Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 59,541 times

Advertisements

I also am planning on having 3 one room cabins for hunter's during the different hunting seasons, and selling baked goods.

Does anyone know who I need to get a hold of to get info on moving out there and figuring out what my address would be, or do I have to have the main house built before I will have an actual address?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Lot's of things to look into. For instance, you will need a business license. You'll also need a meat processing license if your going to cut up any critters or dress them out for the hunters.

Normally, a ranch can cut up their own stuff and don't require a license. But if you going to sell hunting time and provide a service, you'll need one.

No, you don't have to have a structure first in order to obtain a address. The land is already there and has a address associated with it.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks, Elk.
There is so much to look into/up, it seems everwhelming at times, lol, but we can't wait to get out there!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM

You're welcome.

Everybody remembers the licensing when it comes to Restaurant, Hote/Motel, and that sort of thing. But I've seen more people burnt by the fact they forgot "Game Processing" requires a license. Even if all your going to do is skin it for them, quarter it, pack and ship it. You have to be licensed to do so.

I wish you luck. That's kind of a desolate area for some folks. Not everybody is cut out to be there. I'd love it myself. But then again, I was born and raised on the prairies of South Dakota.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,351 times
Well, I would say I'd have to question the existing address theory. There should be platting, zoning, and deeds on file for the property, but with no existing structure, there may not be a physical address. I know when we build new structures on vacant land, the address is still undecided. There has to be a street, road, or route associated, then the emergency 911 system manager for your county or area should confirm and assign the final address. If you are going to run a business (especially one where there is hunting/shooting involved), you'll need to be in the 911 system in case of an emergency. Those things would be part of the planning, licensing, and permitting portions of the project. It's not that big of a deal though. I'd go and speak to the county building and business licensing department first to see what you'll need.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM

190 posts, read 433,515 times
To clear up the address thingy, when I found how it was handled, it blew me away! I used to located utilities in only the rural undeveloped areas in SD, meaning nothing was out there but me and the utilities. We would work off of a master sheet, with each square mile already plotted out. We had to assign an address to each utility locate. To do that, the word "EVEN" was our beginning point for addresses, meaning E(ven) = East & even numbers. (eve)N = North and even numbers. That would leave South and West, which became odd numbers. Then from another master sheet, dividing the whole area into miles and feet, we could assign a numerical address to that particular parcel. Any city planning department has these master sheets and can tell you what your address will be. All you need to do is give them the particulars on the location. Hope this has helped with your question.

Bob

Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanks, guys, this helps alot! And I will get in touch with these people to get the details.
Jen

Old 03-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Just curious about how many bison your planning on raising. 50 acres will only support about 3 or 4.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Just curious about how many bison your planning on raising. 50 acres will only support about 3 or 4.
I wondered that myself. 50 acres definitely won't support a herd!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I wondered that myself. 50 acres definitely won't support a herd!
Well, the land in that area is said to be able to support a cow/calf pair (cattle) on 12 acres. Not sure what it is for a buffalo. haha They don't list things like that in Ag School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota