Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times

Advertisements

We have been doing some research into moving down to SC from NJ. Thank you for this. This was very helpful to me. I'm still concerned with the teachers being able to hit the kids though. I don't like that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I don't think you understood my post at all. It is a fact that SC has some of the highest state standards in the country. I have no idea where TX or MN or whereever else falls on that list. As I said in my other post, IF a school gets a good SC report card, you can be sure that the school is a good school. That doesn't mean that all schools get a good report cards. I am well aware that there are some very bad schools in SC as well but to make a blanket statement like that is absurd.

Check out this site that rates the state standards. SC got a B. Only three states got an A. MN got a D by the way: Thomas B. Fordham Institute - The State of State Standards 2006 (http://www.edexcellence.net/institute/publication/publication.cfm?id=358&pubsubid=1361 - broken link)

"South Carolina ranked first nationwide for education standards, assessments and accountability in the latest Quality Counts annual report by Education Week." Report shows South Carolina using strong academic standards : Local News : Anderson Independent-Mail

"Massachusetts, South Carolina, Wyoming, Arkansas, and Connecticut, in that order, had the five highest "NAEP score equivalents." In other words, Massachusetts' proficiency standard matched the NAEP standard for 4th grade reading better than any other state's. Mississippi had the worst score equivalents in that subject and grade, followed by Tennessee, Georgia, Alaska, and Oklahoma." Stanford University School of Education > News Bureau

"The authors of the study concluded that "Colorado, Wisconsin and Michigan generally have the lowest proficiency standards in reading, while South Carolina, California, Maine and Massachusetts have the highest. In math, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin have the lowest standards, while South Carolina, Massachusetts, California and New Mexico have the highest."
JS Online: State sets low test standards

In addition, Fort Mill High school was named among the top thirty high schools in the nation to be showcased at the Model Schools conference this summer by the Gates Foundation just a few years ago.

There are several high schools on Newsweeks list of top public high schools.

I could go on and on. This information is very easy to find with just a simple google search. People need to get their facts right before they go off spouting some regurgitated crap that they heard from someone else. I guarantee that in a few years SC schools AS A WHOLE will be in the top 50%.. SC does have some of the worst schools in the country, no one is denying that but we most certainly do have some of the best by anyone's standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,403 times
None of the teachers in my son's school have hit kids. It isn't mentioned as a form of punishment.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:56 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
Back when I was in school here a letter was always sent home at the beginning of the year asking if the parents give permission for the principal to paddle students. My mom always said "no" and wrote on the letter that if my child needs to be spanked she would come to school and do it. lol

Years later my child, now a senior in high school, has never had a letter sent home and I haven't heard of any paddling going on even though some of the kids I've seen could use a good paddling. lol

Old 12-28-2007, 11:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
It has been quite awhile since I've attended school, but when I was a kid, corporal punishment was only allowed with written parental permission and that was 25-30 years ago.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
That's about the time I was in school.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 PM

19 posts, read 95,575 times
I live in Greenville now and don't have school age kids. Riverside HS and MS (public) are two of the best schools in the state. A lot of transients here. There are also a lot of home schooling. There are a bunch of private schools too.

Check out the SAT scores.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM

36 posts, read 112,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO813 View Post
This is starting to concern me. My fiance will graduate in May with an elementary education degree, and the last thing I want for her is to be stuck in a run-down, poorly performing school. I'm sure there are good schools out there, but I worry that she might only be able to find work in a subpar district.

Can someone give me some insight into the overall schooling situation in South Carolina? Right now we're looking at the Greenville, Columbia and Charleston areas. I've searched for nationwide school statistics, but I'm having trouble coming up with useful numbers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Education is starting to pick up but lags tremedously in terms of quality for all residents.

Overall there is a blur happening between schools and law enforcement in SC so you will need to understand that things are not really about educational independence.

Teachers are becoming like wardens in the classroom.

I hope your ready.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,389 times
To all those that are bragging about SC Public Schools. 2011 reports: The state comes in 48 out of the nation(again). And they are lowering the graduation requirements(again).
Maybe we should paddle the teachers.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingtheworld View Post
To all those that are bragging about SC Public Schools. 2011 reports: The state comes in 48 out of the nation(again). And they are lowering the graduation requirements(again).
Maybe we should paddle the teachers.

couldn't find or open a link to any data. can you please post. just wanting to see what is used variable wise to rank states. also in what manner are they lowering the graduation reqs?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
Oh I couldn't disagree more. School choice has been proven around the world and there's no reason why it can't work here. Schools that underperform SHOULD be closed. Driving kids to schools? Do we not have school buses in this state? Forcing generation after generation of a family to go to the same failing schools is ridiculous. That's more harmful than anything else.

Your solution, throw more money at the problem, is simply not a solution and is typical of the backwards thinking that goes on in this state. Charter schools all over this country are turning out better educated students left and right and the statistics bear that out. Homeschooled children also test much higher than the government re-education centers we call "schools". Why on earth would anyone trust their children's future to the government? Oh, that's right, the same people who want socialized medicine. Silly me...

school choice will simply lead to further issues of racial segregation that has been happening in the United States since the late 1980s. i forget the report's name but it came out in 1989 and basically said that since the school desegregation movement of the 1960s and 1970s by the year 1989 schools in America have been on a reversal trend whereby more and more of America's schools were becoming less diverse than they were prior to the 1960s which is a shocker when you consider all the legalized racial segregation that was going on during that time period.

anyone with half a brain can compare the socioeconomic statuses of a school and its academic achievement level and see that both go hand in hand. school choice would simply result in even worse situations of racial segregation in schools where by we would have even more fort mills, riversides, lexingtons and wandos as well as more burkes, north charlestons and carolina's.

show me a public school in SC that is mostly non-white and has a greater than 50% poverty level that is having academic success and i'll pledge my undying support for school choice and voucher systems.

no wait forget that, show me a struggling school with a white enrollment with kids from upper class backgrounds and i'll shart myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina