Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 PM

18 posts, read 65,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
This is the lamest list of reasons i've ever seen. Not diverse enough for good food? Are you kidding? What type of food are you missing out on in Seattle beside the great Mexican food that SD has? Let me guess. You are conservative (possibly ex-military) from SD, moved here to go to school and can't wait to get back to where Del Taco and In n Out are just around the corner. If you ever move out of SD again I think Phoenix AZ is a place you might also find appealing.
Nice try, JR. Lived here 20 years, not in the military, oppose both the Iraq and Afghan wars, voted third party in the last election, working on a MA in psychology, currently working as a social worker with homeless teens. How conservative is that? Del Taco is terrible. And so is most of the food around here. Although I'll tip my hat to Daniel's Broiler.

I suppose anyone who disagrees with the fart left, thinks San Diego has more diversity, culture, and better food than here, must be a radical right wing, militaristic conservative.

I'll refrain from guessing as to your political orientation, although I'm pretty sure you might fit into point number one for me leaving Seattle.

Nothing screams liberal more than someone who lacks a sense of humor

Old 08-28-2009, 07:29 PM

pw72, I like you. I'll try not to contribute to the bankruptcy problem down there lol.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 PM

328 posts, read 839,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoSanDiego View Post
I post this for two reasons. One, because I can't contain my excitement anymore, I am leaving Seattle! Two, because I want to discourage other people from entering the mind numbing existence that is living in the Seattle is. As soon as I finish my Masters degree, my wife and I are heading to San Diego. I know it also has it's problems, but nothing compared to Seattle.

10 Reasons Seattle sucks:

1. Passive-aggressive, ultra-leftist hippies with more causes than friends
2. Constant rain and clouds resulting in massive amounts of SAD
3. Nothing to do here, and even if you find something to do the rain will probably spoil it for you
4. Lack of diversity--nearly everyone is a left-wing hippy who incessantly apologizes for being white while at the same time talking about how respectful of diversity they are (these are sad people with very guilty consciences)
5. For being one of the most educated cities in the nation, it is also statistically one of the least charitable (in terms of volunteering and parting with individual wealth for charitable causes)--if you move here you will be surrounded by people who pretend to care about others but won't lift a single finger to help their neighbor unless it means preaching your ear off about some self-righteous cause of theirs that always involves government redistribution of the wealth. They are hypocrites to the core.
6. We live on the coast but the beaches are missing fine sand and sun (what's the point?!)
7. Again NO real diversity which equals few exceptional places to eat
8. Even the fast food sucks here (Although I can't say I blame in-in-out burger for not wanting to be here)
9. Traffic (when I-5 is bad where else are you going to go? And I-5 is going to be bad)
10. Not family friendly at all (again, statistically there are more dogs than children in Seattle)

Now I know this post will be provocative, but I can't contain it anymore. Seattle is a terrible place to live, unless you are a radical, left-wing hippy hypocrite who worships the rain, teriyaki, Starbucks, who has a dog and is offended by people with kids, who doesn't mind sitting in traffic just to get nowhere.

Don't move here, especially if you are from California. It is NOT better.
A couple of points:
- You stated you want to "discourage" other people from moving here. People read these forums trying to get a "sense" of the community. While we are all entitled to express our opinions, be prepared to defend them. It's usually easier to do when one is not so caustic.
- I've lived here for eighteen of my fortyfour years. I've met all kinds from far left loonies to far right wing nuts. In my experience, most people here fall in the center if not left of center. To characterize Seattle as a bunch a passive-aggressive ultra-leftist hippies is a broad generalization to which I disagree. I do agree that we have more than our fair-share of passive-aggressive people, but I've seen this behavior in various parts of the country - so what.
-You knew your statements would be provacative, and consequently illicited some response. Now you tell all to lighten up? Again, they're your opinions and I'm pleased you shared them. But when you put this out on the internet, expect responses not only agreeing, but disagreeing.

Again, I wish you the best of luck on your move. I truly believe we should not stay where we're not happy.

Best Wishes to you and your family.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Why are people from California especially unhappy in Seattle? Much more so than transplants from other parts of the country?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
A couple of points:
- You stated you want to "discourage" other people from moving here. People read these forums trying to get a "sense" of the community. While we are all entitled to express our opinions, be prepared to defend them. It's usually easier to do when one is not so caustic.
- I've lived here for eighteen of my fortyfour years. I've met all kinds from far left loonies to far right wing nuts. In my experience, most people here fall in the center if not left of center. To characterize Seattle as a bunch a passive-aggressive ultra-leftist hippies is a broad generalization to which I disagree. I do agree that we have more than our fair-share of passive-aggressive people, but I've seen this behavior in various parts of the country - so what.
-You knew your statements would be provacative, and consequently illicited some response. Now you tell all to lighten up? Again, they're your opinions and I'm pleased you shared them. But when you put this out on the internet, expect responses not only agreeing, but disagreeing.

Again, I wish you the best of luck on your move. I truly believe we should not stay where we're not happy.

Thank you for your post. But I respectfully disagree with you. And I think posts like mine will discourage the right people from moving here. Anyone who thinks my post is extreme and ridiculous, or radically disagrees with me will probably enjoy it here. Other's may not, and better that they figure this out sooner than later.

I am also trying to be light hearted with this rather than bitter or spiteful. I hope my follow up posts reflect this. I have many friends who love Seattle, and my best friend just moved from Orange County to here. We argue all the time about it. Again, no disrespect. Just honest venting from one unsatisfied customer.

Thanks for your well-wishes. Best wishes to you too

Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times
Quote:
Nice try, JR. Lived here 20 years, not in the military, oppose both the Iraq and Afghan wars, voted third party in the last election, working on a MA in psychology, currently working as a social worker with homeless teens. How conservative is that? Del Taco is terrible. And so is most of the food around here. Although I'll tip my hat to Daniel's Broiler.

I suppose anyone who disagrees with the fart left, thinks San Diego has more diversity, culture, and better food than here, must be a radical right wing, militaristic conservative.

I'll refrain from guessing as to your political orientation, although I'm pretty sure you might fit into point number one for me leaving Seattle.

Nothing screams liberal more than someone who lacks a sense of humor
Okay so your not a conservative in the traditional sense but it seems by your post you can't stand people on the left and have a real issue with what you call "hippies." You got me wrong too. I am not a rabid liberal and I do have a sense of humor but I don't expect coyness and LOL's when I state my opinions that I know others might not like or agree with. What's more passive-aggressive then trying to rile people up with an anonymous online Seattle sucks rant and being suprised at what kind of response you get from people who like it here.

Last edited by jr75; 08-28-2009 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
A couple of points:

Exactly what I was trying to say but you said it better.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your post. But I respectfully disagree with you. And I think posts like mine will discourage the right people from moving here. Anyone who thinks my post is extreme and ridiculous, or radically disagrees with me will probably enjoy it here. Other's may not, and better that they figure this out sooner than later.

I am also trying to be light hearted with this rather than bitter or spiteful. I hope my follow up posts reflect this. I have many friends who love Seattle, and my best friend just moved from Orange County to here. We argue all the time about it. Again, no disrespect. Just honest venting from one unsatisfied customer.

Thanks for your well-wishes. Best wishes to you too
Ah...you are a twisted one Cool. No disrepect taken, And I guess we'll agree to respectfully disagree. I admit it was great to get a little riled up. Thanks for the ride! Perhaps you might do those of us who like it here a service and keep the masses away (and that's my twisted humor).

Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Exactly what I was trying to say but you said it better.
Thanks - and I stick to it

Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Why are people from California especially unhappy in Seattle? Much more so than transplants from other parts of the country?
I would venture to say there are more Californian transplants (due to proximity) so it's more likely to hear from Californians. The reasons in themselves would be as varied as for those from other regions. BacktoSanDiego has illustrated some of those reasons quite well. I myself think that every place has it's issues and it's a matter of trade offs.

The whole left/right thing is amusing in that California is why the West Coast is called the "Left Coast". So for anyone who professes wanting to be around "more normal" people by going to California seems contrary. Let me qualify by saying I have nothing against California and consider my self left of center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area