Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:48 PM

17 posts, read 49,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Out in the rural areas they are offering bonuses to teachers to work in their schools.
I haven't heard anything about bonuses, but instead a "fast-track" to teacher licensing. If these bonuses do exist, does anyone have info you can pass along? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM

lovethecarolinas said
Quote:
We have a new H.S. that will be open next year.
Is that the Fort Mill Academy? I saw it on the district Web site and was wondering was the differences are between it and Nations Ford and Fort Mill High Schools...

Old 04-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Well, the Greenville area schools are great. However, don't travel into Spartanburg. Those schools are very bad.
This is a bit of a blanket statement...there are good and bad schools in both towns...

Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
lovethecarolinas said

Is that the Fort Mill Academy? I saw it on the district Web site and was wondering was the differences are between it and Nations Ford and Fort Mill High Schools...
Hey there cooter - No, the new High School will be called: "Nation Ford High School". I will also mention that alot of the teachers from Fort Mill High School will be transferring over to Nation Ford (so if you are considering this area I would not rule out either H.S.)

Best to you!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkbsb View Post
I moved from the Midwest and the public schools in Orangeburg are bad, which I find abysmal. However, I feel that the local citizens have decided that it is preferable (and easier) to send their children to private school rather than fix the problem. This results in lack of funds for the public schools and a poorer education for those children. From an altruistic standpoint, I find this appalling and in the long run, it affects the whole community. If I owned a business, I would want my employees to be as well educated as possible.
As someone who went to one of these private schools you mention.. (in a nearby town)

What makes you think that funding is the problem? Some of the worst-performing schools have great facilities, and pay their teachers well. Most of the private schools have below-average facilities, pay their teachers poorly (with no benefits - heath, retirement, etc.), and barely scrape by on the low tuition they charge. Yet, they manage to send their students to UVA, Stanford, UNC, UGA, Princeton, Duke, Emory, UF, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, etc. Roughly 1/2 of my graduating class is now in law school or medical school - and we scraped by with funding. So do you really think money is the issue?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
Can anyone tell me, if the Charleston schools are so bad, then what is the graduation rate? Only 23% graduate from Philadelphia public schools. Only 21% graduate from the Detroit public schools? Can some one give me the rates for Charleston, Rock Hill, Columbia, Greenville??

Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Can anyone tell me, if the Charleston schools are so bad, then what is the graduation rate? Only 23% graduate from Philadelphia public schools. Only 21% graduate from the Detroit public schools? Can some one give me the rates for Charleston, Rock Hill, Columbia, Greenville??
You may want to take a look at the following link that I have provided below:

http://ed.sc.gov/topics/assessment/scores/ayp/2006/default.cfm (broken link)

(FYI: York 3 would be the Rock Hill schools)

Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM

hmm, thanks i dont see how SC is any different than other places, some better some worse

Old 04-24-2007, 03:50 PM

617 posts, read 2,571,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
Well, the Greenville area schools are great. However, don't travel into Spartanburg. Those schools are very bad.

Also don't go to Charleston. Those are poor schools as well. Atleast the public schools are. There are around 30 great private schools which are wonderful there. I find that teachers benifit from teaching in private schools more than they do in public schools.
You see, I don't post in a thread like this because I simply don't know much about the subject. If you're going to come in here and say that ALL public schools in the Charleston area are poor, how about some supporting information to back you up?

Now that I've cleared that up, I'll say that my elementary and middle schools in Greenville, SC did a nice job preparing me for college. (at Winthrop U. right now) I attended Summit Drive Elementary, near the North Main area of Greenville and League Academy of Communication Arts, also in the same area. I went to Greenville High School, which was ok.

If you find yourself moving to Greenville, there are plenty of schools to teach at. I swear Greenville Country has more schools than the rest of the state combined, haha. I know there are AT LEAST SIX high schools within 10-15 minutes of my house, and about that same amount within 15-25 minutes.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 PM

i wouldnt put my kid in any state run school because of what they teach them and we are all hostage to pay taxes for schools we dont even use, but not all Charleston area schools are as bad as some are saying. Mt Pleasant has a decent school system in terms of results, not in terms of their teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina