Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 23,264 times

Advertisements

Love Charleston area, Mt Pleasant specifically. Can anyone offer knowledgable opinion about living in "Old Mt. Pleasant"? Negative or positive factors? We need only a small simple house, have no children, and like that location. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 PM

152 posts, read 322,374 times
I live in Goose Creek. Mt P is pretty. Heard it's a bit snobby though.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlphn View Post
Love Charleston area, Mt Pleasant specifically. Can anyone offer knowledgable opinion about living in "Old Mt. Pleasant"? Negative or positive factors? We need only a small simple house, have no children, and like that location. Thanks in advance.
I presume you're talking about the Old Village area? I love it down there and that's where you'll find most of the families that have lived in Mt P for generations. Remember, once upon a time, Mt P used to be just a small fishing village.

Mt P is somewhat segmented into the areas close to the bridge and those out near 41. The older neighborhoods closer to the bridge (which includes the Old Village), tends to have more 'locals' in it (e.g. people that were born and raised in Mt P). The newer and large neighborhoods out towards 41 are primarily transplants.

Personally, I think the Old Village has more of a neighborhood feel than the large neighborhoods out on 41 but I would presume that's all a matter of one's own perspective. There are no HOAs there so if that's something you want, it's something to keep in consideration. For example, you'll often see people with boats on trailers in their driveway or yard which you would never see in those large planned communities. In addition, the houses are quite a bit more expensive in the Old Village and you're likely to get a much smaller and older home there and have to pay more for it. But, it does have a charm that is challenging to put into words but is quite evident upon actually visiting.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
I live in Goose Creek. Mt P is pretty. Heard it's a bit snobby though.
I think that snobby moniker is much like the moniker that the South is 'racist'; a stereotype that doesn't actually prove to be accurate upon closer inspection.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I presume you're talking about the Old Village area? I love it down there and that's where you'll find most of the families that have lived in Mt P for generations. Remember, once upon a time, Mt P used to be just a small fishing village.

Mt P is somewhat segmented into the areas close to the bridge and those out near 41. The older neighborhoods closer to the bridge (which includes the Old Village), tends to have more 'locals' in it (e.g. people that were born and raised in Mt P). The newer and large neighborhoods out towards 41 are primarily transplants.

Personally, I think the Old Village has more of a neighborhood feel than the large neighborhoods out on 41 but I would presume that's all a matter of one's own perspective. There are no HOAs there so if that's something you want, it's something to keep in consideration. For example, you'll often see people with boats on trailers in their driveway or yard which you would never see in those large planned communities. In addition, the houses are quite a bit more expensive in the Old Village and you're likely to get a much smaller and older home there and have to pay more for it. But, it does have a charm that is challenging to put into words but is quite evident upon actually visiting.
Well said. I agree.

When we did look at Old Mount Pleasant some 12 years back, many of the houses were older and need quite a bit of work.

We decided to buy new, so we bought at Rivertowne.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:25 PM

152 posts, read 322,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think that snobby moniker is much like the moniker that the South is 'racist'; a stereotype that doesn't actually prove to be accurate upon closer inspection.
Um...I dunno. Mt P has kinda earned that one lately. They spent a lot of money a year ago on a "rebranding" campaign, a new town logo, and a new slogan of "Come On Over" because they (the city govt) wanted to change their image of being stuck up. A firm from out of state did a year long study, surveyed residents all over the metro area regarding image of Mt P, interviewed folks in Mt P about how they felt about those living outside Mt P, etc, etc, etc, etc, along with other PR studies.

They felt the image was real and somewhat earned. They're trying to change it though.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Um...I dunno. Mt P has kinda earned that one lately. They spent a lot of money a year ago on a "rebranding" campaign, a new town logo, and a new slogan of "Come On Over" because they (the city govt) wanted to change their image of being stuck up. A firm from out of state did a year long study, surveyed residents all over the metro area regarding image of Mt P, interviewed folks in Mt P about how they felt about those living outside Mt P, etc, etc, etc, etc, along with other PR studies.

They felt the image was real and somewhat earned. They're trying to change it though.
I always thought a good slogan would be: Mount Pleasant! Looking down on West Ashley.

Another MTP joke. I'On! Spelled that way as Pretentious is to difficult to spell.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:39 PM

21 posts, read 14,688 times
You must have friends that live there or have talked about it. It is very expensive, for example you can buy a 3,000 square ft. home in Rivertowne for $650,000 but would cost at least a million in the Old Village. A small "cottage" there will run you $800,000. If you have the bank account for it, you will like it.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:14 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
Old mt pleasant and the “old village” are different. Old Mt Pleasant is modest homes built from the 20’s through the 60’s that often are little more than 1000 square feet.theyhave recently been priced up around $500 a square foot.The old village is about like buying in Charleston south of broad.If you ask the price you can’t afford it!

Old 05-04-2020, 12:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying to be flawless View Post
You must have friends that live there or have talked about it. It is very expensive, for example you can buy a 3,000 square ft. home in Rivertowne for $650,000 but would cost at least a million in the Old Village. A small "cottage" there will run you $800,000. If you have the bank account for it, you will like it.

This is an 8 year old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina