Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM

21 posts, read 25,684 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Relocating to Seattle is confusing and complicated! I will be visiting in a month and setting out to scout neighborhoods. However, I don't want to just search all neighborhoods randomly. The most important thing to us is good schools and safe neighborhoods!

I've read a ton of threads on here, and the nerd that I am, made many word docs full of info that I've gathered, and did a lot of research of many websites and blogs. And....I'm not sure if I'm better off now or not; I'm even more confused.

And hopefully that is where you all could chime in and help me sort it all out.

I would like to be close enough to Seattle to take advantage of all that it has to offer, but am not opposed to moving further from the city either. We would like a great school district (please be as specific as possible with school names), in a great area (again, neighborhood area specifics needed).

We want to only visit the neighborhoods with good schools, so that we don't have to move the kids around (one in elementary school and one in high school).

Looking forward to any and all advice or insight you have! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Best schools and accompanying highest housing prices are on the Eastside/Mercer Island. That's assuming you want best public schools. If private is an option, there are many more possibilities of where to live.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, you assumed correct, public school system. Thank you for your input!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
No need to be specific if you move into areas served by the Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, or Lake Washington (Redmond, Kirkland, Sammamish) Districts.

All of their schools are great, and the cities are all safe and family oriented. If you decide on Seattle or other area school districts, then the actual school can make a difference.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Thank you!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No need to be specific if you move into areas served by the Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, or Lake Washington (Redmond, Kirkland, Sammamish) Districts.

All of their schools are great, and the cities are all safe and family oriented. If you decide on Seattle or other area school districts, then the actual school can make a difference.
I've heard that a lot, but test scores sure don't bear that out( at least as far as Bellevue goes). Ardmore and Stevenson elementary schools test way below the state average, and Sammamish HS does as well. So I'm not sure that "all their schools are great". I will agree that Mercer Island, Bellevue,Lake Washington, and Issaquah's schools certainly are consistently better than most other parts of the Seattle area.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM

Relocating has been very difficult to figure out. Housing is expensive, the areas are often hard to understand (obviously mostly from unfamiliarity) and school scores and opinions about schools really vary. So I appreciate any input/opinions you have...it helps me to add it all up and try to focus in on the right things.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
My two cents ... live in the neighborhood you like the best in a house you love/can afford. Make sure you don't have budget-breaking mortgage payments and/or mind-numbing commutes. Then, work the schools (may have to be a combination of private/public) - you can get your kids the education they deserve if you put in the effort ... even in the Seattle School District.

Last edited by tobester; 04-29-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Thanks for your input!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area