Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,580,365 times

Advertisements

After looking at the report it showed that they looked at unemployment rates for both the city and suburbs for the 100 largest MSA's in the country. It was the City of Columbia proper that showed a 15.8% unemployment rate and the City of Greenville proper that had a 15.4% unemployment rate. The report didn't show all 100 rankings for central cities and suburbs so we have no idea what the suburban rankings were. I think with the average ages for central cities tending to be lower than for the suburbs, it only stands to reason that unemployment rates would be higher for the central cities, especially in places with a lot of recent college graduates. These rates are still inexcusable, but it's nice to have the entire story instead of only have the story from the newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:58 PM

12,943 posts, read 18,802,100 times
15.3% for Columbia proper, not 15.8%

Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,551,219 times
No surprise on the unemployment figures!

There are a lot of people un-employed here in South Carolina. The unemployment problem here can be attributed to 1) the horrible economy and 2) the fact that there are limited job opportunities here........still a heavy dependence on hospital jobs and manufacturing industry jobs with no progress towards diversifying the types of jobs available.

If you live in a big city that offers diverse (good) job opportunities stay there.........do not relocate to South Carolina or any other part of the south until you are ready to retire.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 AM

12,943 posts, read 18,802,100 times
I've been reading about stores closing all over Manhattan and the other boroughs in this downturn, so don't even try it.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 AM

5,595 posts, read 15,397,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
...with no progress towards diversifying the types of jobs available.
I would love to see your evidence backing this statement. You should have lived here fifteen to twenty years ago.

Quote:
If you live in a big city that offers diverse (good) job opportunities stay there.........do not relocate to South Carolina or any other part of the south until you are ready to retire.
Now this sounds almost contradictory to your post in another thread stating that we need more young professionals in this area.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I would love to see your evidence backing this statement. You should have lived here fifteen to twenty years ago.

Now this sounds almost contradictory to your post in another thread stating that we need more young professionals in this area.
I did not start this thread......I did not create the unemployment numbers.......therefore I don't have to back anything up!! As I have said if people don't believe that South Carolina has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation then they should stop down at the one stop office (unemployment office) and take a look for themselves.

As far as attracting more young professionals here to Greenville......the only way we are going to manage that is through focusing on creating diverse job opportunities......just like I said on the Myrtle beach thread........we don't need to focus on creating low paying tourist related jobs here in Greenville........we have enough low paying jobs as it is.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM

The last time I checked this thread is not discussing Manhattan so let's stop trying to hide from our high unemployment problems in South Carolina by using NYC!

However being that Manhattan was mentioned.......out of curiosity let's see if any of the big companies in Manhattan are hiring........sure enough a lot of the big companies are hiring in NYC:

JP Morgan Chase
Bank of NY Mellon
KPMG (several office positions)
Sony Music Group
Morgan Stanley
Metlife
Bank of America
Pitney Bowes
Fed Ex (several jobs)
and a lot more...

Therefore if some stores close in Manhattan because of the bad economy.......then so what? NYC is the type of place that can either make people or break them! Rents for retail locations in Manhattan are astronomical.........a store has to be making an enormous amount of money on a daily basis to afford to stay there.......so no surprise that there is mention of stores going out of business in Manhattan. One thing is for sure NYC has a lot more job opportunities and diversity to fall back on........that city is not only depending on the healthcare sector (Greenville Hospital System), retail jobs or Manufacturing related jobs!!

We have lost stores in South Carolina recently like Linens n Things and Circuit City.......the difference here is that WE CAN'T AFFORD to have stores close down because we are still dependent on just a few industries and retail is one of them.........when we see stores close down here in South Carolina it is devastating because a lot of people lose their jobs.

All of this hiding behind NYC does not help us South Carolina residents with our high unemployment problems!

You simply can not compare what is happening in NYC with its much larger population and much larger skyline of companys to what is happening here in South Carolina. Apples & oranges comparison! Maybe when our skyline starts to look like this here in South Carolina then we won't have to worry about a high unemployment rate.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
...In my opinion we need to be moving in the direction of attracting a younger professional crowd that want to live in Greenville year round...

...There is nothing wrong with attracting an older retirement crowd......however it is the young professionals that will drive a citys growth into the future.
Quote:
...We need to attract that crowd here to Greenville. They bring with them fresh ideas, energy and a look toward the future because they are young and just starting out in their lives. The retirement community has it's place here in Greenville........but we need the young professionals to build a stronger foundation towards diversity in this city.
Now read the following quote and understand why I said that it sounds almost contradictory:
Quote:
...If you live in a big city that offers diverse (good) job opportunities stay there.........do not relocate to South Carolina or any other part of the south until you are ready to retire.
Now on to other business. You stated,
Quote:
...with no progress towards diversifying the types of jobs available.
Quote:
I did not start this thread......I did not create the unemployment numbers.......therefore I don't have to back anything up!! As I have said if people don't believe that South Carolina has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation then they should stop down at the one stop office (unemployment office) and take a look for themselves.
My previous reply was directed toward your claim that "no progress" is being made to diversify the local job market. I said nothing in opposition to your comments regarding the unemployment rate. An absolute statement, such as the one I pointed out, should have solid evidence supporting it. A quick rebuttal of that statement would certainly include the developing Next Greenville organization.
(video (http://www.wyff4.com/video/20195036/index.html - broken link))

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Now read the following quote and understand why I said that it sounds almost contradictory:

Now on to other business. You stated,
My previous reply was directed toward your claim that "no progress" is being made to diversify the local job market. I said nothing in opposition to your comments regarding the unemployment rate. An absolute statement, such as the one I pointed out, should have solid evidence supporting it. A quick rebuttal of that statement would certainly include the developing Next Greenville organization.
(video (http://www.wyff4.com/video/20195036/index.html - broken link))
If there were progress being made here in Greenville to diversify the job opportunities.........then we would not see these high unemployment numbers! As I said I did not create the unemployment numbers therefore I don't need to have solid evidence supporting anything.......the numbers speak for themselves.

Let me say this again.......if you are living in a large city that is already established and offers diverse job opportunities stay there. Therefore until Greenville (South Carolina) has made more progress towards job diversity.......we can not attract young professionals and they may as well stay in cities where there are opportunities. For those getting ready to retire.......don't head to the south until you actually retire.

So what, we have one new place opening to help entrepreneurs......1 place opening in Greenville does not put an end to the high unemployment numbers in South Carolina.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
...we can not attract young professionals and they may as well stay in cities where there are opportunities.
Another absolute statement that demands supporting evidence. What are you going to say about the person in his/her mid-30's who just posted in the Greenville-Spartanburg subforum regarding a family relocation to Greenville for work? There have been several others as well who have been attracted by jobs, climate, amenities, and other opportunities. Just read the comments and then attempt to prove that there is absolutely no attraction for young professionals in SC - but this time please use real evidence, not a statement without any support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina