Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:30 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,250,592 times

Advertisements

Gallo, cabin fever for you maybe but me, my friends, family and associates simply do not hibernate in the winter. Many people I know don't even own a television. Suburbia I do not live and I do not hang out at the mall. 95% of my friends are from other parts of the country and I can honestly say I know of no one who stays in most of the winter watching tv, reading and venturing out only out of necessity. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 AM

148 posts, read 765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Gallo, cabin fever for you maybe but me, my friends, family and associates simply do not hibernate in the winter. Many people I know don't even own a television. Suburbia I do not live and I do not hang out at the mall. 95% of my friends are from other parts of the country and I can honestly say I know of no one who stays in most of the winter watching tv, reading and venturing out only out of necessity. LOL.
Wow, pwright. I have to say you are your associates are very unique – not from each other, but form the majority of people in the area.

Not owning a television?

You know of no one who stays in most of the winter watching tv, reading and venturing out only out of necessity?

Again, wow. You and your group of friends are definitely in the minority here.

Again, I never said it was out of pure necessity that people only went out. I am not saying it is like Antarctica and people are only brave the conditions just to get groceries or the bare essentials, but the majority of people are definitely inside reading watching TV, etc. during the winter.

There’s a reason why Seattle has the highest going movie population in the country and the highest readership profile in the country.

It’s because everyone is inside all winter/rainy season. In the suburbs and the city outside of working hours, the streets pretty much clear out. Again, you’ll find some people on their way to a restaurant or to a movie, but they are definitely not out and about just for the sake of being out and about. They have a goal, somewhere they want to get to, and they are not outside in the weather very long.

Do a simple Google search, and tons of results are found discussing this, and that what I am saying is true.

And again, a lot of people here do definitely hibernate here all winter/rainy season inside. And I think pretty much most forumer’s will agree with that statement. In general it’s fairly common for Seattleites to be rather isolated. 40 degrees, gloomy, and raining for a week straight doesn’t help things.

Again, I a not saying that you and you friends stay in during the winter/rainy season, but that is definitely not the norm.

Pwright, this is not meant to be rude, I am beginning to think you live outside of the world that most people in the area reside in. And I don’t think you are representative of the common Seattleite a lot of the time. But, more power to you.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:12 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
Wow, pwright. I have to say you are your associates are very unique – not from each other, but form the majority of people in the area.

Not owning a television?

You know of no one who stays in most of the winter watching tv, reading and venturing out only out of necessity?

Again, wow. You and your group of friends are definitely in the minority here.

Again, I never said it was out of pure necessity that people only went out. I am not saying it is like Antarctica and people are only brave the conditions just to get groceries or the bare essentials, but the majority of people are definitely inside reading watching TV, etc. during the winter.

There’s a reason why Seattle has the highest going movie population in the country and the highest readership profile in the country.

It’s because everyone is inside all winter/rainy season. In the suburbs and the city outside of working hours, the streets pretty much clear out. Again, you’ll find some people on their way to a restaurant or to a movie, but they are definitely not out and about just for the sake of being out and about. They have a goal, somewhere they want to get to, and they are not outside in the weather very long.

Do a simple Google search, and tons of results are found discussing this, and that what I am saying is true.

And again, a lot of people here do definitely hibernate here all winter/rainy season inside. And I think pretty much most forumer’s will agree with that statement. In general it’s fairly common for Seattleites to be rather isolated. 40 degrees, gloomy, and raining for a week straight doesn’t help things.

Again, I a not saying that you and you friends stay in during the winter/rainy season, but that is definitely not the norm.

Pwright, this is not meant to be rude, I am beginning to think you live outside of the world that most people in the area reside in. And I don’t think you are representative of the common Seattleite a lot of the time. But, more power to you.
Not to be rude, but you are assuming that everyone is as they are in newspaper articles, and I can personally attest to the fallacy of media (both local, national, and international) having worked in media for many years.

I, too, am of the no-TV, sociable variety and I live in Seattle proper. And many of my friends are the same. The parties don't stop (though the parties are Halloween parties and Winter Solstice parties) and the socializing doesn't stop. It just changes shape, really.

Because most people in Seattle proper are not from here, there are lots of differing reactions to the year-round weather in people who most likely have not been in such an environment previously. Some people are negatively affected by the grey weather. (They tend to be rather vocal about this, and given the media's need for stories, it makes sense to pay attention to the "squeaky wheels" rather than ask why some people do not mind the weather and others cannot handle the long stretch of greyness.)

A lot of locals (yes, there are still some locals!) tend to be energized by the lack of sun (they are the "super-white" who "flee from the sun", hahaha).

And then, there are those who acclimate themselves to their new environment.

I definitely acclimated to the weather. Being from the South, I now find that I'm not terribly interested in heat and humidity in large doses. Though you could not have told me this when I moved here, the grey weather and constant drizzle represent Paradise. I couldn't go back to constant heat and sun after having spent so many years in such blissful temperate weather. And I'm not the only one.

I am respectful of your experience, so please be respectful of the experience of those for whom the weather is a blessing and not a curse. Happy people exist in Seattle. Sociable people exist in Seattle. People really do find their bliss here, and that experience is every bit as valuable as the less-positive experiences. So, please do not dismiss things out of hand merely because it is not your experience.

Thank you.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 AM

148 posts, read 765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
Not to be rude, but you are assuming that everyone is as they are in newspaper articles, and I can personally attest to the fallacy of media (both local, national, and international) having worked in media for many years.

I, too, am of the no-TV, sociable variety and I live in Seattle proper. And many of my friends are the same. The parties don't stop (though the parties are Halloween parties and Winter Solstice parties) and the socializing doesn't stop. It just changes shape, really.

Because most people in Seattle proper are not from here, there are lots of differing reactions to the year-round weather in people who most likely have not been in such an environment previously. Some people are negatively affected by the grey weather. (They tend to be rather vocal about this, and given the media's need for stories, it makes sense to pay attention to the "squeaky wheels" rather than ask why some people do not mind the weather and others cannot handle the long stretch of greyness.)

A lot of locals (yes, there are still some locals!) tend to be energized by the lack of sun (they are the "super-white" who "flee from the sun", hahaha).

And then, there are those who acclimate themselves to their new environment.

I definitely acclimated to the weather. Being from the South, I now find that I'm not terribly interested in heat and humidity in large doses. Though you could not have told me this when I moved here, the grey weather and constant drizzle represent Paradise. I couldn't go back to constant heat and sun after having spent so many years in such blissful temperate weather. And I'm not the only one.

I am respectful of your experience, so please be respectful of the experience of those for whom the weather is a blessing and not a curse. Happy people exist in Seattle. Sociable people exist in Seattle. People really do find their bliss here, and that experience is every bit as valuable as the less-positive experiences. So, please do not dismiss things out of hand merely because it is not your experience.

Thank you.
Well, I respect both yours a pwright’s opinions, however, IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM DID I DISMISS THINGS MERELY BECAUSE IT WAS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Aren't you and pwright doing exactly what you are accusing me of? Your topics both mention YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS.

Again, I respect your experiences. I think you are twisting and turning my posts in this thread and not looking at them form a neutral perspective. I never said no one goes outside during the winter months, just that it is not the norm, and alot of people stay inside, And that is true. I am not one to assume, and I am not assuming anything.

Again, what you and pwright describe is not the norm. Period. Listen, I am not saying that whole city shuts down, and that no one has any contact with each other for this time. That would be lunacy to even think that. I know there are people at parties and people going out and such. But for the most part, people just stay in.

I love Seattle, I love the rain we get, and I love the weather here. One of the reasons I moved here was for the weather. I admit the area has its flaws, but so does every other place in the U.S. I am not, however, a homer for the area like yourself and pwrght.

I actually tend to be a bit more like you and pwright in that I am out year round, and don’t tend to shy away too much over the winter. Again, my friends and I are actually out a lot during these months, but I don’t base my opinion on just that what we do, because that is not reality, that is not the case when it comes to this subject.

I think you need to go back and read a lot of my posts. I give a real, honest, fair response to the things we discuss on here. I take a look at both sides of the story, and come up with a realistic, rational view of the city and the area, rather than just being a homer for the area, or someone who is only negative about the area. I am not one who posts over and over how bad things are, or over and over how good things are as many do in the forums

I am not sure what media portrayal you are even talking about. About Seattle having the highest reading profile and movie going/movie watching population the country?

These are things that the city of Seattle promotes about itself, and should be proud of.

These numbers are based on valid things (i.e., numbers of movie rentals, box office sales, book sales, library rentals, etc), it’s not like they are just plucked from the sky.

I do not want to cause any more trouble than I already did, AND I WILL NOT POST ANYMORE IN THIS THREAD. So, we will just have to agree to disagree one this one.

I am sorry if I offended you or pwright and had no attention doing so. Again, I very much respect your opinion and experiences. It is just not reality.

I didn't want to drag pwright into this, but it seems as though you felt I attacked him, or that I wasn't being fair and what I wrote, so I wanted to defend myself. I also want to apologize to him if I offended him.

Hopefully, some other forumers can jump in here and offer some of their perspectives on this topic.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:35 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,958 times
Quote:
Gallo: Hopefully, some other forumers can jump in here and offer some of their perspectives on this topic.
Don't go away, Gallo. You actually do present a valid viewpoint. I've been bashed before on the Seattle boards because I moved after 5 years there, and my daughter being born there. I have SAD, and I knew that I never liked Spring back east (Buffalo, NY), but didn't quite connect it with the rain part. I like winter (snow) because it has sunshine.

I love Seattle as a city -- lots to do, nice culture, beautiful surroundings, art, cafes, etc. It really is ideal....except for me the weather is a deal breaker.

I know people who just deal with it. Others like me end up leaving. I know natives who love it and hate it. It just depends. I'm always amazed when I meet people who love rain and clouds -- I do believe there's some inherent biological process going on that allows one to cope so well in that environment.

I, also, was out and about during the rain and grey clouds (which are pretty constant). I would trudge in those misty nights to the gallery walks. I would cozy on down at the Pike Place Market and the shops. I'd browse the bookstores. I took classes. I'd gather with friends.

I worked at the University and had a nice setting. I often remember running into work with rain pouring down and shaking off my coat. I just didn't realize that rain would be so oppressive compared to snow. Most of the friends I still have there are able to get out every couple of months to sunny places -- they say that helps a lot.

I think the thing is that one needs to know if they are prone to SAD. If one lives in an area where the rain is on and off, or it is broken up by stretches of sunshine and dryness, it may be difficult to determine the person's effect of the lack of sun there. I know a lot of people who moved there thinking it would be so much better than snow, or that they were "used to" rain, and then discovered that the rain and clouds are pretty much the norm there.

I recall how odd it was to go to Vancouver, Canada, where it was often sunny and much warmer than Seattle. Then driving back you could see -- miles and miles ahead, this huge looming grey cloud hovering over Seattle -- and you just knew you'd be leaving sunshine soon, and into that cloudy mist. It was a bizarre experience.

If you're not prone to SAD (many of us are, though), then you'll do fine. If you don't mind a consistent dampness and dark clouds, you'll do fine. If you don't have arthritis that is aggravated by the cold and damp, you'll do fine. Seattle as a city is really a great city -- it is the cold, damp, cloudy, misty days that are just so numerous that can get people down.

This is not a bash against Seattle, because it was one of the nicer cities I lived in. It is merely an honest assessment of how the weather really needs to be factored realistically into anyone moving there.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
I like Gallo's opinions - and I like PWright's - everyone has one - and I appreciate everyone letting me have mine

I do not believe PWright (or SeattlitefromNC, although I can not say for certain) have kids - your life is DIFFERENT with Different priorities if you have kids. This town is difficult and lonely when you are locked up in the house - no I'm not every day - but you can't drag your kids around town like you go care free when you don't have kids. They get sick in this weather too - they are your top responsibility not having the ability to just "go somewhere" - and if you knew all the crap you have to lug around just to go somewhere with a baby - or that you can only do things around nap time (Or that letting them watch 20 minutes of Sesame Street just so you can have a shower)

I'm a career woman - I have no idea why I sound like such an avid parent enthusiast. But whenever I see people say Seattle is easy and wonderful - my first question in my head is "Do they have kids?"

Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,958 times
Hi CityGirl. I have to agree. Actually, the best thing I did for my daughter was to move from Seattle. She, like so many kids there, had ear infections non-stop and got those awful tubes put in. Her ears just would not drain -- even afterwards. I heard of kids who got new tubes put in on a yearly basis!

When I left Seattle, I stopped in Arizona for a few months with friends, and my daughter's ears actually cleared in the low humidity! I was so relieved! She had actually become almost deaf from the clogged ears and she eventually had to have speech therapy from not hearing. Fortunately, it turned out well, but it was a shakey few years there.

And, you're right, taking kids out and keeping them warm is a challenge. Best of luck to you there.

Wisteria

Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,435 times
Thanks for all of your great viewpoints. I thought there might be quite a debate on this subject because it really is hard to get thru months and months of monotonous weather,be it rain, snow and yes, even sunshine.(I live in Florida now)

I did live in Connecticut for 5 years and found it hard to keep myself and especially my child occupied (Thanks City Girl for reminding people that partying thru the wet months is not an option for parents, at least good ones)

I didn't exactly suffer from SAD, but I was the only person walking around my block in 15 degree weather! I couldn't stand staring at the walls anymore. Most of my neighbors I wouldn't see for 6 months at a time. When I did motivate myself to go anywhere, I realized there was nowhere all that compelling to go. WalMart? TJMaxx? The grocery store? That was about it. I gained weight and talked on the phone... a lot.

So if I moved to one of the suburbs of Seattle, I was hoping there was more stuff to do especially with little kids. I guess not ??? I am not a city person at all, but I do like an interesting active lifestyle with friendly people around. After living in Connecticut, I couldn't live like a hermit again. It was bad for my soul and body(20pds. later)

Maybe Washington should be scratched off my list of possibilities, but it truly is a gorgeous place and I kind of had my hopes set on moving there someday.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,421 times
This has been a "very" informative thread!!!

After reading all this Ive come to the conclusion that it depends on the person.
I believe ones past plays a big role in whether or not (no punn intended there ) one tolerates and adjusts to the climate at hand.

Personally? I get in a great mood when it clouds over and the skies open up!! Especially in the summer when Im at work. My blinds are usually closed to keep the glare of the sun out, but when the dark clouds role in I open the blinds AND windows! I love the smell after it rains out!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
I shouldn't say there aren't a lot of parent and kids clubs and things to do - there are. It just is a different lifestyle.

But Song Girl I know what you mean - I got really depressed after living here a couple of years and all I would do is do errands: Target, Grocery Store, Trader Joes - repeat. I only wish to get as exciting as TJ Maxx!! HAHAHAHA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area