Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 06:00 PM

1,529 posts, read 918,293 times

Advertisements

The interest in Euro 2016 is overwhelming. So Portugal won. Not what I expected, but it wasn't a bad match. Sorry to see CR getting injured. Happy it is over without any terrorism. Good show France keeping it safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 06:00 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,149,489 times
What's with all this talk of Portugal playing "anti football"? Looking at the stats posted on the Euro 2016 site, they were in the top fourth of teams (per game) in goals, shots, attacks in the box, and corners. How did they do that if they parked the bus? Answer, they did not, it's poor analysis by wind bag commentators. No one worse than the prematurely elderly Steve McManaman, the guy needs to be let go, he makes you feel like a sap enjoying soccer, he finds no joy in the game and is rarely fair.

I thought it was an enjoyable tourny in the end, a solid B+.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:40 AM

560 posts, read 600,921 times
Portugal usually plays with flair as most people who watch soccer know... they are called the Brazil of Europe for a reason.

However, how many times have we been the better team and ended up losing? I recall the semi final vs France in 2000 where we were the best team in the tournament and we were striked out by a dubious penalty 3 minutes away from the penalties ...

In 2004, we lost vs Greece in the final against all odds ...

Sure we havent played pretty since Fernando Santos has taken helm of the team, but like he said the other day "Im in this to win... finals are to be won, not played... if you ask me if I rather play ugly and win vs playing pretty and lose... I rather take the cup and I am going to take the cup mark my words..."

History is made of winners... no one remembers anymore how Portugal shouldve won in 2000 or 2004 ... and in a few more years rarely anyone will mention it.

On the cup, it will say Winner of 2016 - Portugal ... there is not enough room on the cup to say Winner - Portugal (but they played a bit defensive though) ...

This was long overdue... and the hero of the match to be Eder, the ugly duckling in Portugal just makes it extra tasy... from an ugly duckling to national hero ...

Ive been very critic of Fernando Santos and because he doesnt play with flair... but ill take winnings vs flair anyday... of course if both can be aligned then im all in ...

I was sick of moral victories already!

Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 AM

10,648 posts, read 16,065,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Portugal usually plays with flair as most people who watch soccer know... they are called the Brazil of Europe for a reason.
I watch football since i was 4 years old and never heard anyone saying that.
Have heard many journalists say that the Netherlands was the Brazil of Europe starting in 1974.
Brazilian commentators even compared Robben with Garrincha at the World Cup 2014 in Brazil.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 AM

560 posts, read 600,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I watch football since i was 4 years old and never heard anyone saying that.
Have heard many journalists say that the Netherlands was the Brazil of Europe starting in 1974.
Brazilian commentators even compared Robben with Garrincha at the World Cup 2014 in Brazil.
go watch euro 96, euro 2000, euro 2004...

that team was a joy to watch... I remember beating Germany 3-0 with our reserve squad in Euro 2000 with a hattrick from Conceição ... the turnover from 0-2 vs England to win it in the end... that was some nice attacking football there

Old 07-11-2016, 11:26 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,008,601 times
The only time I've seen "The Brazil of Europe" used to describe a team was in reference to Yugoslavia.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:14 PM

749 posts, read 858,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
What's with all this talk of Portugal playing "anti football"? Looking at the stats posted on the Euro 2016 site, they were in the top fourth of teams (per game) in goals, shots, attacks in the box, and corners. How did they do that if they parked the bus? Answer, they did not, it's poor analysis by wind bag commentators. No one worse than the prematurely elderly Steve McManaman, the guy needs to be let go, he makes you feel like a sap enjoying soccer, he finds no joy in the game and is rarely fair.

I thought it was an enjoyable tourny in the end, a solid B+.

ESPN was heavily biased for England, Germany, France, Spain, Italy throughout the tournament. It seems like in each and any competition, the just and fair winner can only be one of these countries. Mc Manaman even said the "wrong" team had won. "Lucky", "anti-football", "CR7-dependant", the succession of games have proved these to be arrogant, fallacious blanket-statements. The truth is that is all 24 teams were much akin to each other than many people would have thought.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,428,640 times
Brazil of Europe ? Where did that garbage come from ? If you're talking the diving side of Brazil you might be spot on but not the flair.

I think the competition is too watered down imho, id like to see less teams in it again. Portugal where boring to watch the whole tournament, I was hoping France would take it.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 AM

749 posts, read 858,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Brazil of Europe ? Where did that garbage come from ? If you're talking the diving side of Brazil you might be spot on but not the flair.

I think the competition is too watered down imho, id like to see less teams in it again. Portugal where boring to watch the whole tournament, I was hoping France would take it.

That being said, I'm sure the day Ireland wins anything, the fashion to achieve it will be the least of your concern.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:01 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,428,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
That being said, I'm sure the day Ireland wins anything, the fashion to achieve it will be the least of your concern.
Agreed, I've always said Ireland a better than avg to good team so I dont expect anything. just glad to make the tournaments. No pedestal for my team or any of its players. Well except Wes, Wes is a god =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer