Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,736,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
In the 5 years I've lived here, my property taxes have only gone up $300 per year.
The 5 years I lived in Omaha, they went up $350.
Property tax on my $97,000 home were $2500 in Omaha. My realtor paid $3500 on her $300,000 home East of the churches up on Mt Rushmore Rd. Seems more like I was getting ripped off in Omaha, then she is here.
Don't you live in Rapid Valley? And the churches on Mount Rushmore Road are ALSO out of Rapid City limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,498,360 times
Very interesting posts and links.

OK, here's a thought. I personally don't think it's fair that young people are singled out and charged higher rates for their car insurance. I imagine there are some stats that will show they have a higher rate of accidents, but surely they do just as well as an 80 year old behind the wheel. Just as my feelings are toward that, I also don't think it's fair to raise health insurance rates or life insurance rates on smokers or the obese. Someone with diabetes is going to cost the ins. company just as much or more then the other two will. (just as an example.)

SO, if we want to go with the theory that it's fair to make people pay for their sins of being overweight or smoking or that awful sin of being under 25 () how about we go with this~

Indiana is one of the states that I know of where parents pay for all their child's material in school. that includes text books, workbooks, etc~everything. I honestly don't know if they still do that, but I'm positive they did it at one time. That way the people who commit the awful sin of having children will have to pay for their huge mistakes and the rest of us will have no burden in it.

I know, sounds kind of ridiculous. But insurance and taxes were originally designed to distribute $$ more evenly. You pay in more then you use sometimes and other times you get back more then you pay in. Just the luck of the draw.

Raising taxes and insurance rates is one of the things that is driving people out of the houses they were trying to buy. I realize that the adjustable interest rates also had a hand in it and of course, some people just overbought. We have so few foreclosures in our state and it'd be a shame for that to change.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 PM

464 posts, read 1,357,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Don't you live in Rapid Valley? And the churches on Mount Rushmore Road are ALSO out of Rapid City limits.
I said East of the churches as I didn't want to list the street. It's one of the streets that goes from 5th to Mt Rushmore Rd behind that retirement home. So I guess it's technically not behind the churches, it's further north.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Very interesting posts and links.

OK, here's a thought. I personally don't think it's fair that young people are singled out and charged higher rates for their car insurance. I imagine there are some stats that will show they have a higher rate of accidents, but surely they do just as well as an 80 year old behind the wheel. Just as my feelings are toward that, I also don't think it's fair to raise health insurance rates or life insurance rates on smokers or the obese. Someone with diabetes is going to cost the ins. company just as much or more then the other two will. (just as an example.)

SO, if we want to go with the theory that it's fair to make people pay for their sins of being overweight or smoking or that awful sin of being under 25 () how about we go with this~

Indiana is one of the states that I know of where parents pay for all their child's material in school. that includes text books, workbooks, etc~everything. I honestly don't know if they still do that, but I'm positive they did it at one time. That way the people who commit the awful sin of having children will have to pay for their huge mistakes and the rest of us will have no burden in it.

I know, sounds kind of ridiculous. But insurance and taxes were originally designed to distribute $$ more evenly. You pay in more then you use sometimes and other times you get back more then you pay in. Just the luck of the draw.

Raising taxes and insurance rates is one of the things that is driving people out of the houses they were trying to buy. I realize that the adjustable interest rates also had a hand in it and of course, some people just overbought. We have so few foreclosures in our state and it'd be a shame for that to change.
I don't want to discredit you, and I'm sure it's different town by town, but I emailed my sister. She lives in Fishers, IN a northeastern suburb of Indianapolis. She doesn't pay for her kids supplies.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Jammie, I don't think that it's fair for people under 25 to pay higher car insurance rates either. In fact, it's ageism and it's considered illegal. You would think that they would start you off with a clean slate and see how you do at first. I guess it kind of depends on obese people and health insurance. If they have a condition (thyroid, genetics, etc.) I don't think their rates should be any higher than a someone who's healthy. If they have a drive-thru addiction and an inactive lifestyle they should pay more.

Sorry, but I think smokers should have to pay higher premiums. They choose to put themselves at risk for health complications.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Well if that were the case, I'd be screwed. I totalled my first car 6 weeks after I turned 16!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
I said East of the churches as I didn't want to list the street. It's one of the streets that goes from 5th to Mt Rushmore Rd behind that retirement home. So I guess it's technically not behind the churches, it's further north.
Like Terracita Hills? That's where I live. Some houses are in city limits and some aren't. Alta Vista Drive is the cutoff point for city limits. One side is Rapid City and the other isn't. However, Robert Durst built a $2.1 million home at the top of Terracita Hills three years ago and taxes went up in the whole development.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 PM

yes, that's it. I don't know all the neighborhood names. She's in city limits.
I'm really bummed that Pennington County updated the property assessor site. You can't view homes property taxes anymore. They changed it last month. I used to view them of my neighbors all the time. Call my snoopy!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,936,209 times
Danny, I agree with the insurance comment. Even though I am past the 25 threshhold, insurance companies paint everyone who is under 25 with the same brush unfortunately. I come across some older people and a few younger people in Sioux Falls who need to go back to driver's ed.

Those with autism, down syndrome, and others should have insurance and they did not choose to have these conditions and should have insurance not substantially higher (due to the people not having any choice).

Smoking and drinking is a different story. They should pay extra. Many smokers and drinkers choose to disregard their health and others' health.

I support a smoking ban due to the belief that second hand smoke is hazardous in general. Why should the non-smokers suffer or have to put up with the hazards of second-hand smoke? What about the service workers? Yes, smokers have a right to smoke, but they should do so where it would not adversely impact the health of non-smokers. As for me, I cannot stand the smell of cigarettes and my allergies and sinuses flair up big time when I smell second hand smoke. I usually do not like going into smoky bars or places due to that. Plus, I do not smoke due it being a waste of money.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,936,209 times
Gym memberships and some sort of documentation and tracking should be used to give discounts/incentives for those who lead to active lifestyles for health insurance. Those who are active and lead healthier lifestyles most likely get sick less often and help with the company's bottom line and productivity. Incentives would help those who are either sedementary and/or having poor wellness habits get motivation to lead better lifestyles. Incentives instead of negative consequences or the forceful hand is more effective in motivating people in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota