Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,521,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Thanks HML, for understanding and for the suggestion. I will look into the site. I think i've snooped around a bit there before, and will re-familiarize myself with it. Great suggestion.
Sure thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,449,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Yes, posters on this site mean well but often fail to realize that by the time you're posting on the special needs parenting board you've bent over backwards with different parenting books and behavior approaches. Setting boundaries and making up schedules are often the first line of offense for a parent in this situation. Most of us tried that years ago And while both are important with ALL children there's extra stuff going on here.

OP can I suggest a different board? I'm not sure I'm allowed to but addforums.com has some excellent posters with lots of experience with adhd as well as autism and other diagnosises. The posters on the parenting boards here at city-data are lovely for typical kids but the experience just isn't there on the special needs side, which I think you'd agree is what you're dealing with.
Good suggestion.

OP, good luck to you. Your child could have a co-morbid, such as ADHD and something else, such as the Asberger's. My child was diagnosed with ADHD and PDD-NOS. Yes, much of what you describe is behavior he has exhibited in the past. And yes, getting to a diagnosis was difficult. He has improved in many ways over the years (such as no more aggressive behavior/tantrums). He is almost a teen, and his biggest problem is his mouth. And, again, yes, he is very verbal with no speech delays. His autism-like behaviors are more subtle to many.

Having been where you are, I can say things have gotten better for us so far, and I hope the same for you.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,378,687 times
Thank you Bowian. It's small gestures like taking the time to write that post that makes a difference. You make me feel like I am doing the right thing and can possibly see a light at the end of the tunnel, which can be hard to see sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children