Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2023, 08:05 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

But again, small business is where the beef is in jobs gains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 08:14 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
So you believe the Upstate had little small business growth?

Old 10-31-2023, 08:21 AM

Boeing increased the production in the summer so doubt that can explain how Charleston has more new jobs than rest of state combined.

Boeing is second largest employer in state. A significant increase in staff would be reported in the media.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:46 AM

Even in a record year for jobs added in the Upstate, I would doubt numbers that indicated the Upstate added more jobs than the rest of the state combined.

SC has a pretty balanced job distribution across the state compared to many states.

Some of y'all stuck in a Greenville vs Charleston paradigm.

Old 10-31-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
So you believe the Upstate had little small business growth?
No. The numbers show the Upstate’s doing fine. Am I surprised DEW’s numbers have been consistently indicating the Charleston region has been doing so much better? Yes. Do I believe DEW is inflating the Charleston region’s numbers and/or suppressing the Upstate’s numbers in their monthly reports? No. Why would I believe that? Why would anyone?

Old 10-31-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Boeing increased the production in the summer so doubt that can explain how Charleston has more new jobs than rest of state combined.

Boeing is second largest employer in state. A significant increase in staff would be reported in the media.
So there you go. The giants aren’t responsible for much of the growth right now.

Old 10-31-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Even in a record year for jobs added in the Upstate, I would doubt numbers that indicated the Upstate added more jobs than the rest of the state combined.

SC has a pretty balanced job distribution across the state compared to many states.

Some of y'all stuck in a Greenville vs Charleston paradigm.
All I did was look at the numbers, share the report, and say “What can Charleston-N. Charleston say?” You’re talking about other people’s Greenville versus Charleston game?

Old 10-31-2023, 04:55 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Looking at BLS comparing YOY labor by sector

Mining/Logging/Construction:
Charleston: Up 1.2k
Greenville: Up 0.5k

Manufacturing:
Charleston: Up 1.4k
Greenville: Down 2k

Trade/Transportation/Utilities:
Charleston: Up 2.9k
Greenville: Up 1.5k

Information:
Charleston: Up 0.4k

Finances:
Greenville: Up 0.6k

Professional/Business Services:
Charleston: Up 5.9k

Education and Health:
Charleston: Up 3.8k
Greenville: Up 2.8k

Leisure & Hospitality
Charleston: Up 4.6k
Greenville: Up 2.4k

Old 10-31-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
No. The numbers show the Upstate’s doing fine. Am I surprised DEW’s numbers have been consistently indicating the Charleston region has been doing so much better? Yes. Do I believe DEW is inflating the Charleston region’s numbers and/or suppressing the Upstate’s numbers in their monthly reports? No. Why would I believe that? Why would anyone?
So why are there no media reports stating Charleston metro has more new jobs than the rest of the state? It seems like a big story. Charleston Chamber of Commerce does not tout the metro has having more new jobs than the rest of the state. Why wouldn't they tout it? Isn't that their job? You are touting it and I assume you aren't getting paid for that.

Why wasn't Charleston mentioned by the commerce secretary last year when he said the Upstate is the business engine of the state? It seems like Charleston would have at least been tied with the Upstate a year ago if it was a force of nature this past year.

Governments the past few years and throughout history have make numerous claims that were not accurate. If they assert Greenville and Anderson are more connected than Greenville and Spartanburg, they can't be thoughtful people. That's telling people you don't live in Greenville without telling them you don't live in Greenville.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-31-2023 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-31-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Looking at BLS comparing YOY labor by sector

Mining/Logging/Construction:
Charleston: Up 1.2k

Manufacturing:
Charleston: Up 1.4k
Greenville: Down 2k

Trade/Transportation/Utilities:
Charleston: Up 2.9k
Greenville: Up 1.5k

Information:

Finances:

Professional/Business Services:
Charleston: Up 5.9k

Education and Health:
Charleston: Up 3.8k
Greenville: Up 2.8k

Leisure & Hospitality
Charleston: Up 4.6k
Greenville: Up 2.4k
Do they provide the job loss and gain data for each company? If not, there is no way to corroborate this information. It is hard to believe Greenville had a negative in manufacturing but did better than Charleston in finance and information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina