Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,938,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I've asked before on another forum, with no clear answer, but how do WE as individual citizens impact the direction of this state in ways other than casting our vote at election time? There are quite a few of us in this state, outside of the political machine, with leadership abilities. One person can make a difference. Any ideas on how we can do something important to impact the state's ability to create jobs, which must come FIRST?
Read to your children. I'm serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,563,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There was a focus, but it's been rather recent. The effort to diversify, particularly in the state's major metros, is still in its infancy. So there ARE efforts being made, and incremental progress, but nothing near enough to stop massive job losses in a recession--such as what we're seeing now. Hopefully one day that will change.
Hope you are right and when this recession is over that the baby steps towards job diversity here in South Carolina turns into some adult progress. What is happening to a lot of people right now in South Carolina is heartbreaking.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,491,930 times
NewYorkBorn, you continue to make statements based on limited information. First of all, there are plenty of forward-thinking individuals in South Carolina trying to diversify the economy. In Greenville, for example, the reason we have Michelin, BMW, etc. is because someone realized 20 years ago that textiles were not the future. They were right, and today, we have some great companies who have done a lot for the area (and state). That's not to say that we don't still need more diversity, because we do, but we're in a lot better shape business-wise than a lot of other mid-size metros.

There are efforts being made in Greenville to recruit more knowledge-based jobs, and the young professionals that go along with them. There are several groups and organizations who work hard every day on those recruitment efforts. Don't discount those efforts just because YOU don't see the results you are looking for.

By the way, if you are going to hold South Carolina's struggling counties (e.g., those with 20%+ unemployment) against Greenville, you should be consistent and hold New York's struggling counties against New York City. I honestly don't see why we are comparing Greenville and NYC though. NYC obviously has more jobs to offer, just as it also has ridiculously high real estate, insane commute times, and a generally lower quality of life.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
NewYorkBorn, you continue to make statements based on limited information. First of all, there are plenty of forward-thinking individuals in South Carolina trying to diversify the economy. In Greenville, for example, the reason we have Michelin, BMW, etc. is because someone realized 20 years ago that textiles were not the future. They were right, and today, we have some great companies who have done a lot for the area (and state). That's not to say that we don't still need more diversity, because we do, but we're in a lot better shape business-wise than a lot of other mid-size metros.

There are efforts being made in Greenville to recruit more knowledge-based jobs, and the young professionals that go along with them. There are several groups and organizations who work hard every day on those recruitment efforts. Don't discount those efforts just because YOU don't see the results you are looking for.

By the way, if you are going to hold South Carolina's struggling counties (e.g., those with 20%+ unemployment) against Greenville, you should be consistent and hold New York's struggling counties against New York City. I honestly don't see why we are comparing Greenville and NYC though. NYC obviously has more jobs to offer, just as it also has ridiculously high real estate, insane commute times, and a generally lower quality of life.
And what's it to you.......mind your business!!

I see you are in Greenvilles business again. Still no answer to the question if Greenville is so great why are you currently living in Charleston?

Your a clown like the rest of your buddies on here........I don't have time to argue with 20 something year old children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville
I have lived in Charleston for the last four years, and while I do not claim to be an expert on the city and its people, I can say that it seems very Southern to me. I'm sure there have been people from the North who have moved to Charleston due to its relative affordability for coastal living. But I don't think the number of Northerners who have purchased homes there is any more significant than those who have moved to Columbia or Greenville to retire or because of their work.

Charlestonians do tend to complain a lot about "Yankees" moving in. Based on some of their comments, you are left with the impression that it is exclusively Northerners there, many of whom don't even live in those expensive houses they purchased. Based on my experience, this is not even close to accurate. Rather, I believe that transplants in Charleston stand out more, because it is such an historic city that prides itself on Old South charm.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM

5,598 posts, read 15,460,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
And you talk about idiotic ignorance? That is weak. You still have not adequately defended your earlier absolute statements.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
...Your a clown like the rest of your buddies on here........I don't have time to argue with 20 something year old children!
Apparently you do have time to sit around and argue since that is precisely what you have done again today. 20-something year old professionals (or "children" as you prefer to call them) are exactly what you said we need more of. Aside from the few members who have alluded to their age in various posts, it is virtually impossible to determine the age of anyone with whom you are in communication via an online forum.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Apparently you do have time to sit around and argue since that is precisely what you have done again today. 20-something year old professionals (or "children" as you prefer to call them) are exactly what you said we need more of. Aside from the few members who have alluded to their age in various posts, it is virtually impossible to determine the age of anyone with whom you are in communication via an online forum.
Obviously the age was mentioned by this person in another post......that is how I know the age! You can't be this idiotic.......then again

You are another member of the Greenville clown association! So you are now added to the ignore list along with the rest of the clowns. From now on when you address me with your ignorance.......your messages will be ignored......no time for BS.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Again, some of your arguments are baseless until you present to this forum believable (real) evidence supporting them. The only comments in your posts that I have questioned are the ones that I find to be inaccurate. If you believe they are accurate, then you have the option to defend them with supporting evidence. If you do not share your reasons for writing certain absolute statements that I have shown to be questionable at the very least, then be prepared to accept the criticism of those who disagree. Call everyone who disagrees a "clown" if you want, but that will never help your case.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,491,930 times
Quote:

I see you are in Greenvilles business again. Still no answer to the question if Greenville is so great why are you currently living in Charleston?

Your a clown like the rest of your buddies on here........I don't have time to argue with 20 something year old children!
I must have missed the forum rule stating that a poster has to live in a city to keep up with it and comment on it. Can you please direct me to it? Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 AM

13,082 posts, read 18,974,862 times
NewYorkBorn, while SC is not going through good times right now, you should read the New York Times and even USA Today about all the store closings going on in NYC now. Almost everywhere has its share of pain right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina