Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 28,570 times

Advertisements

Hi - my husband will be working in Bellevue. We have 3 children grades 1, 4 and 6. We are American, but our kids have never lived in the states - our kids have always attended smaller international community schools (so are a little naive and not used to big public schools). My question is - what is the best neighborhood for us? And which are the best schools? We like to be around open minded well educated people - no bible thumping conservative areas please! We can afford up to around a million for a house. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,864,362 times
I'm thinking if you can afford a million dollar home, you might want to look at Mercer Island. They are renowned for having great schools. Bellevue, Redmond and Issaquah all have very good schools as well. But I'd definitely look at Mercer Island first. The commute to Bellevue would be a breeze.

V. =)

Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 PM

35 posts, read 101,452 times
I'm interested in the responses you will get as well. My husband and I have a daughter that will be going into first grade after we move to Seattle. I have heard Bellevue quite a few times, so we are definitely interested in exploring that area. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,788,220 times
Isn't limiting your friends group to open minded people inherently close-minded?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:21 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,276,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanania View Post
We like to be around open minded well educated people - no bible thumping conservative areas please! We can afford up to around a million for a house. Thanks.
I am the last person to endorse bible thumping but your attitude is scary. You say you are open minded, but without even knowing a person you are willing to write them off. Hopefully as you grow older you'll also grow wiser.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,389,264 times
Wthe city of Seattle, some very good elementary schools exist in Montlake, around Madison Park, and on Queen Anne, and a few other neighborhoods. North Capitol Hill is also very nice. Outside of Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, and Kirkland are all fairly easy commutes into Bellevue and all have good schools.
For your price range, you might want to consider, in addition to Mercer Island, the parts of Kirkland near the downtown waterfront, or west Bellevue, or the Somerset area of Bellevue, or around Chism Beach in Bellevue...
Outside of Seattle will have more Republicans, but almost every place around here outside of Seattle is pretty mixed politically, so even if you're an athiest left winger, you won't be completely alone even in a place like Kirkland or Mercer Island, but Seattle is overwhelmingly liberal, so you might have harder time fitting in in Seattle if you were a conservative bible thumper.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,545,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
I am the last person to endorse bible thumping but your attitude is scary. You say you are open minded, but without even knowing a person you are willing to write them off. Hopefully as you grow older you'll also grow wiser.
Amen.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:54 AM

Default in my defense

I currently own a house in the suburbs of Houston (we spend our summers there with my mom) and I am tired of my children being treated as outcasts because they don't belong to a church. So if I sound a little closed minded about that - I guess I am. I am also tired of the arrogance and ignorance that comes along with my self proclaimed white wing extremist neighbors. I can't argue with them any more - it is a losing battle. But I also can't live in neighborhoods where my car gets keyed because I have an Obama sticker on it. I am totally happy for people to believe whatever they wish - but I am fed up with them trying to push their conservative values on me and my family. Let's just say that I am intolerant of intolerance. That does not make me closed minded - just fed up!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 AM

that was a freudian slip - I meant right wind extremist!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:57 AM

ok will try that again right WING extremist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area