Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times

Advertisements

I never seem to find any threads on Hilton Head...is it being kept a secret........or is there just no interest in it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM

239 posts, read 701,772 times
overcrowded.... terrible beaches... uptight people ....overpriced housing...great golf.....

Old 06-26-2008, 06:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
It doesn't have a whole separate category like Charleston does... understandably, since its population is small.

I adore Hilton Head. It is NOT overcrowded, has GREAT beaches, WONDERFUL, kind, lovely people, but the housing is a little expensive. Hey, supply and demand, eh?

I'll tell you anything you want to know about Hilton Head - it's paradise imho. When we are there, it's like the whole world goes away. It is quiet but has everything you want within an easy drive.

Do you want to find out about Hilton Head as a vacation venue or a potential home? What line of work are you in? It IS a retirement/resort community, so the business opportunities are somewhat limited. However, Savannah is relatively close.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 AM

Question Retirement Home

We have been looking into moving south for several years now...originally it was Florida...but with all the problems... hurricanes/insurance/taxes/etc......Florida is no longer the affordable retirement mecca it use to be...So we have decided to look a little further north...

I have visited Hilton Head on several occasions...and I liked it each time...what held me up on making a decision to look there...is that South Carolina taxes pensions...and retirement income......but unfortunately ...Florida costs just as much....if not more...when you factor in what you have to pay for insurance & taxes on a home purchase...(roughly 2.2% of the purchase price)...and like they say....you can't deduct insurance payments from your taxes...

So...to answer your question....it would definately be a retirment home...hopefully close enough to the beach so we could walk there and/or ride a bike...and yes I agree with you...that most of the people are as friendly to you as you are to them.......

Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 AM

If you live in Port Royal Plantation, there aren't any tourists - it's in the neighborhood association rules that nobody can rent their houses. So if you want quiet, that's the place (or it's a good place) with fantastic golf and a lovely arboretum for biking in. It doesn't have any boat access, though - just miles and miles of beaches. I can't tell you how many entire mornings I've whiled away just walking and walking and walking down that endless beach...

In Hilton Head Plantation, there is a point called Dolphin Head, where apparently the dolphins love to feed. Of course you can see them from any beach or waterway on the island, but the folks who live near Dolphin Head claim that they have more than average. If I were thinking of buying (our family home there is in Port Royal), that would be something to investigate.

Windmill Harbor is a newer plantation with a GREAT yacht club and beautiful houses - they don't look "new" but very classic Old South. It has a totally different feel from Port Royal or Hilton Head Plantations.

I prefer the north end of the island - the tourist congestion is mostly at the southern end of the island. However, we attend church at the southern end of the island and it just isn't a very bad drive no matter what.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 PM

8 posts, read 29,294 times
Thanks Timelesschild for the info! We too are looking at relocating to Hilton Head.....but we would be moving there with two young children. From what I can gather, Hilton Head Plantation would be a good bet for families...do you think this is true? We currently live in the Atlanta area and are so sick of the traffic and build-up and congestion and having to drive EVERYWHERE...yuck! I just want a slower pace....a place where we can ride our bikes from out the front door, where there is natural beauty, and a safe place to raise our daughters. It seems that HHI is a good fit.....any suggestions where I can get more info. on family activities, schools, etc?
I so love visiting there...I just can't wait to call it home!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Hilton Head is beautiful, but unless you love to play golf or tennis and hangout on the beach it is boring. There are some nice restaurants, but the nightlife is seriously lacking.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:24 AM

239 posts, read 701,772 times
just my personal opinion but isle of palms is so much better than HH if you want a great layed back place...i and most people i know avoid HH in favor of tybee island or isle of palms...

Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 AM

Smile Next Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
just my personal opinion but isle of palms is so much better than HH if you want a great layed back place...i and most people i know avoid HH in favor of tybee island or isle of palms...
On my next visit to Hilton Head...August/September......I will be visiting Hilton Head...as well as the surrounding areas off the island...what concerns me about Hilton Head is like City Island - in the Bronx - NY - that there is one bridge for entrance and exiting the island......on holidays/warm weekends/summer weekends...it can take 2 hours to get on and/or off the island......not exactly what I'm looking for...

Of course...Hilton Head is much larger that City Island...with tons more of shopping/stores/super markets/etc...so I am sure there will be no great need to leave the island on weekends and/or holidays...but until you live a weekend in traffic...you really will never what it is like to live there...

Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Hilton Head is beautiful, but unless you love to play golf or tennis and hangout on the beach it is boring..
Eh, don't forget boating, hanging out at the yacht club, shopping... there is some good shopping for such a small island! ... swimming, kayaking, exploring, good local arts scene ... I'm constantly getting emails from the Hilton Head Orchestra telling me of yet another concert they are doing ...

Quote:
There are some nice restaurants, but the nightlife is seriously lacking.
You're right about this. I remember feeling this way when I was in my early 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina