Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM

27 posts, read 52,082 times

Advertisements

Looking at a property there (via internet) and I have heard from friends in the Black Hills that the Newell area is not a nice place, but land is far cheaper than other areas... is crime really that high or what is the worst thing about that area? It's an hour from Rapid and a little less to Spearfish. That's not bad. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 PM

193 posts, read 677,514 times
Sorry, I don't know much about it but here's some old threads that may help:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...newell-sd.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...36-newell.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Newell-South-Dakota.html

Hope that helps

Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 PM

361 posts, read 861,527 times
This won't help much but the wife and I have been there twice but just passed through on a motorcycle ride. We were both from small towns when we grew up so it "seemed" nice but we only passed through. You would be isolated and I think you need to check the property close to see if you can even get water on the land you want to purchase.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM

412 posts, read 958,057 times
If you're looking at 40 - 80 acre parcels for absurdly low prices it's a scam. If it says Snoozy/Johnson Ranch, run away.

You can certainly get such parcels, but with water, electricity, fertile soil and access expect to pay more than $100k for land of that size that you can actually use. Some of those lots don't have drinkable water, power, useable soil or even access. The roads exist only on paper or not at all and you can't get to your land. Don't go through the internet. Go through a local, reputable buyer's agent. Seriously. Land is cheaper out there than in, say, Spearfish, but if it sounds too good to be true....

The Newell area is pretty IMO. I have a friend that lives out there. The locals are generally friendly, but they tend to be a bit suspicious of newcomers until they get to know them and realize that the newbies aren't trying to change the town. My friend tried to get a road paved and you'd have thought that she wanted to bulldoze the town by the reaction she received. The weather can be fierce out there. There isn't much crime. The newspaper reports stuff like, "Mrs. Smith had visitors from Delaware today. They had ham and potatoes for supper." The road saga was front-page news for quite some time.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,886 times
Having recently moved away from Belle Fourche (the next town from Newell), m2c is that the above pretty much applies. Also, if you have school-aged children, I have been told that the school is nothing to get excited over - those I know that had to choose actually homeschooled their children. Expect to be an outsider for a while. "Friendly" may apply on the surface, but it takes years to become part of the community.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
If it seems to be too good to be true it is. Be it the snoozy ranch or Custer Highlands or other cheap property. Remember you get what you pay for.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:30 AM

27 posts, read 52,082 times
Thanks all: the place was very vandalized, that's why the low price. There were two offers on it when I emailed the realtor, no contract... but still too much action to get involved. ;-) So, not too good to be true, but we'll find something else. The place had 10 acres, but no trees, kind of fugly. Thanks for your responses, I do appreciate it.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
You get what you pay for. Passing on this is a wise decision.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 AM

21 posts, read 28,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat View Post
If you're looking at 40 - 80 acre parcels for absurdly low prices it's a scam. If it says Snoozy/Johnson Ranch, run away.

You can certainly get such parcels, but with water, electricity, fertile soil and access expect to pay more than $100k for land of that size that you can actually use. Some of those lots don't have drinkable water, power, useable soil or even access. The roads exist only on paper or not at all and you can't get to your land. Don't go through the internet. Go through a local, reputable buyer's agent. Seriously. Land is cheaper out there than in, say, Spearfish, but if it sounds too good to be true....

The Newell area is pretty IMO. I have a friend that lives out there. The locals are generally friendly, but they tend to be a bit suspicious of newcomers until they get to know them and realize that the newbies aren't trying to change the town. My friend tried to get a road paved and you'd have thought that she wanted to bulldoze the town by the reaction she received. The weather can be fierce out there. There isn't much crime. The newspaper reports stuff like, "Mrs. Smith had visitors from Delaware today. They had ham and potatoes for supper." The road saga was front-page news for quite some time.
Scam is a pretty misleading statement! I'm a real estate investor and my family has bought land parcels all over the Newell area and near Redig. I purchased the land off of ebay. If I remember correctly, the seller was not representing anything about water, power, roads, etc. For the price, you can't beat it. Yes it might cost a little if you want to live out there but who would. The property I bought was a good investment. I paid all my property off and got a clean warrenty deed. I turned around and sold some of them for a good profit. I use the property for the Sturgis rally every year. The propery taxes are really cheap. It sounds like you know nothing about what your talking about. Please explain to everybody what you mean by scam. It really do not matter to me what you post about the property. I'm very happy with what I bought. It's just really misleading when people like you post thing that they know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota