Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 13,423 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a professional female currently living in east coast Pittsburgh, PA, I will be moving to Seattle on March 14th for work. My work place is in Seattle downtown and I am looking for shared apartment or studio close to Seattle downtown. Initially I am going to commute by public transport to work, and dont want to spend more then 20-30 mins on daily commute. Could you please tell me which all are safe and easy to commute areas to live near Seattle downtown. It will be good if it is near to Indian grocery mart and other shopping centers. I read it in one of the thread that Greenlake, Fremont, Ballard, lower Queen Anne, Wallingford, Ravenna could be options, but are those safe? I may not be living in Seattle for long term, hence I would prefer not to sign lease and rent a shared apartment or studio on short term. I dont go out for clubbing etc. neither am I very outgoing person. Basically I am looking for a place that is safe and easy to commute to downtown. Pl suggest.

Thank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
I am not going to be much help since we didn't live downtown when we lived there. We moved there from Pittsurgh for 3 1/2 years and are now back in Pittburgh! We lived on the eastide which is too far for you to commute. We loved Greenlake, Queen Anne, and Wallingford. My only sound advice is do not live in Belltown. We lived there for 2 weeks in an apartment while house hunting and it was terrible. Good luck with your move. Seattle is so different from Pittsburgh!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
In addition to all the neighborhoods already mentioned:
Parts of Capitol Hill are safe and an easy commute to downtown. I especially like 15th Avenue East area as opposed to the Pike/Pine or Broadway areas.
The Eastlake area is another safe and pleasant area close to downtown.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
I am not going to be much help since we didn't live downtown when we lived there. We moved there from Pittsurgh for 3 1/2 years and are now back in Pittburgh! We lived on the eastide which is too far for you to commute. We loved Greenlake, Queen Anne, and Wallingford. My only sound advice is do not live in Belltown. We lived there for 2 weeks in an apartment while house hunting and it was terrible. Good luck with your move. Seattle is so different from Pittsburgh!

did you like Seattle? what did you like -dislike?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
All of the options you listed are very safe. Seattle as a whole is a very safe city. I would venture to say it is the safest I've ever been in in the USA. Just avoid neighborhoods south of I-90 and you'll be fine (unless you buy near the water, in which case, all areas are safe).

For indian markets, I do not know of any in the city proper. If you go to near the Microsoft campus, I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:00 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
All of the options you listed are very safe. Seattle as a whole is a very safe city. I would venture to say it is the safest I've ever been in in the USA. Just avoid neighborhoods south of I-90 and you'll be fine (unless you buy near the water, in which case, all areas are safe).

For indian markets, I do not know of any in the city proper. If you go to near the Microsoft campus, I'm sure you'll find plenty.
Don't generalize. I've lived south of I-90 for 25 years and feel very safe.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Thank you for your replies everyone.

I have heard good things of Seattle public transport. If I live in Bellevue area can I reach within 30-40 mins to Seattle downtown, by bus? Is Seattle traffic is unpredictable and very slow moving during rush hours?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Metro and Sound Transit buses take about 35 minutes from the Bellevue Transit center to Westlake Center in downtown Seattle. surface streets in Seattle actually move fairly well, but 520 going over to Bellevue is mostly pretty slow moving during rush hours, I-90 moves a little better. I-5 can also crawl. Buses usually use the carpool or transit lanes which help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutam View Post
Thank you for your replies everyone.

I have heard good things of Seattle public transport. If I live in Bellevue area can I reach within 30-40 mins to Seattle downtown, by bus? Is Seattle traffic is unpredictable and very slow moving during rush hours?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Hello, everyone, I have been looking for various options to stay. I have found a hotel/apartments, they are in seattle downtown. Their rent is 795/month/person (including utilities) and lease is flexible. These studios are fursnished. It is just a mile away from my work. It meets my less commute time, furnished place, flexible lease needs BUT my worry is will it be SAFE to live in downtown? Pl reply me guys, being a female I am concerned of my safety and that is why am exploring all possible options. I hope I am not bothering you asking answers on my several questions. Thanks much!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Depends where downtown. Some parts are clearly nicer than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area