Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,873,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Probably the produce in the salads is mostly from California anyways. Which brings up a more legitimate gripe. Produce in California is better: the state provides a large portion of produce for the entire country. A legitimate statement might be "California peaches are better than Yakima peaches" or "God, I'm so sick of Rainier cherries and the avocados here are crap."

You've gotta go with the local specialties in non-California states. The tropical fruit in Florida is divine. In Omaha, the steak is excellent. In NC, you've gotta try the pulled pork and watermelon. In Seattle, you've got salmon and apples. I can see why a Californian might be frustrated with a farmer's market here, since they're used to produce mecca. The rest of us just enjoy our marionberry pie.
Fair enough.

The apples and cherries here in WA are out of this of world. And my husband says the salmon here is so good, it tastes like a totally different fish than salmon you get in CA.

I think the thing about food in CA that makes it seem better (to me), is that it's not necessarily that it's like there's so much great food in one particular city in CA, but that there are so many large cities within an easy drive, that it just seems like there's more choices.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 PM

317 posts, read 953,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoSanDiego View Post
Now I know this post will be provocative, but I can't contain it anymore. Seattle is a terrible place to live, unless you are a radical, left-wing hippy hypocrite who worships the rain, teriyaki, Starbucks, who has a dog and is offended by people with kids, who doesn't mind sitting in traffic just to get nowhere.

Don't move here, especially if you are from California. It is NOT better.
Ahahaha. That's interesting. I am a right-leaning libertarian conservative, I don't worship the rain, teriyaki is okay, don't drink Starbucks at all since I have no idea how to order from that enigma of a menu, don't have a dog, know plenty of families, hate traffic, and I love it here. And just so you know, everyone hates traffic.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 PM

328 posts, read 841,551 times
All points raised (even if in jest) are highly subjective. Beauty, taste, weather tolerance, etc, is in the eyes, ears, and tongues, etc of the beholder. Seattle IS terrible to those who perceive it as such. I for one, consider it home. I'll take the bad traffic and alleged provincial attitudes, etc, because they are every where. Just ask any one from any where and they will tell you these types are all in (insert location here).

Oh, and if one doesn't think the "right" wing isn't here and/or is silenced, get a load of this. I just got back from a wedding and was seated next to a man who was actually happy that Ted Kennedy was dead, and had no problem saying it. No one jumped all over him, just a few of us politely stated his comment was tasteless and we all moved on. He continued to speak his mind on other topics with out incident or rancor. Where were those dang preachy far left wing democrats who comprise 99% of the population?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 8,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas AG View Post
12. Married, but there are beautiful women here. You're just not looking in the right places

13. So what, its a techie area. I like tech, and people who can fix it.

14-16. Yeah, it rains, get over it. You knew it when you moved. and if you didn't realize clouds come with rain, then , well, go back to school, as you need it.

17. I like flannel and fleece. Soft, cozy, comfortable. Whats wrong with that.

18. Don't really swim much at all, no problem. Rather fish anyways.

19. You want mountains, go to the Rockies. I like being close/far from everything.

I know you were tongue in cheek, so am I.
Looks like I struck a nerve with you? Anyways, I just call it as I see it. Lucky for you, you have someone. Being single is Seattle blows, really. People here are different, which is hard to explain. I don't hate Seattle, those are just some things I have issues with. I took the city for a test drive and now it's time for a newer model is all.

Chill out..

Old 08-30-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post

This thread is actually quite interesting. It not only brings out the fact that Seattle is not for everyone, but also brings out a certain "defensiveness" about the city. No need for that really, as Seattle has enough attributes to go beyond that.
Exactly. Aren't forums meant to share experiences? See what I mean about people acting provincial when someone expresses some of their displeasures of this place? Accept that no place (including Seattle) is perfect. Life is too short to get bent out of shape for another person's opinion that doesn't effect you.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodog38 View Post
my family and i moved to bothell only two months ago from phoenix, and i've gotta say we've already done more as a family in that short time than we ever did in arizona. we've been to lunch/dinner at some really cool restaurants, we've been on a ferry ride (which the kids loved!), we've been to snoqualmie falls, marina beach, bainbridge island, bothell landing plenty of times, etc etc. i think this place has so much more to offer than az ever did. i'm not a lover of california, so i can't understand why anyone would pick cali over wa, but to each his own. plus, i LOVE that there is actual weather here! one day it's 85* and sunny and the next it's 72* and drizzling. i love it here!
Only two months? You are still on your honeymoon, so of course,everything seems perfect and new to you. That's how it always is when you move to a new city. Try taking that ferry ride across the sound when it's 45 degrees and damp outside. And I guarantee you aren't going to driving to Snoqualmie when the roads are damp or when it's dark outside by 4:00pm.

Make sure your family stocks up on board games because your kids will be couped up in the house more than you think, considering you moved here from Arizona. You will LOVE it when the rainy season starts, then when you start to realize that the rest of the country is starting to warm up around April, while you are still wearing your fleece jacket, you'll start to get antsy. Just a warning.

Lots of good stuff about Seattle, too, just be aware of it's negatives.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM

328 posts, read 841,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meattle View Post
Only two months? You are still on your honeymoon, so of course,everything seems perfect and new to you. That's how it always is when you move to a new city. Try taking that ferry ride across the sound when it's 45 degrees and damp outside. And I guarantee you aren't going to driving to Snoqualmie when the roads are damp or when it's dark outside by 4:00pm.

Make sure your family stocks up on board games because your kids will be couped up in the house more than you think, considering you moved here from Arizona. You will LOVE it when the rainy season starts, then when you start to realize that the rest of the country is starting to warm up around April, while you are still wearing your fleece jacket, you'll start to get antsy. Just a warning.

Lots of good stuff about Seattle, too, just be aware of it's negatives.
The only person who can make that guarantee for mojodog38 IS mojodog38.

It's funny how some of us will assume to speak for others. These are YOUR sentiments. Let others come to their own conclusions.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 PM

119 posts, read 1,029,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meattle View Post
Looks like I struck a nerve with you? Anyways, I just call it as I see it. Lucky for you, you have someone. Being single is Seattle blows, really. People here are different, which is hard to explain. I don't hate Seattle, those are just some things I have issues with. I took the city for a test drive and now it's time for a newer model is all.

Chill out..

I am chill. You said yours was tongue in cheek, and so is mine. I don't absolutely love Seattle either, there are a few things I wish were different.

But, if this is the type of forum where you can express your opinion, but I can't express mine, than we have problems. You and BacktoSD said the things that bothered you, and I simply responded with how those don't bother me. I am just trying to show that the things you hate, others may love. Maybe you need to chill out. If you can't take it, don't dish it.

Seattle isn't for everybody, but neither is Miami, L.A., Fargo, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Anchorage, Nome, Houston, or any other city. I wouldn't live in half of those cities listed, yet people flock to them. Its all in personal taste.

You also seem to try to be dissuading a lot of people form liking Seattle. If they are having a good time, let them have the good time. Like the person above me stated.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM

53 posts, read 126,137 times
Thought I'd toss in my two cents on this ridiculous list:

1. None of my friends fit this description, and I have a lot of friends here. I've seen some of the people who you're referring to, but they're far from the majority, and I'm not friends with any of them.
2. Can't fight you on this one. If rain & clouds aren't your thing, they're not your thing.
3. "Nothing to do here"...wow. That's quite a statement. An ignorant statement, but a statement nonetheless. Are you bored with life or what?
4. Again, I don't have any friends who are left-wing hippies (though they certainly are more liberal than conservative, thank God). Apologizes for being white? Who are we talking about here?
5. Haven't met these hypocrites you speak of. Maybe because I didn't seek them out like you did.
6. This isn't the "coast." It's the coast of Puget Sound, but not the ocean, and thus the sand will be different here. And as for lack of sun, do you know how far north we are? You should also try hitting the beaches in the summer. Helps.
7. This may be the most idiotic claim you've made. And that's saying something.
8. Not sure why you think a burger from Burger King here isn't as good as one from a Burger King elsewhere. It's identical. As for In-N-Out "not wanting to be here," that's just completely false. They're slowly expanding north and east, and I know some day they will eventually make it up here. They're a corporation. They want to be everywhere.
9. I find it amusing that someone from California is complaining about the traffic here. Yeah, it can get rough, but it's a cakewalk compared to southern California. Cakewalk.
10. This depends entirely on where you live. Capitol Hill? Yeah, not so family friendly. Ravenna? Family friendly. You can't make a blanket statement on the entire city. Just doesn't work, amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoSanDiego View Post
Nothing screams liberal more than someone who lacks a sense of humor.
Yeah, Jon Stewart? That guy is such a conservative!! Stephen Colbert, too! Sacha Baron Cohen, Paul Rudd, Christopher Guest, Ricky Gervais, Judd Apatow, Conan O'Brien...right wingers, the lot of 'em!

Enjoy your new Republican neighbors!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:54 PM

119 posts, read 1,029,528 times
Haha WikiAdam. You nailed it. I am getting so tired of these blanket statement posts, they all seem to be the same. I mean, if you are going to try and bring a city down, at least come up with a new 'bad' thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area