Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM

35 posts, read 254,951 times

Advertisements

What is with all this slamming of SC schools??? We just visited Greenville and Spartanburg a few weeks ago. I laid eyes on most of the elementary schools in the Greenville district, and a few in the Spartanburg district.

Every school I saw in Greenville is practically a building built in the past 5 years. The test scores are high according to state standards, and the locations look vibrant, where there is activity and learning going on. They all looked secure from a facility standpoint.

Okay, there was one school in Spartanburg (we didn't tour the whole district) that looked run-down. Of course, because it was in a really bad neighborhood.

Your fiancee will just have to do like the rest of us, and research the area before accepting a position. This is something that she will be expected to do. Heck, even during the interview, she will get a building tour. That will tell her if it's a run-down school or not. It will also tell her if her teaching style fits in with the other teachers.

I was amazed at the economic diversity in Greenville *and* Spartanburg. But, Greenville definitely had a lock on equalizing that diversity in order to give all students a fighting chance.

Good luck to you and your fiancee! Hopefully my sons will get to learn under a great teacher like your fiancee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
I agree, i dont know why the attacks on SC schools, when around the country the public schools are abysmal as a whole. SC is no different and when you tell people from other places that, they wont even listen because they come with prejudice that they think northern schools are better than southern schools(although Alabama schools are some of the best in the nation) and Pennsylvania and Massuchusetts schools some of the worse.

Mt Pleasant SC(as i keep having to point out are very good schools in the state for grades, education and behaviors) as are many Greenville Spartanburg, Columbia and Rockhill schools.

You want bad schools, go to Rochester NY, Albany NY, and Buffalo NY you will see some bad schools, and also NYC public schools, Boston Public and Philadelphia public schools--which had to be taken over by a private company a few years ago. but someone would actually have to read a newspaper to know all of this and thats the sad product of the US public school, no one is reading

Old 12-06-2006, 01:24 PM

77 posts, read 320,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
but someone would actually have to read a newspaper to know all of this and thats the sad product of the US public school, no one is reading
Unfortunately, the Springfield News-Leader doesn't have much coverage over the schooling systems of the northeast. Believe me, I do my fair share of reading, thank you. I also went to a public school, and I firmly believe I received a stellar education, so don't rush to judgement too quickly on public schools.

The purpose of this thread was to gain insight on the schooling system in South Carolina from those who have lived in the area. If you, carolinajack, have a problem with public schooling as a whole, that's fine. However, I'm not looking for your opinion on that issue. I'm just trying to make sure my fiance will have a decent place to teach.

Movingmom, thank you for your insight. We plan on visiting Greenville in February, so I'm sure we'll get to share in your positive experiences with the schools in the area. Thanks again!

Steve

Old 12-06-2006, 01:46 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO813 View Post
This is starting to concern me. My fiance will graduate in May with an elementary education degree, and the last thing I want for her is to be stuck in a run-down, poorly performing school. I'm sure there are good schools out there, but I worry that she might only be able to find work in a subpar district.

Can someone give me some insight into the overall schooling situation in South Carolina? Right now we're looking at the Greenville, Columbia and Charleston areas. I've searched for nationwide school statistics, but I'm having trouble coming up with useful numbers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I know you mentioned Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston above (and this is why I have not responded sooner). Yet if you are the least bit interested in expanding your search....you might take a look at the Fort Mill School District. This is where my children attend and it is an excellent district. We are growing and will have a greater need for teachers in the near future. We have a new H.S. that will be open next year. In addition land is currently being looked at for 2 new elementary schools....projected to be open by 2008 and 2009. Lastly...a recent study predicted the school district will need to build at least 8 schools within the next 10 years to keep up with the residential growth.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM

pardon me Steve, but you are on what?? the Internet? You can easily go to the city and find out what their paper is and look up the school systems. You dont need to read a paper paper, when you have the internet.

and as it stand, i told you about what your fiance would find in the school systems--personal opinion and experience. How else would someone know what the schools are like??? duh

Old 12-06-2006, 01:51 PM

i grew up in SC, my ex wife is from Spartanburg and is a teacher who taught in upstate, columbia and rock hill school district what else do you want?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Carolinajack,

While I appreciate your opinion on the South Carolina school systems, I was a little offended by your overall opinion of the pubic schooling system in general. As the product of a public schooling system, I hardly consider my education "abysmal." If you aren't fond of public schools, that's fine, but it sounded to me like you were insulting my education, as well as my fiance's career choice.

I hope I didn't come across as bashing the South Carolina school system with my original post. I'm in the beginning stages of researching the area, and this forum has been a great starting point. I've been reading opinions on the schooling system in SC, and it was beginning to worry me. The only real information I had on the subject was from what I've heard others say in the forum. I was looking for some more in-depth information (beside, "schools in SC are terrible), and those that have posted in this thread have certainly been helpful in that respect.

As a whole, I feel much better about the public school system in South Carolina, and I look forward to finding a great place for my fiance to teach. I look forward to learning more, and I appreciate the help I've been given so far. Thanks everyone.

Steve

Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 AM

i apologize steve, you have a right to like the public school as i have a right to despise it.

my point wasnt that but that there is good and bad in all state schools and SC schools are no different, some good some not so good and some bad

Old 12-07-2006, 10:43 AM

Fair enough. Thanks again for sharing. Hopefully we can find one of the good ones!

Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 AM

301 posts, read 804,466 times
Well, the Greenville area schools are great. However, don't travel into Spartanburg. Those schools are very bad.

Also don't go to Charleston. Those are poor schools as well. Atleast the public schools are. There are around 30 great private schools which are wonderful there. I find that teachers benifit from teaching in private schools more than they do in public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina