Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 28,175 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my very first post, so please bear with me. We will retire to the Seattle area in about 2 years to be close to our son ( he lives in Queen Anne). We currently live in Delaware and I am finding real sticker shock in the Seattle metro area. Is it truly impossible to find a small (less than 1000 sf) older cottage in the Seattle metro area for 300K ? We do not want a condo and it seems to me that this is all we can afford. What about Kent, Auburn or Pierce county? Thank you so much to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
There are parts of the Seattle area where you can find an under 1000 square foot cottage for under 300 thousand, and you don't need to go to Pierce County.
Parts of Auburn, parts of Kent, parts of Burien, and the Seattle zip code of 98178....98178 is roughly the south end of Lake Washington bordering Renton, but outside of Seattle's city limits. It contains several neighborhoods, some of which are better than others, they include Bryn Mawr, Earlington, LakeRidge, Skyway. Of those neighborhoods, there are parts of Skyway that aren't nice, but other parts that are much nicer. I live in this zip code. It's just a couple of minutes to major shopping but an almost rural pocket at the same time, and a 15 minute drive to either downtown Seattle or the airport. As far as I'm concerned, it has the best value of any neighborhood in the Seattle area, especially considering it's convenient location.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
(mod bump because of split thread)

Old 04-18-2008, 05:41 AM

IRA 500, Thank you! I would not mind to be in a rural/semi rural area. I love to drive around and see cows in the fields ( unfortunately here in Delaware there are very few left courtesy of developers.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
There is less and less of the rural feel right round here. A few houses down people have sheep, and Renton towards Issaquah around the May Valley Road quite a few horses abound.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 AM

29 posts, read 240,672 times
Default Safe Areas

Like the other posts say therer are many areas where you can get a cute cottage for under 300K. I just bought my house near puget sound and next to salt water park for under 270k and that was in november. In 2 year the prices might be higher or even lower. What I was told is that prices do not chnage much around the seattle area. Des Moines is a quaint little city by the water. Burien is built up more and has alot of buisnesses. Stay away from federal way it is really busy and built up. Auburn is a blue collar city and kent is nice on the hills. I know a great lady who know s the areas and she helped me which took a long time. If you want to know any more let me know.

Christi

Old 04-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Hi Christi, Thank you for your good information. I am still pinching myself how lucky to have found such a forum! All of you guys are sooo nice! I was getting discouraged and started thinking that I would have to look for condos instead... the problem is that the majority do not allow you to put up a bird feeder. I would really miss that. Des Moines sounds lovely, are the airplanes passing a big deal? Another member is also being very nice and I am slowly learning about the areas. Thank you, Valeria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area