Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times

Advertisements

Actually in the newest DSM Aspergers was removed, and there is now just autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,538 times
While you search for an appropriate diagnosis, you might want to take a look at two books which can be extremely helpful when dealing with a child like yours:

Transforming the Difficult Child by Howard Glasser,
and Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation by Becky A. Bailey.

These books can give you concrete strategies to deal with the behaviors you have related here.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
If and when you seek another evaluation, make sure the professional gathers observational data from multiple sources. At a minimum, that means having teachers and parents complete observational data forms. The best way to gather this data is from actual observations made by school psychology personnel in various settings in the school environment, with at least one of those observations during unstructured time (recess, cafeteria, hallway transitions, arrival/dismissal). This is in addition to thorough collection of developmental information, school records including discipline referrals, parents interview and child interview, and standardized testing of the child.

Agree with the upthread point - the label is not important, the services and supports to help with the behaviors are the bottom line.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times
I agree that the label is not important. Services and therapy would be structured in a different way if it was something like aspergers vs. a personality disorder, or even just ADHD. We have tried so many methods over the years without much solution- though some is noteable, that it seems like we need to continue digging and not just accepting that its ADHD when some symptoms are over and beyond those that match that diagnosis. There are some things she does not share with aspie symptoms like obessive narrow interests. The things I read said most girl aspies normally fly under the radar because they are so well behaved and polite. Now, althouh I have instilled manners and she excercises them, I'd think that there would be more literature on the "raging" aspect if that was condusive. If its not, I need to keep moving forward. I'm just a loving mom looking to find ways for my daughter to have a happy childhood. We have great moments but days are less than stellar. I don't forsee a great future if we don't get the understanding of whats going on soon.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:32 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaypainter331 View Post
While you search for an appropriate diagnosis, you might want to take a look at two books which can be extremely helpful when dealing with a child like yours:

Transforming the Difficult Child by Howard Glasser,
and Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation by Becky A. Bailey.

These books can give you concrete strategies to deal with the behaviors you have related here.
Best advice so far. Your child may or may need any diagnosis. So rather than concentrating on medical diagnoses why not read up on child raising? As a parent, I would much rather find out that my parenting skills were lacking than that my child was.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Best advice so far. Your child may or may need any diagnosis. So rather than concentrating on medical diagnoses why not read up on child raising? As a parent, I would much rather find out that my parenting skills were lacking than that my child was.
Thanks Hollytree, this is good advice for all parents. I have many books suggested by friends, and therapists. The newest one is by Michael Bloomquist called Skills tranining for children with behavior problems" which was recommended by our current counselor. I have read up on parenting and believe me I still question if this is something I've caused, or not. I always keep my mind open to that route. I am a good role model though, as is her father. She lives in a lovely neighborhood, great schools, I'm a girl scout troop leader (did that so she could take part in something worth while), she takes horseback riding lessons, is encouraged to help cook and we always make time to family games, going to the movies etc. If it were my parenting skills, I'd hope we would have seen much more improvement based on what the therapists and counselors have suggested my husband and I try.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
A new diagnosis in the new DSM is called Social Communication Disorder, which has some characteristics of autism but is in a different category. You might check that one out.

Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder 315.39 (F80.89)

Diagnostic Criteria

A. Persistent difficulties in the social use of verbal and nonverbal communication as manifested by all of the following:

1. Deficits in using communication for social purposes, such as greeting and sharing information, in a manner that is appropriate for the social context.

2. Impairment of the ability to change communication to match context or the needs of the listener, such as speaking differently in a classroom than on the playground, talking differently to a child than to an adult, and avoiding use of overly formal language.

3. Difficulties following rules for conversation and storytelling, such as taking turns in conversation, rephrasing when misunderstood, and knowing how to use verbal and nonverbal signals to regulate interaction.

4. Difficulties understanding what is not explicitly stated (e.g., making inferences) and nonliteral or ambiguous meanings of language (e.g., idioms, humor, metaphors, multiple meanings that depend on the context for interpretation).

B. The deficits result in functional limitations in effective communication, social participation, social relationships, academic achievement, or occupational performance, individually or in combination.

C. The onset of the symptoms is in the early developmental period (but deficits may not become fully manifest until social communication demands exceed limited capacities).

D. The symptoms are not attributable to another medical or neurological condition or to low abilities in the domains or word structure and grammar, and are not better explained by autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder), global developmental delay, or another mental disorder.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Thanks adventive, I will discuss this in our session on wednesday.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Thanks Hollytree, this is good advice for all parents. I have many books suggested by friends, and therapists. The newest one is by Michael Bloomquist called Skills tranining for children with behavior problems" which was recommended by our current counselor. I have read up on parenting and believe me I still question if this is something I've caused, or not. I always keep my mind open to that route. I am a good role model though, as is her father. She lives in a lovely neighborhood, great schools, I'm a girl scout troop leader (did that so she could take part in something worth while), she takes horseback riding lessons, is encouraged to help cook and we always make time to family games, going to the movies etc. If it were my parenting skills, I'd hope we would have seen much more improvement based on what the therapists and counselors have suggested my husband and I try.
Yes, posters on this site mean well but often fail to realize that by the time you're posting on the special needs parenting board you've bent over backwards with different parenting books and behavior approaches. Setting boundaries and making up schedules are often the first line of offense for a parent in this situation. Most of us tried that years ago And while both are important with ALL children there's extra stuff going on here.

OP can I suggest a different board? I'm not sure I'm allowed to but addforums.com has some excellent posters with lots of experience with adhd as well as autism and other diagnosises. The posters on the parenting boards here at city-data are lovely for typical kids but the experience just isn't there on the special needs side, which I think you'd agree is what you're dealing with.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM

Thanks HML, for understanding and for the suggestion. I will look into the site. I think i've snooped around a bit there before, and will re-familiarize myself with it. Great suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children