Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 5,126 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend has been offered a job with her company in the Seattle office, which is located on 3rd Ave. This would be significant promotion for her, but we had a few questions we were hoping someone could answer for us, before we make any decisions.
She would be making between $55-60k. I will be looking for work once there, or continue my online business I currently run.
We are a lesbian couple with no children, and weed friendly. Which are two things that make Seattle a possible better place for us, as we are currently living in West Virginia. We have both lived in larger areas such as Florida and NY, but never a large city. Would Capital Hill be a good place for us to live? How is the travel time with or without a car from there to 3rd Ave? Any other location suggestions?
We would be renting an apartment, and would like to stay around $1300 if possible. Any suggestions? She has a co-worker who we could stay with while we search for a place.
We are in our early thirties but prefer a more relaxed atmosphere, good dining, coffee shops, etc.. as opposed to night clubs and such.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Capitol Hill is a pretty big area, it's sort of several different neighborhoods within a neighborhood. Broadway, or the Pike Pine corridor might be the closest to downtown( 10-15 minutes to work?) but would not be what I'd call a relaxed atmosphere, it's busy. Up the hill, 15th Avenue East is mellower. But all of Capitol Hill is a bit on the pricey side, and you won't get much for 1300 dollars. Maybe look a little south at the Columbia City neighborhood. Friendly, fun, neighborhoody, weed friendly, and less expensive than Capitol Hill. Great summer farmer's market. The light rail line is just a few blocks a way, so getting downtown would be a snap.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 AM

122 posts, read 202,700 times
I wouldn't call Capitol Hill a relaxed atmosphere. It has a lot of night clubs and bars. It's getting built up and it's getting even more crowded than it used to be when I lived up there. Travel from there to downtown would be a snap, though. You could stay with your girlfriends co-worker and check out some neighborhoods. Columbia City is getting gentrified and there are some good dining places there. My new bride and I live in West Seattle. It has recently been called Capitol Hill West because there is a large gay/lesbian population there. We used to be one of three houses in a row of gay or lesbian owners. It's a little cheaper over there and very much has a neighborhood feel to it. The commute downtown would be about 20-30 minutes by bus, depending on when she left for work.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:21 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
A lesbian, weed smoking couple in Seattle is not limited to Capitol Hill, just in case you were worried about the demographics. You could live anywhere in this region. West Seattle is subdued and very accessible to downtown, for example.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:22 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Would Capital Hill be a good place for us to live?

I live on the Hill and would say "probably". Capitol Hill is demographically very young (I'm 36 and starting to feel a bit old occasionally when I walk down the street!), and if it is anything it is weed-friendly and gay-friendly. It has many many dining options and cafes, but also a lot of nightlife too... it really depends on the part of the hill and the time of day. Cap Hill is very near the city, and parts of it feel like you're in a bigger city, but parts of it are more quiet and residential.

How is the travel time with or without a car from there to 3rd Ave?

It depends on what part of the Hill you're going to/from, but generally speaking Cap Hill to the center of downtown is a brief bus ride or a 10-25 minute walk. I usually just walk it.

We would be renting an apartment, and would like to stay around $1300 if possible.

Totally possible on the Hill, but don't expect a big place with a lot of amenities.

Any other location suggestions?

It depends on how much you two value being walking distance from downtown. If that's a priority, there's also First Hill, which is a little more urban-feeling than the Hill, overall.

If it's not... well, jeez, lots of places. Ballard, Ravenna, Greenwood...

Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
....also Ballard, Wallingford, Fremont, Green Lake, Magnolia, and Queen Anne.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post
I wouldn't call Capitol Hill a relaxed atmosphere. It has a lot of night clubs and bars.
It really depends on the part of the Hill, though. Some parts are very quiet indeed. And yeah, some parts are very loud and active.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,126 times
Thanks for all the input! I'm pretty lost when it comes to different areas. I will be looking into West Seattle as well now. What's the word on Columbia City? I basically just want somewhere that is gay and weed friendly, safe, and not a large commute to downtown, but she will possibly being working from home quite often.
Capital Hill may be a little to busy for us. Our budget could be a little higher for something nice, I was just estimating low

Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post
I wouldn't call Capitol Hill a relaxed atmosphere. It has a lot of night clubs and bars. It's getting built up and it's getting even more crowded than it used to be when I lived up there. Travel from there to downtown would be a snap, though. You could stay with your girlfriends co-worker and check out some neighborhoods. Columbia City is getting gentrified and there are some good dining places there. My new bride and I live in West Seattle. It has recently been called Capitol Hill West because there is a large gay/lesbian population there. We used to be one of three houses in a row of gay or lesbian owners. It's a little cheaper over there and very much has a neighborhood feel to it. The commute downtown would be about 20-30 minutes by bus, depending on when she left for work.
Yes! West Seattle's great, and pretty. It too is several neighborhoods in one. The Admiral District is lovely but a bit pricey. But the Alaska Junction neighborhood is great, and also between there and Morgan Junction. Other parts too. Definitely look at West Seattle.
I wouldn't rule out Ballard either.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:49 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Seattle as a whole is gay- and weed-friendly. That really shouldn't even be a consideration as its something you can take for granted. (There was an article not too long ago starting that Seattle now has overtaken San Francisco in terms of coupled gays.)

Yea, lots of good of choices around. If you look around on the forum, there's threads that describe the general vibe ("personality") of each neighborhood. In addition to all that already mentioned, look into Georgetown and Beacon Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area