Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:16 PM

27 posts, read 176,382 times

Advertisements

It rains in Seattle.....we all know that. But, what KIND of rain is it? It's not pouring rain all day long, is it? I've always imagined it as a sort of drizzly mist that never seems to go away. How often does it pour rain in Seattle?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,183 times
It hardly pours rain at all. You mean like the kind where you can listen to the pitter pat on the rooftops as you sleep?(I love that) - Nope doesn't happen often at all

It's mostly cloud cover and LOTS of it - I think it's over 260 days a year (have someone here double check for me) - and the moisture in the air coupled with the constant drizzle it's what makes it a wet city - not rain.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:48 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,046,095 times
Sure, there's plenty of days with the drizzly-type of rain but there are also days where it will rain steady all day and it's coming down quite heavy ...maybe not the kind of heavy downpour that you'll see in other parts of the country but you'll definitely get saturated if standing in it for more than a couple of minutes.

One thing I've brought up many times here, and one of the reasons I found the weather so miserable in Seattle, is it's a COLD rain. It's one thing when it rains at 60 or 70 degrees but during Seattle's winters, you'll typically get those days when it's 35-45 degrees and raining hard. That's downright miserable, it chills you to the bone.

But yes, Seattle doesn't get the most rain in the country but it certainly ranks right up there for number of days of rain per year. And you're right, some of those are drizzle for days on end.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:52 PM

I love that too, CityGirl! That didn't bother me at all. I don't know, there are quite a few times I could hear the rain hitting the roof ...I used to say, "man, those raindrops are big today."

Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Sure, there's plenty of days with the drizzly-type of rain but there are also days where it will rain steady all day and it's coming down quite heavy ...maybe not the kind of heavy downpour that you'll see in other parts of the country but you'll definitely get saturated if standing in it for more than a couple of minutes.

One thing I've brought up many times here, and one of the reasons I found the weather so miserable in Seattle, is it's a COLD rain. It's one thing when it rains at 60 or 70 degrees but during Seattle's winters, you'll typically get those days when it's 35-45 degrees and raining hard. That's downright miserable, it chills you to the bone.

But yes, Seattle doesn't get the most rain in the country but it certainly ranks right up there for number of days of rain per year. And you're right, some of those are drizzle for days on end.
Wow.....that really sounds depressing. There are so many reasons I want to move to Seattle but that cold rain.....the way it is just endless.......seems so sad.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Well, Dennis, people accuse me of exagerating when it comes to Seattle weather but my testimony should tell you something. I was born and raised and spent the majority of my life in the Seattle area. I love Washington. However, I just had to get away from the weather there.

Yes, it's sad in more ways than one in that if you suffer from S.A.D., you'll have problems.

The winters lead to S.A.D. because not only is seeing the sun rare, there's also the fact that the days are short. You're going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

But on a positive note, when we use the term "endless days of rain," that's relative. You may have 4 or 5 days of steady rain and then a few days of partly cloudy (or possibly even a clear day or two) but then it goes right back to a steady rain pattern again. That's what's typical ...one weather front after another with short breaks inbetween.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Well, Dennis, people accuse me of exagerating when it comes to Seattle weather but my testimony should tell you something. I was born and raised and spent the majority of my life in the Seattle area. I love Washington. However, I just had to get away from the weather there.

Yes, it's sad in more ways than one in that if you suffer from S.A.D., you'll have problems.

The winters lead to S.A.D. because not only is seeing the sun rare, there's also the fact that the days are short. You're going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.

But on a positive note, when we use the term "endless days of rain," that's relative. You may have 4 or 5 days of steady rain and then a few days of partly cloudy (or possibly even a clear day or two) but then it goes right back to a steady rain pattern again. That's what's typical ...one weather front after another with short breaks inbetween.

I appreciate the honesty of your reply. Most of the pictures I have seen of Seattle were taken during sunny days in July. I know that's not the reality of the area and I wanted to get a full grap of the city's true nature.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:04 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,914 times
Quote:
but that cold rain.....the way it is just endless.......seems so sad.
I don't suffer from S.A.D - but the dreary rain and cold drizzle absolutely affected me. It was novel and different for the first few years - a good excuse to huddle inside with a laptop and coffee... by the end of the last few years - it was maddening, and depressing.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I don't suffer from S.A.D - but the dreary rain and cold drizzle absolutely affected me. It was novel and different for the first few years - a good excuse to huddle inside with a laptop and coffee... by the end of the last few years - it was maddening, and depressing.

This is what I'm afraid of. I think it may be interesting at first, and fuel my study sessions for grad school. But years later it becoming "maddening, and depressing." Thank you for sharing your experience.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,695 times
Like others have said, it isn't so much the rain (it's primarily a drizzle), but it's the number of overcast/gray days that require some getting used to. However, I found the Seattle weather to be overall very mild (never wore my winter coat in 4 years). On the plus side, you'll have the most beautiful summer months you could ever have anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area