can be easily fixed. The game also lacks stats, which is an engrained characteristic of American sports. I love baseball and it is my favorite sport, but I have to admit, the best sport in the world, is soccer a.k.a association football, whether a fan or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM

2,300 posts, read 2,051,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I am a baseball fan myself, but I grew up with it, so I am biased towards it. Overall, I have to say the best sport is soccer. The sport is the easiest to set up, a ball is all you basically need. It also requires speed, strength, eye-feet coordination, and an amazing amount of teamwork (the lack of coach interference amounts to my assessment here). Also, scoring a goal might be one of the most difficult things in all sports. Soccer is fun to watch if you are able to go pass the lack of scoring, and if you are able to enjoy the nuances of the game (somewhat like baseball in a sense). The game is international, so diversity wise, there’s no contender. The game is seen like a vehicle out of poverty in many developing countries, and in contrast, it has two of the most richest teams in all sports, Real Madrid, and Manchester United. It is not popular in the US, but there is a steady growing following in the states, and the MLS might surpass the NHL in the near future, and even if it never becomes extremely popular here, it really won’t matter. The sport has an almost religious following everywhere in the world. Of course the game has its negatives, specially its officiating, this last world cup was awful, but it can be easily fixed. The game also lacks stats, which is an engrained characteristic of American sports. I love baseball and it is my favorite sport, but I have to admit, the best sport in the world, is soccer a.k.a association football, whether a fan or not.
The trouble with soccer is that the players do not use their hands and arms. It's a good, cardiovascualr workout, but to be a sport that might be in the mix for "best sport", the use of all four limbs really is a missing requirement.

This reminds me of a documentary that was televised a few years ago. The documentary showed a riot in Paris, France. The rioters looked kind of inept compared to traditional American rioters, and one of the film makers asked an expert on "social unrest" why it was that the French rioters were so easily controlled by a relatively small number of police officers. Well, the answer was that the French people in general, and their respective rioters in particular, do not throw as well as their American counterparts.

There's nothing like growing up playing "throwing sports" to help in your rioting skills.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,421,832 times
^If serious, probably the dumbest ****ing post ever on any forum.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM

996 posts, read 1,908,847 times
College Football easily

Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,452,124 times
Best sport? I think one could easily make a case for soccer, hockey, or rugby. You could possibly throw Aussie Rules Football into the mix as well. These sports have actual flow, don't take 3-4 hours to complete a single game, and are not constantly interrupted by long, annoying commercial breaks.

Last edited by Interpol76; 11-15-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 PM

560 posts, read 588,396 times
It depends on the season...variety is the spice of life

Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,915,272 times
as a spectator without a doubt watching high level football (soccer) e.g. uefa europe champions league, english premiership, spanish la liga, world cup, but to play and participate in rugby, if your talking about working out, swimming or rowing

Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM

32,302 posts, read 35,133,460 times
For pure fun, I'd go with basketball. There are all sorts of games one can play that aren't physically demanding such as HORSE, Around the World, etc. Then there are games, like 21, that can involve as few as two people and as many as twenty.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,546,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For pure fun, I'd go with basketball. There are all sorts of games one can play that aren't physically demanding such as HORSE, Around the World, etc. Then there are games, like 21, that can involve as few as two people and as many as twenty.
Oh wow, I haven't thought about around the world in a long time. I cant wait to have a son

Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM

18,232 posts, read 25,553,964 times
I'm a soccer/basketball fan.
But I think the baddest sport in the World has to be Rugby.

My list: (1) Rugby, (2) Soccer, (3) Basketball.

For a sport to be the best... it has to be a continuous sport.
Baseball = 80% of the time, baseball players are standing waiting or sitting down drinking coffee or gatorade.
Football = 50% of the time, football players are standing waiting or sitting down drinking coffee or gatorade.
1/2 of a football team never gets to touch the football in their whole career.
Basketball = Highly ranked in my book, as long as everybody is about the same height. Anybody over 7'-0" is automatically a professional basketball player.

BTW, there's no better fans than soccer fans when it comes to having a wild atmosphere.
You'll never find a video like this of any other sport besides soccer. (Fans welcoming the team onto the field)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-OxnERlFGc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports