Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,740 times

Advertisements

So my friend in Seattle offered me to move up, and said he would pay the first 3 months of rent, and after that we'd split it. He's still looking for a flat and I'm going up there in June to help him find a good place. We're thinking we want something in the city of Seattle. We don't mind moving further out as long as there's a park-n-ride in the area and quick buses to Downtown. Our budget is between $500-$1000/mo, which probably won't get us much. We're thinking about maybe renting a room in a board house in the U District.
I will hopefully have enough money saved up to live without a job for a couple of months. Are there any tips on finding a good job in Seattle? Most of my experience is in retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
If that $500-$1000/mo is each, you should do OK. If it's together, you will find the search like looking for hen's teeth. That's about what you pay for an old studio in the sketchy parts of the city. Of course, our worst areas are a lot better than the bad areas of southern CA so you might be OK there.

Probably the nearest areas would be over an hour commute by car, longer by bus with transfers. I do know of people taking the bus from Tacoma and even Olympia to work in Seattle because that's where they can afford to rent. Retail jobs come open in April-May as companies get ready for the summer tourist season. Once the cruise ships start to call in June, they are usually pretty much finished hiring,
but there are always additional jobs as people move or finish college.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If that $500-$1000/mo is each, you should do OK. If it's together, you will find the search like looking for hen's teeth. That's about what you pay for an old studio in the sketchy parts of the city. Of course, our worst areas are a lot better than the bad areas of southern CA so you might be OK there.

Probably the nearest areas would be over an hour commute by car, longer by bus with transfers. I do know of people taking the bus from Tacoma and even Olympia to work in Seattle because that's where they can afford to rent. Retail jobs come open in April-May as companies get ready for the summer tourist season. Once the cruise ships start to call in June, they are usually pretty much finished hiring,
but there are always additional jobs as people move or finish college.
Thanks for the info.
I know that Northgate has a pretty good park-n-ride, what is rent like up there?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:46 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
I really can not help you but I will say good luck :.ok:

I was going to say 500 month you would be better buying your self a nice tent so you can sleep in the Jungle is a greenbelt on the western slope of Beacon Hill in Seattle that is known for its homeless encampments and crime.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
So my friend in Seattle offered me to move up, and said he would pay the first 3 months of rent, and after that we'd split it. He's still looking for a flat and I'm going up there in June to help him find a good place. We're thinking we want something in the city of Seattle. We don't mind moving further out as long as there's a park-n-ride in the area and quick buses to Downtown. Our budget is between $500-$1000/mo, which probably won't get us much. We're thinking about maybe renting a room in a board house in the U District.
Green Lake will be perfect for you.

Quote:
I will hopefully have enough money saved up to live without a job for a couple of months. Are there any tips on finding a good job in Seattle? Most of my experience is in retail.
Join organizations and meetup groups. Meet people. Have business cards ready. Prepare an elevator pitch. Then profit

Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I really can not help you but I will say good luck :.ok:

I was going to say 500 month you would be better buying your self a nice tent so you can sleep in the Jungle is a greenbelt on the western slope of Beacon Hill in Seattle that is known for its homeless encampments and crime.
Yeah my friends warned me about that place, I ain't touching it with a 50 foot pole.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I know that Northgate has a pretty good park-n-ride, what is rent like up there?
Northgate has a full range, minimum $850-$1,000 for studio, $1,300 1 br, $1,500 2 br. Same as most of Seattle. The most desirable areas like Ballard and Capital Hill, Queen Anne and Magnolia are higher yet. The less expensive areas are south of town along the light rail, such as Beacon Hill, Othello, and Rainier Beach.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Look to Seatac, right off of 176th and 32nd-- and that general area. There's a bunch of apartments there, the range start at $550 (for a loft) and up. It's a good starting location, up the hill from the airport and the lightrail station. There are also buses coming and going just about all day. Get yourself an apartment there, get established then move onto a better area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area