Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 27,571 times

Advertisements

My partner just got a job in Puyllaup Wa. We are moving from the midwest and I am looking for a community that will be accepting of our family. We have a 11 year old, a one year old and a baby on the way. Are there any communities with other same sex families. Good schools are a must and famly oriented neighborhood would be nice. We have never been to Wa before and will be visiting for the first time next month.

Thank you for all your advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM

343 posts, read 1,085,052 times
When it comes to acceptance, I don't think you'd have much of a problem anywhere in Seattle. Capitol Hill has always had a reputation of being the most gay friendly area of town though.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 PM

32 posts, read 149,091 times
Spaholsky528-

You and your family will most likely feel comfortable in any community in Western Washington. Honestly, I would be more concerned about your commute to and from work than choosing a community that is going to be accepting of same-sex couples with children.

I am a gay man with an East Indian partner who grew up just outside of New York City. I have lived in about five different areas of the country and I can tell you that Western Washington is by far the most accepting, if not ambivalent, locale I have lived in yet with regard to many issues. Even when compared to New York City, in my opinion. We have never, ever, felt a bad vibe coming from anyone with regard to our sexuality or because we are an inter-racial couple.

Best of luck on your move. Get out here quick, the weather is great...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 PM

328 posts, read 839,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaholsky528 View Post
My partner just got a job in Puyllaup Wa. We are moving from the midwest and I am looking for a community that will be accepting of our family. We have a 11 year old, a one year old and a baby on the way. Are there any communities with other same sex families. Good schools are a must and famly oriented neighborhood would be nice. We have never been to Wa before and will be visiting for the first time next month.

Thank you for all your advise.
I have lived in Seattle since '91 and neither I nor my partner have ever felt unwelcomed anywhere in Western Washington. We know a few same-sex couples with children here in West Seattle and it isn't an issue. Many of our neighbors take it for granted - which is great. Puyallup is much closer to Tacoma. You won't find the same concentration of gays and lesbians as in Seattle but I don't think you'll have a problem there either.

Sorry, I can't speak to the schools.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Puyallup itself is not famous for being particularly gay and lesbian friendly. But several neighborhoods in nearby Tacoma would seem to fit the bill, including Proctor, Stadium, Ruston, and the area just up from the Theatre district downtown....people do commute from Puyallup to Seattle. it's a bit of a schlep, and there are many neighborhoods in Seattle that gays and lesbians feel very comfortable in. But Tacoma is a lot closer to Puyallup than Seattle is, and housing costs are a lot lower.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:39 AM

204 posts, read 813,910 times
Puyallup has some relatively inexpensive rural areas nearby in case you like to live privately on acreage with your own big garden and a chicken coop, horse or two, and etc. Commuting into Puyallup is quick and easy from the outlying areas. Otherwise, for city living, Tacoma is the city of choice for easy commute to Puyallup, as Ira mentioned. You would never want to commute Seattle to Puyallup in my opinion. It may seem close on a map but that is a nightmare commute.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM
P38

2 posts, read 7,263 times
Look, even rural Yelm is gay tolerant. Just about everywhere in the Puget Sound will be a friendly place for you and your family.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 38,388 times
Default Please do not take this the wrong way....

I'm a Christian parent with three kids. I have sooooo many lesbian / bi sexual friends/associates in the PNW it is not even funny. I never really had lesbian friends before moving from San Diego, CA in Sept of 2007. Just about everyone here is open minded, accepting, friendly, etc. Seeing same sex couples 'kanoodling" used to make me uncomfortable, (non-judegment here). It was just something that I wasn't used to seeing. I never saw a same sex couple in my neighborhood growing up and have been involved in chuch (w/ church families) for most of my adulthood, so I never really had an opportunity to get to know any same sex couples.

One of my fav friends here is a lesbian and I even go with her to the gay club every now and then when she wants to be in her "community", but doesn't want to go it alone.

You guys would fit in just about anywhere in the Seattle/Tacoma area in my opinion. I'm not sure if things are more open since I live within a 2 mi radius from down town Tacoma and always have since I've been here (2 years).

I hope you guys have a blast while you're here!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Puyallup itself is not famous for being particularly gay and lesbian friendly. But several neighborhoods in nearby Tacoma would seem to fit the bill, including Proctor, Stadium, Ruston, and the area just up from the Theatre district downtown....people do commute from Puyallup to Seattle. it's a bit of a schlep, and there are many neighborhoods in Seattle that gays and lesbians feel very comfortable in. But Tacoma is a lot closer to Puyallup than Seattle is, and housing costs are a lot lower.
I agree with this 100%.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM

32 posts, read 75,455 times
I don't have a ton of advice for you being fairly new myself, but I wanted to say welcome!

Also, I wanted to let you know that my husband's parents are lesbians and are thinking of moving to Puyallup. So while there are probably friendlier areas, it is still pretty friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area