Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times

Advertisements

I think Seattle can be a great city for those who
1. Do not have SAD (this is critical for well-being there) -- unfortunately, you may not realize you have it until after you move there.....
2. If you are single and out and about and mingling and partying....
3. If you are the type of person who is a loner and enjoys time inside a lot.
4. If you're one of those unusual types who just adores rain, mist and clouds.
5. You have lots of family around, and go back and forth to each other's homes.

It is a fun city to explore, however, one cannot ignore the weather factor. I moved there thinking it just couldn't be as bad as I had been told -- some of us are very stubborn. Well, it was. I could not believe that summer did not arrive until July! And then left again by September!

If they could just move the city north a bit, out of that weather pattern there, then you'd have one of the best cities in the world.

For those who are considering relocating and selling your homes in another place, please seriously consider renting for one year (if possible), and see on a daily basis what it is like. Of course, the first year, there tends to be some denial, and it may be a fluke year when it's a bit sunnier. But generally, it is pretty damp and cold.

I do believe there are some body types that thrive in that kind of weather. I don't think it's the norm, though.

And, you're right, with kids it's even harder. There are breaks in the weather -- I recall April sometimes having sunny skies (with clouds, of course). But on average, it is only a couple of months in the summer that you can really plan anything outside. August is spectacular. If you don't live in Seattle but want to see it in its prime, come in August. By September (which back east is generally more dry), it is beginning to rain again.

When people talk about Seattle rain and mist and cold and clouds, it's not just a stereotype. Remember, stereotypes have some basis in reality.

Observe your own reactions to weather wherever you are. For me, I used to like that feeling after a nice thunderstorm back east....it was refreshing. Of course, in Seattle you don't even get thunderstorms. Thunderstorms there are like one crack of thunder, two if it's a big storm -- nothing even remotely close to back east.

It is very sad to me that weather is such a big factor in our lives, and it's been hard for me to accept that. I now know that I need to be in a place with less moisture and more sun -- not too hot (I'm very fair), not sun every day, a little snow is fine, and I do prefer a higher altitude (this surprised me, as I had not lived in a high altitude until I lived in Colorado and was very surprised at what a difference it made and how much better I felt).

It is a personal thing, however, if you live in a city that has regular 4 seasons, and you think that Spring is a cool season with the showers and all, just remember that Seattle is Spring pretty much year-round, and that rainy mist and dark clouds keep you very damp. No snow, no real autumn, one really great month of summer and sun, and then back to Spring showers.

So, for those reading who are considering Seattle, it is a charming city with lots to do, on the water, but you may be surprised to see that your response to the weather can outweigh many of those benefits. Just don't sell a home or anything until you're really sure you are okay with all that wetness.

And for those who are water babies -- you have found the ideal place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 12:15 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Wisteria

I could not have said it better myself

BRAVO

Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 PM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Default Embracing the Gray

I am worried about my husband that the gray may be a bit much for him. We currently live in a climate where is it is sunny most of the year (too hot for me). We plan to move to western WA. He loves to fish, though, and we have friends in the area. and I think that may help. I think there are always trade-offs. We spend a lot of evenings at home anyway so I don't know that that will be such an issue.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM

59 posts, read 270,816 times
It rarely pours. A lot of the times it will be overcast and sprinkling in the morning and will clear off and turn into a beautiful day. It's definitely kind of a gray rain.

It doesn't bother me - I kind of like it.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to be clear about what your are comparing it to. Most of the time when it is raining here, what is it doing elsewhere? It's not raining in the summer, after all.

I've live in NY/CT, DC, and Santa Barbara. It's not Santa Barbara! But the weather is probably better than the other places. I miss the distinct change of season, definitely. But you don't get real snow and you don't get humidity and unbearable heat, either.

Overall, I think the weather is pleasant. But if you hate rain or drizzle, it won't be your cup of tea.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM

77 posts, read 340,113 times
Seattle rain is a generally refreshing light to moderate rain. I think part of the negative rain reputation, as is mentioned, is the overcast skies. Few thunderstorms or really heavy rains, but, personally, I find the rain here relaxing + it helps develop the foliage (rather have a green lawn than a dried up mini-dustbowl). Some people find the shorter days + more rain in winter depressing; I think it provides a meditative environment that makes the winter a good time for academics (could contribute to the higher education levels and brainier culture here).

Rain aside, you still get enough clear days (especially in summer) where you get an outstanding view of the mountain ranges, which are a big part of the area's beauty.

Only bad thing I can say about the rain is building paint erosion. Lots of wooden structures that quickly take on a dingy look because of it (also, apparently, it will take its toll on vehicle paint over time if they're not garaged).

Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,306 times
Default Escaped Seattle rain, finally, after 15 long years

After 15 years of suffering through the endless cloudy, cool and damp days from October through July in Seattle, my family has happily relocated to the eastern side of Washington state to the much-maligned city of Spokane. There is no more breathtakingly beautiful place on earth than the Puget Sound--in clear, sunny weather. On the other hand, there is no more depressingly dark, damp and depressing area than the Puget Sound--nine-plus months out of every year. I would warn anyone not raised there to think twice about moving to that climate. There is a reason coffee is more popular than water there. I was sick every rainy season every single year, suffered sinus problems that resulted in three surgeries, and was on multiple medications for allergies to molds and fungus, not to mention treatment for S.A.D. I have lived here in Spokane for most of this year and haven't been sick or allergic AT ALL. It is a beautiful, friendly small city with no traffic, good schools and is only a few hours from Seattle or Portland. I NEVER want to live west of the Cascade mountains again.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomom40something View Post
After 15 years of suffering through the endless cloudy, cool and damp days from October through July in Seattle, my family has happily relocated to the eastern side of Washington state to the much-maligned city of Spokane. There is no more breathtakingly beautiful place on earth than the Puget Sound--in clear, sunny weather. On the other hand, there is no more depressingly dark, damp and depressing area than the Puget Sound--nine-plus months out of every year. I would warn anyone not raised there to think twice about moving to that climate. There is a reason coffee is more popular than water there. I was sick every rainy season every single year, suffered sinus problems that resulted in three surgeries, and was on multiple medications for allergies to molds and fungus, not to mention treatment for S.A.D. I have lived here in Spokane for most of this year and haven't been sick or allergic AT ALL. It is a beautiful, friendly small city with no traffic, good schools and is only a few hours from Seattle or Portland. I NEVER want to live west of the Cascade mountains again.

I'll echo what you just said, photomom. I spent over three times the amount of time you spent so I can understand your sentiments well. I'm now living in a predominantly sunny place and it's bright and dry most of the time. I feel much better physically. As I keep saying in many threads here, the Seattle area is where I was born, raised, and spent the majority of my life so I'll always consider it home and have a certain love for it but it's just not for me anymore.

--'rocco

Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 AM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times
City Girl and Wisteria. I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences. But..I wanted to present the other side of the coin for someone with kids considering the move. I have friends in WA (Gig Harbor area) that feel it is a GREAT place to raise kids and have their kids out in the weather all the time and haven't had the issues you've described. Maybe keeping them inside too much has hampered their ability to develop healthy immune responses. Despite popular belief cold weather does not cause colds. Germs (combined with lowered immune system) do. I live in a super dry area of Cali. and people get loads of colds...so it's not the damp.

I think if you fill your kids up with healthy, immune system boosting foods, dress them appropriately, and teach them not too share drinks with other kids there is no reason they can't enjoy the outdoors and be very active.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
Ness: Despite popular belief cold weather does not cause colds. Germs (combined with lowered immune system) do. I live in a super dry area of Cali. and people get loads of colds...so it's not the damp.
Just to chime in -- I don't think I ever mentioned colds in my post -- but rather ear tubes from clogged ears -- very common in that dampness there. Also sinus problems, or allergies to mold -- none of those are caused by viruses -- it's the damp. And...we did not lock ourselves up indoors. Being from an area that had bad weather most of the year (like Seattle), I was quite used to going outside during all kinds of weather. I do not like being cooped up. So, it was definitely not a problem with staying indoors!

I live in a dry area now -- haven't had a problem since. And I intend to remain in a dry area. You haven't lived there yet, and are going by hearsay -- which is good to hear both sides of the story right now. Hopefully, you will not be like me!

I am from a very cold, rainy, dark, snowy city, originally -- Buffalo, New York -- and for me, Seattle was way too wet and cloudy -- at least with snow there are often clear, sunny skies afterwards. And it's lower humidity, ironically. So, essentially, I would rather live in a climate with some snow, over rain....

For me, with SAD, and with the constant grey and dampness, it was too much. My daughter, who is now 17, is rarely sick, and she has thrived in the California climate! She loves going out with just a sweater on at most, and she adores not wearing boots, and hats, and gloves and all of that! She is a sun worshipper!

Obviously, we all have different body temperaments, and I would imagine some people can adapt to the wet and cold and grey and not suffer consequences. I just don't think it's the majority.

Again, as always, I feel Seattle has much to offer in terms of a city, however, the weather is definitely not for everyone! I hope you love your move, and that all goes well for you -- anticipation is part of the excitement! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area